Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Old 10-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Proboat 772

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Nice job on machining the clutch bell. I was toying with the idea of making a billet drum for my 1/8 Proboat Hydro. I could turn the drum ok, but couldn't come up with a good way to shave the corners square for the cable drive.

How did you accomplish this?

Since Proboat clutches have oversized holes in the mounting ears, I made a pilot tool to center the clutch drum to the engine crank. The large diameter is a snug fit through the (square) center of the hub. The small diameter is a snug fit in the hex socket of the crank bolt. Aside from the manufacture quality, I believe centering the drum to the crank can reduce some of the failures due to vibration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85083.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	778433  
Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
dmbspots

I Broached a .200 hole in the center of the shaft then had to file out the remainder .010 I used a 5 axis tuning center to make the part. since i had to only unclamp the part once to bore out the back side before i broached it. the part is round with in.0008 so that should help limit the vibration factor. I have went back and made a titanium pc witch seems to work awsome. the idea of a tool to center everything when installing sounds like a good idea. i think i will have to make one myself.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
korkka

Well Hello!

I´ve been lurking around for some time.

But, from now on, I´ll be posting up here.

My wife gave me my xmas present a little early, since she felt it would be more of use now before everything freezes up here in Finland...

And she knew how frustrated I would become in 24th of Dec with her present!

Well, my daughter looks surprized so you can guess how I felt!

Her face says it everything, I wish it was summer already!.

We hopefully have still few weeks left of the season! Before the ice!
Then it will be four months of waiting!

Anyway we took her, the boat, for a maiden run and everything went well and as it should.
No hick ups nothing broke. Yet.

Here`s the fleet for the day.

Left the SV home though...

I´ll keep posting if something turns up or upside down...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
theking549

NEED HELP

hey guys i just got a blackjack 55 a month ago, out the box i have been having lots of problem with the engine, it quits and runs unstable. i have tried to adjust the low and high needles but no luck. i'm using premium fuel and 3oz of zenoah oil as per the owners manual. I went to the hobby shop the guys there told me to use unleaded fuel and add 6oz of oil per gallon, so now i'm confused, i also just change the spark plug just incase when it gets hot it starts acting up strange, spark plug color brown.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You only need 87 octane gas as this is what the engines are designed to run. Yes, you didn't have enough oil in the mix.
If you're running a Champion spark plug. toss it away and replace it with an NGK.
Finally, a hobby shop employee that knows something about boats!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
theking549

thanks alot Ron

i was just trying to follow the owners manual rules but there wrong, owners manual suggest you use over 90 octane and from 3 to 4 oz of oil a gallon.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
theking549

hello,

hey i got a couple of questions i'm putting a ported cylinder head and a lighten piston and a 0.012 copper headgasket on my zenoah g260pum motor on my blackjack. i was thinking of also puting a flywheel key designed to increase overall ignition timing and horsepower on most Zenoah advance timing about 9 - 10 degrees, can i advance more timing in the g260, i know you can on most motors
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Ron Olson

There are some offset keyways that you can get to advance the timing.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
theking549

hello,

yeah i got the offset keyway but can i put it on a fully build engine, if i advance the timing would it be harder to start up?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounding like your having trouble with a stock setup motor. I would consider having fun with the motor in stock form and gain some familiarity with tuning it before you set out to modify it. Not all modifications will lead you to increased performance. The flywheel key is not a modification I would consider (or recommend) regardless of modificatiosn done. For one thing the stock keys are easy enough to shear - offset timing is even less strength. Shear your key and you will never get her started. A sheared key will also be one of the hardest "non starting" symptoms to diagnose and usually the last.

My advice. Run her stock - have some fun. Unless you know what you are doing you might very well damage your motor rather than improve the performance (like installing your lightened piston back to front). Also - many "modifiers" out there doing less than admirable work - particularly those who just offer parts and not RTR motors. If you just ship your motor to someone who knows their craft (M D, SS, Toxic, Butch, or one of several others) you will likely end up with a more potent motor that is done right and will likely be as easy to start as your stocker. Your will probably save some money and frustration in the process.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:49 PM
roushd1r

I lucked out with my BJ. Before I went out on the water, I went through Zac at American RC Boats, and bought the mid mod jug, lightened piston, .003 composite gasket, stainless screw and bolt set, and zero drag seals. When installing the seals, is when I noticed how loose the clutch screw was. That would have more than likely come loose on the first outing. I also installed the Redline Performance modded 257 carb, and Warehouse Hobbies aluminum velocity stack. I also have the Aeromarine rudders. Now I use it every weekend that I have free. When I go out fishing on my cousins boat, I jump the wake with it. It's a 70' Viking, so the waves are quite large. It's a little light in the front so we added some weight to bring the nose down during flight. It is awesome running side by side. Seeing it up on step, the sponsons tapping the water and the engine note! Awesome! I had to change the EXP quite a bit, so it wasn't so twitchy at speed. I have noticed no cracks in the gel coat yet, but I also reinforced the tunnel area fore to aft, and also the transom. They were very sparing with the epoxy to say the least. The glass was still thirsty around the hull joiner, and by the transom. I noticed two tiny imperfections in the gel coat, but no biggie. The only thing that truly annoyed me, was the air bubbles in the decals. Horizon said when they become available, they will send out a set. The throttle cable bracket (mounted to the primer bulb frame) seems to be made from lead. Flexes too much. Easy to remedy though. When the clutch goes, I will go with the Bonzi for sure, but so far so good.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: roushd1r
When I go out fishing on my cousins boat, I jump the wake with it. It's a 70' Viking, so the waves are quite large.
Be aware that that RC boat [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/assortedpicsothers.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=582]can do damage to other boats [/link]where you may be running. Combine that with zero insurance and you have some liability to consider

