Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New guy with a deep vee

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New guy with a deep vee

Old 02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Gunkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a deep vee

Hello everyone, I have been lurking in the gas boat forums for the past couple of months or so, gathering as much information as possible (and man is there alot!). Anyway, I have been involved in RC airplanes (nitro and electric), cars and trucks (nitro and electric) and a few electric boats for the past handful of years, I work at a prototype shop for Ford so fabricating and building have been a pleasure! I have been wanting to get into gas boating for awhile and finally have a project in the works, I am not sure of the original boat that the mold was made from (maybe someone has an idea from the pictures and dimensions), but the end result was a complete carbon fiber hull. My plan is to use the Ryobi motor to start with, hoping to upgrade maybe in a year to a zenoah, after I get some experience under my belt, at least this was my plan until I came across a thread from a few months ago where it was mentioned that the hull depth on a persons boat was not deep enough for a weedeater motor, and that the boat would be top heavy, is the 5" depth to shallow? Also, my plans are to carbon fiber in the stringers, pre mount the engine, radio box, and fuel tank, then carbon fiber in the hull top. I am sure I will have many more questions, but any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated! Pictures of the boat are here:

http://web.mac.com/gunkel04/iWeb/Site/Deep%20Vee.html

Thanks!

Greg

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77817.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	611473  
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Euan

Default RE: New guy with a deep vee

Greg,
your engine will work well in that hull,check out the wildthing thread and you will see similar boats,
good luck Euan.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Gunkel

Thanks Euan, I am going to check it out right now..
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
BILLIUM
My Feedback: (40)

Hi, Might i say WELCOME TO THE MONEY PIT !! LOL
The build sould be fun! have a blast with it . And keep us posted on your progress .
Later Bill
Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Gunkel

Thanks Bill, I know what you mean about money pits, it seems I just keep switching from one, to another to another and to another, (70'cuda-03' rock crawiling jeep-88' SVT t-bird-numerious RC projects, etc.) I guess that is what makes life interesting! Although my wife would disagree...

Greg
Old 02-01-2007, 04:58 PM
John Howell

It would seem like a bit of a waste to put a Ryobi in that hull. I'm not sure on your budget, but if you can stretch it fit in a Zenoah then you won't be disappointed.

I've spent more money trying to make cheaper gear go faster than it would have cost me to just go and buy the good stuff. [:@]
Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Gunkel

Thanks John for the reply, my reasoning on using the ryobi were mostly because I thought it would be a good trainer, along with already having it on hand. I figured that after a year of running it, I would have enough experience to handle a faster boat. Not that this is set in stone yet by any means..

Greg
Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM
John Howell

Grab a stock 231 or 260 Zenoah and that would be a great trainer. If you want to go faster down the track then you can get the engine modded.

Even my 10 year old son got sick of the boat I built with a weedwacker engine afer a couple of outings. It just wasn't fast enough.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Gunkel

Thanks John for the advice, I will do some searching and see how much I can find a stock zenoah for, including the clutch and exhaust...

Greg