Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Another 48" woody build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Another 48" woody build

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
mmurray70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 48" woody build

I'm building a 48" woody and it seems like i have new questions about it every day. I figured I might as well create a thread about my build and update you guys as i go along and post any questions as they come up.

I modifed the plans a little. I raised the sides as some of the others have done, I rose the nose a little and rounded off the deck a bit too. I'm going to be powering it with a Ryobi 30cc engine (new style, actually a homelite 30) and I picked up a prather 280 prop for it.

I'm making some progress with it. I've got the bottom part of the hull pretty much done. Rails and bulkheads are all glassed in, pretty much ready to put the deck on. I'll post up some pics later tonight.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM
mmurray70

Default RE: Another 48" woody build

Question of the day is about the deck. I'm ready to put the deck on but dont have my engine yet. How wide and long an opening do I need in the deck? Would it be a better idea to wait and install everything else and put the deck on last?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 AM
VH-GMB

My boat is 49in, length wise, the opening is just short of the forward bulkhead . The sides of the deck are about 1.5in (40mm)

This is the only pic I have that might help.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mark nice to see your starting a thread on the build ,my opening is 230 mm wide x 580 mm long the deck at either side is 75 mm wide.I also used the weedy tank so i cut the bulkhead in front of the engine to let the tank fit in between the rails and slide in under the deck but the filler cap is visible in the engine bay so i can access it easy to fill it.Its held in place using zip ties and is sat on foam floatation tubes so no vibration and no movement either.It seems to work very well.the screen im sure you can come up with your own version .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92787.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	677022  
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
mmurray70

I'll try leaving 3" on the sides of the deck for now, I guess I can always trim it back after if I need too.

So do you guys think its safe to put the deck on now permenantly without having anything at all done with the engine and radio gear?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 PM
mmurray70

Also, without having to do a ton of calculations, is there a rule of thumb on how much pool noodle to use? Gas wont react with pool noodles right?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 PM
martno1fan

i see no reason why not so long as you think you have enough room to drill holes and or cut slots for mounting the engine?.you could make the deck in 3 parts also thats a front deck and two side pieces that way you can fix the front part on permanantly and just pin the two side pieces on knowing if need be you can remove them if needed.i used panel pins to pin the deck while the glue dried. as much as you can cram in the front section and i put two 2.5 diam pipe insulators down each side depending how wide your noodles are one might be enough.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 PM
patriktegelberg

I fear I have been to intense when questions begin to be phrased to avoid calculation answers. Where are you on the hardware issue?

I am thinking of maybe building something myself if the stars line up. Have been figuring something that wires like this maybe.

Name:	Ge95715.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	677101  
Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM
martno1fan

Hi Pat looks interesting are you going to keep the keel rounded? might be better making it a sharp v.The good thing about a v hull is they are simple to do ,im not one for numbers like yourself but im sure i can build a deep v that will perform well and will be doing so at some point.I changed almost the whole design of my current one and its given me a taste to try coming up with something myself.Thing is im lazy and if i see something i like such as the plans of this one ill build it as im not a drawer im a builder.All the changes i made were done by eye and trial an error i didnt do much in the way of drawings only in my head .
Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 PM
patriktegelberg

Yes Mart, the keel will be rounded. I like that Mart, you building your own design. Lots af people here are bulding woodys, It is very fun to follow but I think you should start a trend here, of building not only your own boat but designing your own design. That would really be something.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 PM
martno1fan

will youres be another poly glass hul pat or epoxy?,any chance of a build thread when you start her that would be cool.pat does this mean i have to learn how to draw [X(] lol.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
patriktegelberg

Material is not determined yet, probably poly glass, but I think I will try one in epoxy carbon just to have tried it. No you don't have to draw, build from the top of your head.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:36 PM
mmurray70

Here are some pics of my boat. Been at it for about a week now. Theres alot of work involved for sure. Cant wait to get this thing running. Still havent had a chance to put the deck on yet, probably get that done in the next few days. I did get some strips glued all the way around and in the center for the deck to glue onto. I'm going to have to make mine in two pieces due to the curves in mine, wont bend properly if only one piece. What do you guys think?

