Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Noise

Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

Hi All,

just curious to see how much aggravation you guys in the State's (And other places) get over noise. Got a pull a few weeks ago when using my little 60 nitro boat which has a good silencer on it, takes it below 80Dba. I also have a Miami with a Zenoah that currently has a BH Hanson tuned pipe, even with the stinger silencer it is quite loud, to me it sounds OK, but some folk have no sense of humour. Goodness only knows what the duck hugging little bloke who was whining would have made of that.

The ducks, by the way, do not seem to mind it too much, they just swim off pronto when the see my car pull up....Strange that.

Just wondering.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 02-16-2007, 12:00 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Noise

Many, many, many ponds have been lost due to noise. While people may enjoy the sound, most who are not in the hobby find nothing enjoyable about the constand buzz of our engines for hours at a time. We have to get serious about reducing noise in this country if we want to keep racing anywhere but the most remote locations.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
w3bby

Same rules as you Glenn We run in an industrial port area with a drag strip nearby so there aren't any close neighbours to complain. We have a few fishermen that use the water but they have no say as we have the right to use. We have swans, ducks and geese throughout the year, they just do not care. We have had to stop races before now (12 boats at full bore) because mummy duck decided it was a good time to relocate across the pond [:@]
[link=http://www.hitta.se/SearchCombi.aspx?SearchType=4&UCSB%3aWflWhite=1a1b&UCSB%3aWflPink=4a&UCSB%3aTextBoxWho=&UCSB%3aTextBoxWhere=Ut%f6gatan+malm%f6]Skånes Model Boat Society[/link]
If you zoom in you can see our bouys no one was out that day [&o]
Old 02-16-2007, 01:14 PM
jdoug

Well Chuck...even if we did run in remote locations, we are still going to get people moving close by then complaining even if they new full well what they were moving next to.

We are losing motocross tracks all over the country because of this.

It also seems that it only takes one voice of complaint to win.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Resident Dawg

It does seem that a Minotity rules these days[sm=thumbs_down.gif]. I know we are OK running where we run....there is a Sheriff station with in a stones throw of the lake. They drive past us EVERY day...and on one or two will stop just to watch. It is a like right off a main road in a shoppnig center.

There are places where I have been give dirty looks when I run my big boats, but donw here in SW FL the lakes are either unassessable( sorrounded by brush), in a gated community( WAY BAD IDEA TO RUN TEHRE, snooty people), or in a industrial place.....2 of the 3 are bad ideas, that other is FREE AND CLEAR
Old 02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
glennb2006

Cheers Ian,

managed the zoom in and out bit, always did struggle with Swedish!!

Would not have thought you will get too many moans there.

Glenn
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 AM
MrMikeG

Cooper makes great mufflers that will work on your pipe. The weld on one is the quietest.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:20 AM
glennb2006

Thanks Mike,

you are up late! I have a cunning plan to hand, I also have a pipe from Prestwich to try, I am rebuilding the boat just now and will give it a go.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM
BMAD01

Glen, The Hanson muffler is like having no muffler at all. It was my first muff. It's all polished up and in a bag in the closet now! LOL Try a T-Mod muffler on your hanson pipe. Much more better! Brian
Old 02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
glennb2006

Aye,

you are not wrong there, it is quite loud. [X(]

Glenn
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Believe It
Banned

there are lawnmowers, leaf blowers, generators, etc. running all the time that are louder then some boats and no complaints about them

Lucky for me, i live in the middle of nowhere and its pretty 'country' around here so nobody ever complains about noise. Most the time if any of the rich people who own the houses on the lake i run at come out and watch if they are there.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Believe It
Banned

btw curious what pipe and muffler are you using on the 60 nitro boat? I have a mac nitro pipe and prather muffler and it would probably never make it under 92db with my OPS 65.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM
glennb2006

Hi there believe it,

I am running a Prestwich tuned pipe on my .60Nitro. Kind of like the CS20 on this link but for .60's. Looks from the page that they don't have any 60 pipes in.

See link here:

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/tunedpipes.htm

Looks like you will have to copy and paste. Good pipes, water cooled and very quiet, even the CMB90's are quiet wearing these, and powerful once set up.

Glenn
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Believe It
Banned

cool...that cs23 pipe looks interesting. $193 [X(]
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
glennb2006

Yep, think that is the one Dave Marles runs on his motor, seemed to go very well at Peterborough last October and not that loud. Guess the prices just now are not great for you guys with the exchange rate and all, but if you are racing a Zenoah it is probably worth the money. You may get acused of having an unfair advantage though...

G
Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Believe It
Banned

dunno...id have to see one in action here before i spent that kind of money. I know theres a zen7 here in the states that didnt perform too well.

and yes, i run a zenoah. Fullmod 260.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:14 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Believe It

btw curious what pipe and muffler are you using on the 60 nitro boat? I have a mac nitro pipe and prather muffler and it would probably never make it under 92db with my OPS 65.
I've got Andy Brown parabolic pipes on two of my .45 boats and my Sprintcat that's got an OS .81 that also has a parabolic from Andy. No problem being under 92 db on any of them. My Roadrunner will get a CMB .81 with a Macs nitro pipe with an add-on muffler, not sure whose yet. These have also been shown to be below 92 db. For a while I ran a gas mono with a pipe from Mastons that also had no trouble being under 92 db.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Believe It
Banned

id probably try a cooper or a custom Mike T muffler. The prather definetely doesnt quieten mine down hardly any.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Euan

Glenn,
do you use the lake at Herrington ? i too have been a regular target for the tree huggers,so much so that i have sold off nearly all of my boats,its no fun getting into arguments with people it spoils the fun?
if you can find an alternative venue please get in touch.
Euan Galloway
Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
apache57stryker43

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cooper quit pipes are probaly the best way to go.

JT~
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 PM
stevblutu15

I run in two spots, the pond behind my house and salt water. Nothing they can do about salt water cause you should hear some of the speed boats out there. The pond behind my house- most of the neighbors are cool- but i run in moderation, and if any complain to the cops, ill call the cops the next time they start up their weedwacker or lawn mower. What goes around comes around.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:52 AM
glennb2006

Hi Euan,

the lake on the A183, yeah, Herrington. Only had one winge so far, normally go mid week when quiet. Have run at Tynemouth in the past but the lake is too small for anything fast.
The next thing I am thinking of doing is to run the Miami in the sea, might try to give this OMRA stuff a go. Only bogey being that most of it seems to take place on the South Coast.
Rather like Jdoug said earlier in the thread, if you are into anything slightly out of the ordinary these days you start to get hassle to prevent you having fun. I also ride bikes both on and off road and it is getting tough finding somewhere to run the off road ones these days. Thanks to Northumbria Police for inappropriate use of the Police Helicopter.......

Glenn