Certainly is the way to see and run an RC boat is while in a chase boat. I have yet to try it but from clips I have seen it is a great way to drive.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 AM
roushd1r

Always a possibility. It definitely has enough weight to do some damage! If we ever go out with another person, I will make he/she be the video operator. I tried to video while driving. It came out horrible![:'(] I just noticed the blockbuster in the rescue boat. Fishing?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 AM
sodarski73

Hello,

First time poster! I bought a used BlackJack off ebay and have been messing with it for about a month now. I am now having a HECK of a time tuning it and getting it to start consistently and run reliably. My first outing, it ran great. The previous owner had the wrong tube from the water-pump to the vacuum, so once I changed that around, it ran awesome. I then laid the boat up for a couple weeks, to put his tupper-ware/garage engineering to bed and purchased all the stock radio box components. This weekend, after 2 weeks of backordered parts, I rebuilt everything and set out to tune it and run it. I put all my carb settings, back to stock, thinking I could retune it based off of a baseline setting. Now, after rebuilding the pull-start twice and replacing the front two motor mounts, I know that I am doing something wrong and making this enjoyable hobby much too difficult. I have read the manual setting the throttle at 1/2 throttle with the choke, pulling until you get a pop, then turning the choke off and firing it up. All this works great, but then it dies. So, I yank about 10-15 more times, it finally fires, I try to mess with the carb settings, to get it to idle well, then I rev it up, let it sit for a minute at idle in the water and once I feel confident I push it off, for it to die about 200 feet offshore!

Does anyone have any good starting and tuning tips for me? I am at 6' below sea level... if that helps for the carb settings.

Also, am I the only person to experience the problems with the pull-start? My shoulder and back are complaining!

And my final question. I am looking for a non-onboard starter. Is there one out there? I have about 8" of room forward of the motor, that I could easily fit an electric starter in. Can I buy a starter for an airplane and replace the pull-start with a nose cone and start it that way?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am desperate! I am very close to putting this thing back on ebay and forgetting about it, unless one of you would be so kind to help me out here!

Thanks In Advance for Any Help!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Ron Olson

Sou can use a hand-held electric starter on the Zenoah's now but you'll lose the clutch in the process. Speedmaster ( www.rossisales.com ) has just released a combination starter pulley and flex cable collet. You'll need a good 24 volt starter from Sullivan plus 2 batteries to crank it over and a starting belt. More than likely you're going to need a longer flec cable to hook it all together.
If it's dying off, the settings are probably too lean on the carb. When the prop starts turning it puts a load on the engine leaning it out. The factory settings are only a rough guesstimate as they have no idea where the boat is going.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 AM
sodarski73

So the only handheld starter I could use would be off the prop, rather than the pull-start side of the motor?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Ron Olson

Not off the prop but it goes where the clutch would sit. There is another one out that goes in place of the pull-starter but at this time I can't remember who makes it. Putting it there you wouldn't have to lose the clutch.
It seems like the person goes by the screen name of IMPBA3548.

[Edited and added on]
I just did a search and found out that his name is Jim Shuttleworth that makes them but that's all of the info for now.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
sodarski73

I just looked that name up and he has only posted here 3 times... nothing pertaining to a starter setup.

Do pull-starts usually break? I keep snaping the line... seems like there as too much compression!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Ron Olson

I didn't look him up on this site but another where I remembered that he posted something about his starter pulley.
Breaking the starter rope as much as you have does sound like a problem. It could be the wrong rope.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Ron Olson

Solarski73, I was just browsing through the American RC Boats site and found this: http://www.americanrcboats.com/products/newitems.htm . Scroll down a little and the pulley is there.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
sodarski73

Thanks Ron! So, if I were to buy that, do I run a belt to the electric starter?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Ron Olson

Yes. Unlike the way that nitro boaters do it, the belt doesn't stay iwth the boat.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:53 PM
sodarski73

I ordered a starter pulley last night and have read up on how to put it on. I am just curious as to what starter would be able to turn a 260 Zenoah over. Any recomendations?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Ron Olson

I'd look at the Dynatron or the Model 4 here: http://www.sullivanproducts.com/StartersMainFrame.htm , preferably the latter one.
I've got both.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM
sodarski73

Thanks Ron! Hopefully, I will have her running this weekend!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.