Name:	Tr49117.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	677299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47184.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	677300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92705.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	677301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd90056.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	677302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96904.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	677303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm82891.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	677304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xa54847.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	677305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk35840.jpg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	677306  

Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
dwr9

Looks good. I suspect you might be able to do the deck in one piece. You don't have too much curve in it. Doug
Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 AM
martno1fan

i agree with doug it will bend no problems as long as your using the same thickness as for the bottom or thinner?.just make sure you can get to drill and cut slots for your bolts to mount the engine!!.the slots make it easy to remove the engine for maintenence when needed.drill the holes where needed then cut a slot down to meet the hole then the engine will slide in and out on its mount when you want to take it out.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 AM
mmurray70

Maybe it looks different in the pics but the deck curves from front to back and I also put a radius from left to right. And if anybody has ever tried to bend a sheet of plywood in two differnt directions at once they know it obviously doesnt work out. I tried wrapping a piece around from left to right, no way to bring it down to the nose at all. I'll manage with the two pieces no problem, shouldnt be too much harder.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
VH-GMB

The front section of my deck, though it doesn't look like it, is curved left to right and front to back.
But looking at yours, you have much more curve L/R which would naturally make it harder.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 AM
martno1fan

it will bend no problem or should,if it is difficult soak the ply in the bath(warm water) for acpl of hrs then bend it to shape and clamp it leave it for a cpl hrs to cool and thats it a prebent deck.this is assuming the ply is marine ply so the water wont penetrate the glue etc?.what thickness ply have you used for the deck? if its too thick thats the problem right there.ive bent ply almost all manner of shapes this way and this is how they make chairs and suff out of it they normally use a steam box but the bath will do .once it cools it will hold its shape then let it dry out and once its totally dry glue it as normal.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 AM
dannyual777

Mine has plenty of compound curves in the deck and it went on in one piece. I used 1/16" thick Okoume plywood. How thick is your plywood that you're using for the deck?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
patriktegelberg

There is a limit to how much compound radius is doable. That limit is reached earlier with fewer bulkheads (deck buckles). To feel if it is possible for you bend it front to back first, then work down the sides from middle of bend, middle of remaining etc. My guess is you are going to have some problem with that.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 AM
mmurray70

I used 1/8th plywood for the deck that I had left over from the rest of the boat. I have the deck on now, it defenatly wasnt going on in one piece. I managed ok with it in two pieces although it was still a little trickier then I thought it would be. The edges of the deck are still overlapping a little now (didnt want to try trimming them until the glue was cured, but it seems like its a decent looking shape overall. I've got at least 1 and a half pool noodles in there. I bought two and aside from a few scrap parts that I cut on angles, I got it all in there. The foam made a good support for the bottom of my tank too (thanks for the idea mart!). That should be plenty floation right? I'll post up some pics once I get the edges trimmed. I'm back in school now though so the build may slow down a little.

So what do I do now? I should have the engine very soon. I guess I need the engine before mounting the stuffing tube right? I picked up a steel brake line to use as a stuffing tube, will this be ok? I plan on having a grease nipple on there too. Should I fiberglass the tube in permenantly or should I fiberglass in a sleeve that the tube fits into so it can be removed? Could you guys post up some pics of your stuffing tube setups?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
martno1fan

see that was your problem the wood was too thick i used thinner wood for my deck than 1/8, 3mm for hull 2 mm for deck.bends like a charm.that said i have used 1/8 before and it does bend if you use the method i said before but glad you managed to get it done.wait till you get your engine before you try putting the tube in as you need to get the bend just right so it meets up with the engine nicely.i would use a sleeve of larger diameter tube and glass that in 2" from the transom.at the other end i made a bracket from 1/2" ply i cut a groove in the top and made it so the tube lay in the groove then bent some ali plate to make a bracket and i drilled holes in the ply and inserted studs and epoxied them in then put the bracket on top and fastened it down using nyloc nuts.it works great.also in the transom make the hole a slot and try offsetting the hole to the right a cpl mm as this helps reduce prop walk so im told.wish id known that before i put mine in.the slotted hole allows for up and down adjustment and fill the hole using flexable sealer.

Name:	Ig12888.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	679445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15508.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	679446  
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
mmurray70

Ok so as long as its supported at two ends its fine? How big of a gap do I want between the end of the engine shaft and the tube?

And if i do make a sleeve for the tube to fit in, the tube would be from 2" in from the transom to maybe 4" to allow some flex right? Not directly from the transom up to 2" in? That sound about right?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
martno1fan

hi mark if you look at mine i did mine from the transome which i now regret as it makes adjustments a bit more difficult so id stay 2" clear of the transom to allow more movement ,as for gap between tube and engine id say no more than an inch that way theres less chance of the cable whipping .mines an inch from the square hole in the clutch you could maybe get away with a bit more .
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 AM
mmurray70

Thanks again Mart. So what about the back side of the transom? should I have the tube extending back a little or cut it flush? I'm guessing it should exit the transom parallel to the bottom right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.