Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Old 08-04-2007, 12:29 AM
jerseynick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

One other thing you might want to do buy a rechargable pack, Battery meter and switch with a charging jack. I have this setup on all my boats so i dont have to open up the radio box. on your boats its a real pain in the butt! Good luck let me know how you make out.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 AM
GRA

is it really a £900 boat or what thanks
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your going to leave your radio box sealed,you need a resealable vent hole to allow moisture to evaporate or you'll end up with corroded /green connections....[:-]
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 AM
shumzz

On my BJ55 I run no clutch and no water pump. I use a stainless P275 prop cut, balanced, and polished. My new add on was a NGK Ridium spark plug. I follow WH rule on oil mix, I use Amsoil 1.100. I use Marvel Air Tool oil after a day of running and blow out all the water in the cooling system. Pull the flex shaft and grease it up real good. Once and a wile I have to pull the pipe off the header and re-seal the connection with Hi temp copper silicone, this keeps it from leaking water. The last thing I do is condition the NiCad pack in my boat to keep it from building a memory.

I have had all the same issues clutch, cooling, pore execration, stuff just falling apart or rattling loose. Not being able to get parts from horizon hobbies. All this was with in the first few months then I started to learn more and got rid of some of the bad habits of the boat and now she runs real nice and reliable. I run mine every weekend at the lake we go skiing on and it get nasty out there for this 55"r but it takes its beatings and comes back for more every time. I have beached it crashed it on the rocks and even hit my real 19' boat, not hard but I have some stress cracks. It still runs, floats, does not leek, and still looks good.

Keep trying new things and have fun.

If you’re still not happy you can always sell it, right?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
harleridr

Hi Shumzz,
Any thoughts on my cooling problem? I'm using the rudders that you suggested from Aeromarine greatest thing since water many thanks
Fred
Old 08-05-2007, 10:57 AM
shumzz

I would try to run the boat by-passing the water pump. (Not using thee pump) Run the boat close to you looking at the water outlets. They should have a nice flow to them.
You should be able to also run the boat on land using the water pump and pulling water from a bucket or some thing. You will have to disconnect from the rudders pull the lines out and drop them in water. At idle a small amount of water will flow as you give it gas you should see water flow change a bit. This will tell you your pump and vacuum is good. You might need to look at the water pickups on the rudders seeing how you’re using the Aero setup. See if you can do the same above fill cups of water up and put a rudder in each. If your not using a clutch WATCH OUT! For that prop. Don’t over rev the engine out of water small bursts.
You should move the water pump as close to the engine as possible making the "vacuum line as short as possible", that’s the goal.

Next and if all this works out might need to richen the High speed needle 1/16 to 1/8 at a time SMALL amounts. Run a nice wide, flat out run. 1 lap. Bring it in and check the plug. Should look tan. If it’s black to rich and could be bad fuel or too much oil. If white or gray to lean.

Check the fuel lines for pin holes. The tank for leeks. When running it on land, do you see air bubbles in the fuel lines? This will cause loss in fuel pressure or flow and causing a lean running engine that runs hot. Should be a good flow of fuel, might have teeny tiny itsy bitsy bubbles but not a lot.

I noticed an increase in temp using the 275 prop going in the turns. I had to change my driving a bit. More easy on the gas and wider turns.
Also the summer weather has made a huge difference for me in AZ coming from CA.

I use a Bonzi cooling head and no pump on my setup.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
simonmiller

Have been reading through this Blackjack section cause I wanted to find an answer about the water pump.

I am new to boating and have been running and tuning the engine in by connecting my water scopes to water line which I have placed in a bucket.

I get a very good flow of water out of the boat at idle and half power but once I really open it up the water does not eject out of the side of the boat but as soon as I bring the power back a little I get a good flow of water again.

Am i correct in thinking that if the boat was opened up on the lake the water pump would not need to do all the work itself and water would flow just as if you were at idle power and the pump was doing the work or do i have a problem in that the boat even at full power in my bank garden should eject water.

As I said, this boating is all very new to me!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct-a-mundo in your assesment,at half-throttle and above, the force of the water thru the pick-ups(when the boat is MOVING THRU the water)will supply the cooling ....[:-]
Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
shumzz

This is a picture and a video of the BJ55. I was at the lake for 5 days and ran the boat every day. I had not one problem, I was happy about that. I did flip it twice in the ruff water over the 5 days but as you see here it was still running on the last day. I ran about 1gal of gas the entire 5 days. I ran about 90gal in the 19’ Jetboat.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/TTB8VXL443P342ZJ

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
myrcsupply

ORIGINAL: shumzz

This is a picture and a video of the BJ55. I was at the lake for 5 days and ran the boat every day. I had not one problem, I was happy about that. I did flip it twice in the ruff water over the 5 days but as you see here it was still running on the last day. I ran about 1gal of gas the entire 5 days. I ran about 90gal in the 19’ Jetboat.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/TTB8VXL443P342ZJ

Nice to see that others feel the same way.
I have a 19ft jet with a BBF. 600bucks in fuel for the weekend. And i tug my BJ55 with me all the time...

Benjamin[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16170.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	752595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18263.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	752596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41877.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	752597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98037.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	752598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48535.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	752599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm81799.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	752600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw41747.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	752601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ji28876.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	752602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv34468.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	752603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc29720.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	752604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw92791.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	752605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al52786.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	752606  
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
myrcsupply

sorry for the double post...

does anyone know if the PRB2263 Cable Collett (from the old 1/8 miss bud) will work as a direct drive conversion on the BJ55?

