Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hydro airfoil ????z

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hydro airfoil ????z

Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hydro airfoil ????z

thanks guyz for the inputs,one of the best things of the forums is the vast knowledge that is brought to light,along with the different approaches to solve a problem,or enhance a project,personnaly,I value and weigh all options presented,and may use one,all,or a combo of those to achieve the needed results...thanks again all and please keep'em coming....
Old 09-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Proboat 772

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mopartybob

Attached is a video link ( I hope ) of Miss Llumar on the maiden shakedown run after we finished the mods to the boat a month ago. http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/5SMRN78W5F0VYKC3

Did some tweaking on the turn fin alignment and strut shim since then . When we ran it at the Pond today the GPS indicated 46.1 MPH. I don't think this is too bad for a new stock engine still getting broken in. This boat does have a Hanson manifold an pipe though.

For your consideration, I used a feeler guage on the strut to give you a reference point. Our setting is .035" feeler guage under the forward edge of the strut with the hull setting on a table ( prop removed )

With the present setup ( front spoiler - rear wing ), the boat is just touching the water with the front sponsons and rear of back sub sponsons. Strut and top prop blade is out of the water. No video on the latest test run..
Old 09-22-2007, 07:43 PM
mopartybob

sweet, looks really stable,I'd love to see it runnin when you finally get her "dialed in", 46.1 is nuthin to sneeze at either....I'm in the squirreling process (parts gathering)of setting the engine 1/2" further up,relocating battery and Rx to fuel compartment,and waiting on front canard and spoiler to be made up,it'll slip over the oe one but will pivot at the spoiler end,and rocking on the front of the blade,allowing a 10degree +/- adj. also,rear strut fell within tolerances you mentioned,hopefully,I wont have to add too much weight to her....[:-]
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Proboat 772

Moving the engine 1/2" will move the CG by that amount. I experimented with relocating the battery but didn't notice much change in balance. Since the motor is the heaviest lump, it gives you the most bang for the effort.

When I moved the engine forward, it became necessary to remove the idle adjust screw and trim back the screw casting to allow the hatch to close. I'll attach a photo for you. Then you can use the throttle servo for idle setting or ( as I did ) put an idle arm off the rear shaft of the carb. You may want to relocate the coil to the front of the engine as this moves weight forward also.

You will find a replacing the 2 servos for rudder with 1 JR 650 high torque a useful weight reduction with better performance ( thanks BudDriver13). I also changed the stock JR throttle servo with a JR590 high torque.

I'd be interested in how your cannard mod turns out. I toyed with cutting a trim tab it the rear of cannard and hinging it like an elevator. But honestly, the spoiler works so good that I'm afraid to mess with it.

The boat was running 43+ MPH when that video was shot. I made a new strut shim up ( .125" ) that gave a small increase in thrust angle from what I had. This is the reference I mentioned regarding feeler guage .035".

So, right now I think I've hit the sweet spot on set up at 46.1 MPH and i'll leave well enough alone. The boat is just barely touching the water front and rear, and very stable( I like stable ).

At this point I believe any increase in performance will come from tweaking the engine, but thats for next season!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Proboat 772

Attached are photos of mod to carb removing idle screw portion but leaving wide open throttle stop. Also. a small relief was necessary for Mixture screw clearance.

PS - regarding weight - none was added to this boat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83974.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	767943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61075.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	767944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52833.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	767945  
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Proboat 772

We are going to move the engine forward in the Budweiser just as we did in the Llumar hull. The Bud was bought as a hull only and built up with our choice of hardware. One significant change was the addition of stringers and cross bulkheads as in the later ( Llumar, Elam etc. ) hulls. This added a little weight but made a big difference in the integrity of the hull, particularly on the top deck and at the stuffing tube. The engine is hung from the stringers now instead of on the bottom of the hull. Just thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth...

