Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Hey guys,I have been tracking this from the start.I must say that If this rig is holding up on lake O for Dockman then it's pretty tuff! I have beat several hulls up in that area. Even a few full size tunnels I've had have it rough there.Dockman,do you run in the back of bollinger creek?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM

I have allways built my boats,but I have had a proboat hydro toothat I just sold.(It was a little weak at the seams)but it rangood for a rtr.I have yet to put the BJ55 through it paces and it will get modded like the rest.Time will tell,but thats half the fun of this hobby.</p>
Old 10-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Showme, I do not run in the back of Bollinger. I do know where it is and I did run my boat once during the week by the old iron smelter back in July. If you have a place there we need to hook up??
Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Dockman,I used to live downthere.We still have a place just up from the smelter past the island and across from eagles rock where my folks live.Lake rd 7-9.
Sounds like fun to hook up and run the boats.I use to own a house that was close to the smelter 2nd tier.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM

I got to get my black jack wet for the first time.I took it to Rocky hollow in Excelsior springs.It is a small lake where they race boats here.the water was glass.The boat has not been set up by me.I left it alone till I ran it to see where it is at by previous owner.The motor has been modded and seems to turn on pretty good(piston,head,intake carb,ect,).I have no way to check the rpms or speeds here.Compared to previous boats I would say maybey 40mph tops!(Just eyeballin)The motor was screaminformore prop.The boat would blow it out during accel, then take a set and go.The hull wants to bow hook and actually snapped a rudder off.(I was going to change them out anyway.)Strut might be a lttle high as the boat tries to lift the transom in the corners and does a little chine walkin under blowout,but will set the prop.I brought in some algea(Seaweed)but did'nt clip anything solid.I need to do some setup work and start a log to keep track of changes.The prop isthe prather 270and has not been touched yet.(still has slag lines)The strut sets @ 1/8 above the bracket on top.The bracketis mounted@ 3/8 above the tunnel.How does this compare to others here?I need a good prop to load the motor and air out the hull..All of my props are two blade thatI have and 150mi away.(At the lake house)I'm leaning towards a three blade.I need something to get me closer as it seems pointless to make too many changes with this prop.I have been taking notes on some of yours so far.Sugestions,and thoughtsare allways wellcome.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:44 PM

On my big tunnels I would bring the prop up as high as I could till it blew out,then down just enough to take a set.They would blow out under a hard acceleration too,but flew on top!
Most of my V-hulls and pad style boats were similar.As for the props,I would go up in pitch till the speed dropped off.I would lose a few rpms but as long as the speed increased it was all good.(Unless Iwas drag racing.Thats another deal.)
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 PM

I've gotten mine reliably into the mid fifties with a 7015/3 from Dasboata. I set the boat on a flat surface, table etc., and measure about an 8 mm gap between the ferrule where the flex shaft meets prop shaft and the table top. I set rudders and strut to a zero to possibly 1/2 degree negative trim.

Many have gone with the Aeromarine rudder upgrade. Works well for me. You need to trim the flat on the front of the rudders and sharpen them. Once that's done you can ditch the stock water pickups and use the rudder pickups. Gained nearly 3mph just from that.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: showme

I got to get my black jack wet for the first time.I took it to Rocky hollow in Excelsior springs.It is a small lake where they race boats here.the water was glass.The boat has not been set up by me.I left it alone till I ran it to see where it is at by previous owner.The motor has been modded and seems to turn on pretty good(piston,head,intake carb,ect,).I have no way to check the rpms or speeds here.Compared to previous boats I would say maybey 40mph tops!(Just eyeballin)The motor was screaminformore prop.The boat would blow it out during accel, then take a set and go.The hull wants to bow hook and actually snapped a rudder off.(I was going to change them out anyway.)Strut might be a lttle high as the boat tries to lift the transom in the corners and does a little chine walkin under blowout,but will set the prop.I brought in some algea(Seaweed)but did'nt clip anything solid.I need to do some setup work and start a log to keep track of changes.The prop isthe prather 270and has not been touched yet.(still has slag lines)The strut sets @ 1/8 above the bracket on top.The bracketis mounted@ 3/8 above the tunnel.How does this compare to others here?I need a good prop to load the motor and air out the hull..All of my props are two blade thatI have and 150mi away.(At the lake house)I'm leaning towards a three blade.I need something to get me closer as it seems pointless to make too many changes with this prop.I have been taking notes on some of yours so far.Sugestions,and thoughtsare allways wellcome.
look at the post "in the 50's" by dockman....all the info you need is there. good luck
-scott

Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM

I got to get my black jack wet for the first time.I took it to Rocky hollow in Excelsior springs.It is a small lake where they race boats here.the water was glass.The boat has not been set up by me.I left it alone till I ran it to see where it is at by previous owner.The motor has been modded and seems to turn on pretty good(piston,head,intake carb,ect,).I have no way to check the rpms or speeds here.Compared to previous boats I would say maybey 40mph tops!(Just eyeballin)The motor was screamin for more prop.The boat would blow it out during accel, then take a set and go.The hull wants to bow hook and actually snapped a rudder off.(I was going to change them out anyway.)Strut might be a lttle high as the boat tries to lift the transom in the corners and does a little chine walkin under blowout,but will set the prop.I brought in some algea(Seaweed)but did'nt clip anything solid.I need to do some setup work and start a log to keep track of changes.The prop is the prather 270 and has not been touched yet.(still has slag lines)The strut sets @ 1/8 above the bracket on top.The bracket is mounted @ 3/8 above the tunnel.How does this compare to others here?I need a good prop to load the motor and air out the hull..All of my props are two blade that I have and 150mi away.(At the lake house)I'm leaning towards a three blade.I need something to get me closer as it seems pointless to make too many changes with this prop.I have been taking notes on some of yours so far.Sugestions,and thoughts are allways wellcome.
Your strut is to high and get you a 6717 3 blade prop from any of the prop guys. Do not trim the strut up, just slide it straight up and down until you find the sweet spot. You can get a tach (Tiny Tach)for around $65. I velco my gps in the floor of the boat to check speed. If you want I can get you the phone number and part number for the Tiny tach? Where is your lake house?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM

I had a set of aero marine rudders,but I broke up the set and sold one on my last boat.I'm a firm believer in them.I could go to just one,but I like havin two back there.Dockman,our place is straight accross from the rock that everyone jumps from.("Eagles rock")
@42mi mark.(Sherwood forest)
I was going to go down this weekend since it was nice,but the wife is workin till noon tomorrow.
The tiny tach would be great!I've been lookin for a newgpsfor a while too.(what unit are you using?)We was using an old dopplerspeed gun that we used for the big boats but, it's to hard to get a good pick up on a small boat.
I'm deffinatly settin a little high on the strut compared to some of yours here.I will dropp it to @ 8mm and see how it does.I'm not gonna get much with this prop but I'll get every thing closer till I get the new one.
Any info and or part numbers will save me time.
Thanks Guy's
Showme.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM

The next time you come down to the lake let me know. I have a really nice pond to run my boat at and I'll take you there. You can try my prop and use my gps, after we play we'll hit Oh Tommy's for a cold one. The next time I go test I wil be trying the 8mm strut also (as per PEERPSI recommendation). I' am not a guy that keeps secrets about my setups so let's go learn and have some fun at the same time.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Oh so far to date 5mm has been the best strut height for me. But when I try 7mm it was binding up and not a good test. I have rebent my stuff tube for a 8mm test.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Dockman

The next time you come down to the lake let me know. I have a really nice pond to run my boat at and I'll take you there. You can try my prop and use my gps, after we play we'll hit Oh Tommy's for a cold one. The next time I go test I wil be trying the 8mm strut also (as per PEERPSI recommendation). I' am not a guy that keeps secrets about my setups so let's go learn and have some fun at the same time.
Sounds great!
I have not got to mess with the boat today,but I'm gonna try later.I was pokin around my hobby room in the garage and got to messin with one of my 1/4 scale gas cars (sprint)that also runs a modded zehnoa.It had not been started for a while so I played with it a while instead of the boat.I don't have room to run it here either.I would like to Gps it someday too.I need to get one!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM

I got to start on the boat tonight so I pulled the prop and strut and worked them.I tapered and feathered the leading and trailing edge on the strut and started cleaning up the 270.I'm still undecided on the prop so I'm gonna clean this one up for now I'm a surface drive fan and not fond of this strut at all in stock form.Feathering it will help on blow out when it is deep.(The flat front and back on the strut can cause cavitation.)It don't take much air to break a prop loose.This might not make a big differance and probably none on top(since it will mostly run below the shaft)but now I know it's done..
Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM

Actually when the boat is on plane the hub of the prop and strut shouldn't be in the water. It's a surface drive system so only 60 to 70 percent of the radius should be in the water.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 PM