I dont have any at this warehouse, so i thought someone here might have a quick answer to that question.

Thanks guys.

UPDATE:
I orderd the items for direct drive from WHH. They informed me that i needed another flex shaft and had to solder it together.
Anyone here have an image of a completed version?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:34 AM
Rowley15

Has anyone considered putting a twin zen inline in the BJ? Would it fit?
Would hull handle it? would it be worthwhile.
I love my BJ but thinking of the upgrade.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
stempak

that would definately give it alot more torque that I think it needs. I know one guy that put a qdht. in it and it would do about 60mph but at 55 it got loose. I don,t know if it had a skeeged strut(I,m pretty sure it didn"t) or if he added any weight up front? It would be fun to try it though. or another way that would probably be best when avail. is 2 20cc"s as they will probably be at 10hp or alittle more. and would weigh around the same weight as one 26cc.

Another option would be a sick27cc they have more torque than a 26.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41803.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	754418  
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
stempak

Is your motor modded at all? they look like they run pretty darn good for a (play) boat to me.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM
Rowley15

Got some mild mods, pipe big bore carb etc. Guess I'm just bored and thinking of options to make it really hop
Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM
stempak

you might wana have the piston lightened, ported and polished comp raised etc. and your motor will likely double in power!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM
myrcsupply

anyone else having turning issues with the stock setup?

adjustments of the prop do yeld changes on-plane (high speed) turning, but this thing dont respond at all to my idle turning..

running the clutchless conversion, all else is stock, with hump pack bat, and Spektrum rx.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Rowley15

Mine is a little confused too, it turns on a dime to the right but labours to the left.

why?

All setups are equal throw, angle etc

could it be the torque of the engine/prop ?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:29 PM
miami88

what would be good scrap the hole bj 55 cat and add the g23 stage 4 , spectrum radio , now u hav a cat / 35cc qd engine
Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 PM
shumzz

Hi,
Rowley15 & myrcsupply

I’m no pro, but the torque of the engine and prop walk is the reason for turning to the left is so hard, it also won't go straight, it wants to go to the right.

I use a M11 transmitter not the XR3 transmitter but this should not make a difference. I have my steering trim set to 0 or in the middle. My End-point travel to the left is set to 85% and to the right is 100%. This could be different to your likening. With the transmitter set this way I then setup my boat's rudders to be set with a slight turn to the left, keeping my servo arms even with each other keeping the throw of the servo arms equal. I then run the boat and fine tune from the transmitter.

My boat's rudders are lowered and I use Hitec Ultra Torque metal gear servos
I posted this setup in this subject, should be able to find it if you have not already.

I was able to get allot better control with this setup. Equal steering from left to right, right will still happen a little faster and could end up in a flip but only when I really push it. To the right is nice, I like driving to the right because I can take the boat full speed into a wide turn and not lose it. At idle I do use a little throttle to turn, from idle to full speed I have to give very little steering input to keep it straight.

I don't know what the Pro's do about engine torque and prop walk but this is my formula, hope it gives some ideas.

Have fun
Shumzz
Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Rowley15

Makes sense. shot shumzz
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
myrcsupply

Not sure if anyone has asked this question, but what size is the prop shaft on the BJ55?

Iv just been getting the prop shims to make the aftermarket props fit on my shaft, anyone here swapped it out for a larger shaft? or you guys just shimming them like me?
anyone know where to purchase the correct shim so i dont have to make them?

just wondering... thanks

ALSO - does anyone know what size shaft we are working with here, im getting mixed information from my customer, and then from proboat....

Im out at the lake, and have no good way to tell.
When i get home tonight ill find out if no one here has the info.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM
myrcsupply

its a 1/4in prop shaft on the BJ55....

another question for you guys.

i droped the direct drive into the boat, and Namba requires that i dont bring the boat in "hot", so i had to make some adjustments to the linkage to the carb, and remove the idle set screw, so that i could set the direct trim to hold idle, and then kill it form the TX when comming into the pits.

but for some reason the cable is causing me trouble. it seems that it will not return to the same position when the trigger is released, sometimes its really high idle, and other times its so low that it dies.. I have tried to setup sub-trims to counter that, and make sure that it didnt drop below a point of idle, however that dont seem to work eather. i adjusted the end points and removed sub trims, but still same outcome.

I also changed the linkage to the carb a bit to see if it would help. I just added some ofna linkage holders, and moved the retrun spring to the furthest hole, so that it had alot of tension on the return spring, making sure that it would pull it all the way back to its set position. but still does it to me

the only thing that i can think of that may fix this, is to setup a differnt throttle setup, maybe a rod type linkage, or another cable type that will work better.. the other thing i noticed (altho i dont believe it to be the issue at hand) is the cable holder thats mounted to the thottle linkage on the carb, that little plastic holder on the back of the cable holder is way loose, no matter how hard you push it back on, it still ends up being loose at the end of a tank, it seems to me that it could come off..

anyone here tried different setups on the throttle? or maybe have another way for me to accomplish killing the boat from the TX....

Thanks in advance
Benjamin
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM
simonmiller

http://bonzisports.com/catalogue/pro...roducts_id=361

A clutch that does the job - at LONG LAST!!!!

Simon.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:07 PM
dmbspots

First time post here! I just bought the bj55 and as every one else did broke there clutch within two tanks of gas. So instead of buying a fancy adapter or a new bell I just made one. It works awsome> I will post some pics of the build and it in the boat once i get a chance. I built 4 clutch bells with different radius and holes and such not bad for free.

If you got any questions lemme kno.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.