Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

how to get the most power

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

how to get the most power

Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
--shawn--

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get the most power

im going to be using a weedeater gti 17" engine i think its 28cc on a buld , what easy cheep mods can do to it to get the most power from it?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how to get the most power

eaiest is to get a walbro carb for it ,id say go for the wa 167 one it works great on a weedy.dont get the wt 167 as its smaller.that would be my only mods on a weedy unless you know what your doing .you can polish exhaust ports etc and increass compression but im not a mechanic so i leave those jobs to the guys who know.im running a 28 cc weedy engine in my boat and speeds 35 mph with no mods other than the big carb im not even running a tuned pipe.go for a big prop on your weedy like the prather 280 or octura x482 .i have the p 280 and it runs great,weedys dont have the rpm to spin small props fast enough to get good speed,the smallest id try is a p 275.have a read through these mods they might help if you know engines.
[link]http://testfly.0catch.com/homelite/homelitemain.html[/link]
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I am not mistaken. The motor is a 1/2 crank, reed valved motor with a forward facing exhaust (like the old Mac motors).

There really is a limited amount you can do to it. Make too much speed/power and you will loose the rod. Hard to put any kind of tuned pipe on it as the port is forward facing.

If your determined to use it then just aim to get her running reliably. Run regular gas in her with 8oz of good oil/gallon. Run it a hint rich as air cooled motors will get hot in a boat and if you lean it to make power it wont last long.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 PM
hse32

git rid of the choke
Old 06-28-2007, 09:54 PM
skoda450

In addition to a larger carb, try stuffing the base with a 1/8" plate of aluminum on the inside of the back plate, lighten the flywheel by removing most of the fins then reballance AND adding water cooling to the head, using a thinner gasket between the cylinder and the base to increase compression. There are porting mods that can be done but unless you can do them yourself they are not worth the money. Check out the mods at http://testfly.0catch.com/main.html for referance. Good Luck!