I got to start on the boat tonight so I pulled the prop and strut and worked them.I tapered and feathered the leading and trailing edge on the strut and started cleaning up the 270.I'm still undecided on the prop so I'm gonna clean this one up for now I'm a surface drive fan and not fond of this strut at all in stock form.Feathering it will help on blow out when it is deep.(The flat front and back on the strut can cause cavitation.)It don't take much air to break a prop loose.This might not make a big differance and probably none on top(since it will mostly run below the shaft) but now I know it's done..
Front of strut should be tapered and sharpened but the rear left flat across with sharp square edges but it will not make or break the setup.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Yeap,you arerite,it is a surface drive.I should have said stinger type.
Idon't think it's gonna make a big differance but out of the hole it should make for less air in front of the prop.(When it is submerged)
Like a stepped hull, a flat trailing edge will draw in air.For no longer than it will be in the water it was probably a waste of time to do it, but it's done.LOL!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM
My Feedback: (1)

1st Id like to say thanks for all the real world updates on this boat.

Ok,

Just bought a BJ55 off my buddy, its completely stock minus a prop. Have a question and than I'm going to start modding some things, I'm gonna get motor work done etc and I am going to order the Areomarine rudder unless their better ones out now?

1st off, people still use these boats right? lol

I would like to know what bearing I should use (model number and where to get please) for the clutch, I think I read thats the bad part of these clutches. I am ordering new shoes and springs and want to replace that bearing also.

Thanks, Ill take some pics once I start, shes all dissembled now.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Also, thinking of just totally replacing the clutch with a aftermarket Ive read about in this thread. Which ones are the best for this boat that doesn't require a ton of modding and extra parts?

Crap, another thing, whats the best "hard" throttle set up that'll eliminate the cable?
Thanks.

I know I'm sort of asking questions again thats already been asked, but almost a year has passed since this thread has been posted on and would like UTD info. Thanks guys!!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Crap.
I knew it,
Im the only one left with this boat!!
lol

Anyone?

Id also like to know what I should do to the motor since it hasent started in a year? Just put fuel in it and try and start it or? And a couple more questions I posted up above,

Thanks...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
My Feedback: (5)

i would spray wd40 down the plug hole and into the carb to loosen up any deposits.start with your needles at 2 1/4 low and 7/8 high to get a base line to see how it runs and tune from there approx a 1/4 turn + or -.check your plug to make sure it's not all gummed up.gap it to about 15 thou. make sure the plug is an ngk cmr7h because the champion plugs bust off and drop down the cylinder."not pretty" the proboat clutch is a total abortion so don't even try it.arrowshark seems to have a pretty solid clutch for the money. hard throttle setup would be to turn the throttle servo 90 degrees and run a 4 40 wire to a bellcrank setup. try a speed master setup it's a good solid performer.anything else and i will try to help
Mark
Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks so much Mark for your help and info. I did the WD40, took the carb apart cleaned screens etc. Mucho looser now.

I went to my local hobby shop and ordered the things I need for it and itll be in close to the end of this week.

I did send you a PM to ask some misc things.

Thanks again Mark

Mike.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM

I would ditch the clutch and water pump all together. Once you get use to it it is the best way. I went to an IV bag and removed the hard tank which opened that space up for a direct throttle linkage. I have a set of the aeromarine rudders if you want to make me an offer? I went to a single rudder on mine.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 PM

Hello Dockman,

I thought about that idea of getting rid of the clutch and water pump, but I thought for where I am going to use this boat and my son and wife will be also, I just think it ll be better for us to have it. But I am sure that its MUCH cheaper just to ditch it all together, may I ask where and part numbers to the whole clutch less system? Maybe Ill go clutchless for now, see if we like it and than switch back to the clutch if we don't like it.

What IV bag did you go with and is there any other parts that I would need to do this option?

Also which direct throttle system did you use.

Sorry man, but I just want to get the right parts the 1st time and don't want to order from a place thats not reliable. So thats why I ask where you guys shop online.

I was also thinking of going single rudders, less drag right? = more speed? Better turning?

Thanks again Dockman.

Mike

ORIGINAL: Dockman

I would ditch the clutch and water pump all together. Once you get use to it it is the best way. I went to an IV bag and removed the hard tank which opened that space up for a direct throttle linkage. I have a set of the aeromarine rudders if you want to make me an offer? I went to a single rudder on mine.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:54 PM

I don't know where it is at but, somewhere on here (RCU) I post a parts list of everything needed to go clutchless. Do I BJ55 search and look for it. When you find it it all comes from Warehouse Hobbies. I have since went even a different route where the strut sleeve pushes up into the stuffing tube and you can get them parts about anywhere. The best place to get parts is www.gizmomotors.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.