Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Grundy-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Would you reccomend this boat as a pretty durable and easy to operate boat? Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:38 PM
MsDarla

Default RE: SHOCKWAVE 55 SS IS IT A GOOD BOAT?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the price range I think you could find more durable boats such as the Warehouse hobbies boats or one of several other starter boats. I would consider the Shockwave a slight notch ahead of the Egg Shell durability of the Miss Dud and V24 Aquacraft. Worth noting the Miss Dud also came from the same manufacturers as the Shockwave.

If you carefully tighten/check everything before/after each use its an excellent boat
Kidding right ?? What are we running here ? Indy cars. If it is a boat that wants to fall apart then I dont think I would want to call it "an excellant boat" or respond to a question regarding durability with such a quote.. In my 20 years running gas (not nitro - gas) I have never met any gas boater who carefully tightens any nut or bolt before or after any run
Old 08-29-2006, 07:26 AM
MsDarla

Old 08-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Justaddwata

I build things right the first time. Nothing come undone on my builds.

I am thinking more about the fact that Proboat use about as much resin to build a boat as most US builders use in making a hatch. Cant say much for durability but who knows. Have not heard many with the newer version with much positive or negative to say. Perhaps after Proboats past efforts there is not much of a following. [&o]

Out of curiosity Darla - did the owners manual say "it is an excellent boat" ??
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
MsDarla

Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
hpiguy

I see that JustAddWata is making friends again.

Anyway, do a search on the SS on this site and the regular internet. There have been a few reviews. It is all new and is supposed to be much better than the regular Shockwave it replaced.

I have not seen a bad review of it yet and of all the ones they have sold, noone has posted here about major problems. So where Wata gets his opinion of this boat is unknown. It is unlikely he has driven or even seen one of the SS boats in person yet.

I have seen video of it and it really moves out. Check the video section of RCU for it.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:30 PM
xxxboatworks

I have seen and driven a few in person. The hardware is average at best, the hull quality is below average, the clutch is garbage, the pipe is not very effective- still not a bad deal for the money and much better than the original shockwave. The boat handles well up to about 45mph. The hull is not worthy of an upgraded motor. That's about all I can say.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Justaddwata

It is unlikely he has driven or even seen one of the SS boats in person yet.
What do I know
Old 12-18-2006, 11:24 PM
nshumway

I have a shockwave 55 SS and I am very pleased with the performance- sure there are better but that will really cost you. I have had 0 hull issues and the boat has always run reliably. I think the JR radio it comes with could be better but other than that I am not sure what you would improve. It isn't meant for a "professional" hobbyist. I make some accessories for the Shockwave and you can see them at www.nshumway.com
Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 AM
shumzz

Nshumway
you say you have the SWSS55 and you like it? For the money you spent your happy? How many hours do you have on it now?
Reason for me asking is I'm considering the Blackjack 55 and I’m sure it’s very similar other then the fact of hull design of course.
What do you think
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM
nshumway

I got my shockwave last July and it has probably been in the water about 10 hours so far. I think the quality is very good overall but there are a couple small issues I have run into. First, the rubber rudder pushrod boots seem to break often- not a big deal though. Second, if you aren't watching the rope from the pull start will cut a groove in the hull but the top covers it up. Lastly the heads of the drivers and the windshield are flimsy. Again though not a big deal to me.

The Shoctwave 55 SS is quite fast out of the box and turns on a dime- it has been great fun thus far. I even made a kit that allows the boat to be driven electrically in case it stalls or you run out of gas. I have several other gadgets as well. Let me know if you need a remote kill switch or something like that.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM
MsDarla

Thanks nshumway,Sounds really neat.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

Hey, even RCBM (that panders worthlessly to Proboat for advertising $$) picked the WHH Team Enforcer Pro over the Shockwave SS in a recent test. They can be had for practically the same money if you are savvy and IMHO the Team Enforcer has it all over the SS in looks and quality wise it is 100% better than the SS.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while the latter said may be true,could you pick one up (enforcer) for under 400.00 bucks, the bang for the buck lies in the shockwave,they are out there
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM
nshumway

Considering the enforcer is 9 inches shorter and $1400 with the radio- shouldn't it be better? $400 more in a smaller boat? Am I wrong?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:03 PM
mopartybob

sorry for the confusion,I bought my shockwave for under 400.00$,TOTAL,minus elec. thats where the BANG comes in,good deal,good boat .
Old 12-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Flabum

If Proboat put just a little more effort into their boats, they would have a great product. Simple things such as glassing in the stringers (engine rails), better job of bonding the hull and deck and a little better quality running gear (rudders) and lastly, some better quality control such as making sure the engine alignment is correct.

The line between quality and junk is well defined, but easily crossed.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Davcruz

ORIGINAL: Flabum

If Proboat put just a little more effort into their boats, they would have a great product. Simple things such as glassing in the stringers (engine rails), better job of bonding the hull and deck and a little better quality running gear (rudders) and lastly, some better quality control such as making sure the engine alignment is correct.

The line between quality and junk is well defined, but easily crossed.
Well said sir!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 AM
Davcruz

ORIGINAL: nshumway

Considering the enforcer is 9 inches shorter and $1400 with the radio- shouldn't it be better? $400 more in a smaller boat? Am I wrong?
It is not better because it is slightly smaller, it is better because of the superb craftsmanship put into every boat that comes out of that USA factory in FL. Remember, Enforcer boats are built by the guy that almost founded the big gas boat hobby.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What RCBM did was an unfair comparison as they should have ran a lower priced WHH boat with the others. They did with what they had to test with.
If it was my choice, I'd go with a WHH boat as it does have a hevier lay-up for the hull and will take a beating well. I've only seen the original Shockwave 55 run and while I wasn't impressed with the speed, it did seem to handle well as we were running during a windy, choppy day not to mention cold and wet.

I don't know how many of you have raced R/C cars and trucks but I did for a good 6 years. When I'd go out and buy the latest, greatest truck of the week, I'd have to go out and buy the aftermarket parts right away as the stock parts would break right away or I'd have to get the latest part for it to be competitive. When you're done, you've got 2 piles, one of what you bought in the first place and the other, the truck that that has very little left of it was was original. No RTR is perfect but with the boats I feel that we're doing better than the 4-wheelers.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:16 PM
mopartybob

being the true hobbyist that WE are,are WE at all ever really satisfied [:-],not me,at least not until my tools and fingers are exercised ,
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Flabum

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

being the true hobbyist that WE are,are WE at all ever really satisfied [:-],not me,at least not until my tools and fingers are exercised ,

so that's why we buy tools

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33190.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	581909  
Old 12-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Davcruz

Ron, the Team is the same layup as all the Enforcer boats if I am not mistaken, and I know it is the same hull as the SS and G. The SS would have been closer in price, but it is the same as the Team in performance with the one exception of the canister muffler. It will still out run the Shockwave, but so will the A/C Super G.

I will admit you made some valid points in your statement. But really, is the Shockwave the BEST that China can do?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 PM
edmkills

Hey don't blame China for proboat its an american company. It would be hard to believe that they are unaware of the state of their products. Bad crap can be made anywhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.