Name:	Db83790.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	772319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14768.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	772320  
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 PM
mopartybob

Thanks D,this was an option I was going to go with,still in the squirreling stage of gathering,....please keep me updated ...thanks bud
Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
BB Modss

Ehh... Bob..now i want a Miss Bud.....
Old 09-29-2007, 01:01 AM
mopartybob

LOL...I was gonna stick that .91 in this sucka,but figgered the ease of maintenance (gas) would be the way to go.......[:-]
Old 09-29-2007, 08:08 PM
BB Modss

hmm im going to test and tune the .91 in my avenger 44" cat, then im going to put it or a 260 in the mono and stick the .91 in a rigger thats 2 sizes to small for the motor
Old 09-29-2007, 08:53 PM
mopartybob

Tom,I like those idea's...,Just got back from the pond,the Bud ran much better,added 10oz. lead to the nose,and tweaked the wing about 10 degree's,was able to run flat out...WOT..without NO hint of stability issues or water-wheelies... LOL,ran a little wet,like about 4" on the front sponsons on the first run,leaned her out 1/16 turn,on the second run,ran faster and on the back 3",third run,leaned her another 1/16, and now she's just starting to rock n roll on the back 2"....,still NO hint of the nose wanting to rise,next weekend ,I'll start pulling weight outta the nose,engine still just a weeee bit rich,running a solid 35-40mph...and still has a little left in her...damn...wish i could get the vid to load....[:-]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
BB Modss

I think i have a prop that will turn that bud into a rocket ship, ill get that and some others mailed over Monday.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Proboat 772

Mopartybob

Glad to hear your boat is runniing better. Are you using a spoiler on the front cannard or are you trying something differerent?

I had best results with Voodoo / Propshop 7016 with the stock engine - What are you guys using??
Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 AM
mopartybob

hey D,the only tweak I did was angle the rear wing about 10 degrees -,and added the bit of xtra weight,I'm still havin my front (adj.)canard and spoiler made up,don't know yet about relocating engine??? My son commandeered the boat [:-] and loves it the way it runs now,but I would like to start pullin the weights off of it,the only prop I have for it now is I think p280,Tom of BBMODSS has a couple for me to try out,so before I start yankin weights,I'll see if i can get a little boost from that and fine tuning the engine before I go back and start trimming the hull (airfoils) again,I gathered ALOT of info from everyone,and the bottom line is keep it LIGHT.....
Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Proboat 772

I think you'll find the spoiler will allow you to remove the weight as it adds a lot of downforce at speed. Are you using the stock turn fin and rudder? If so, there is a lot of handling performance to be gained by upgrading these.

You can get the boat handling well without moving the engine. We just wanted to see how far we could push it, but were pleased with how the boat responded- particularly turning response.

We kind of look at this hull as the "Rocky" of hydroplanes (washed up has been & unloved ). We get a big kick out of seeing if we can get it to overcome all it"s shortcommings and handicaps!!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
mopartybob

Rocky...LOL,I knew that this would not be a "performance" type hydro to begin with,just wanted somethin that looked cool and have some measure of respectability on the water...LOL...all stock hardware so far,got some speedmaster stuff on order,as handling/stability to me right now is the priority issue,yes, this boat has got a bad rap,but everyone at the pond loves it's looks.... I'll make that spoiler a top priority afor next weekend....will keep y'all posted and thanks ......
Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 PM
mopartybob

removed 8oz.of weight from the nose and now she rides on the back 1" of either sponson,still doin more testing on the rake of the Horiz. stab.... still at about 15*degree's neg, will trim her down to about 10* neg. and see how she handles then,just barely begining to "float" on the water,but alot drier than before....water got too messy to continue test today,but adj.the rear wing made a HEELUVA DIFF. ....till next weekend....
Old 10-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Proboat 772

Bob,

Glad to hear things are going in the right direction. Our season is over here in Central NY. Last we went out was several weekls ago. The boat scooped up so many leaves on the fin and rudder that that it became impossible to run.

So, now we will see how much mischief we can get into over the Winter. For starters - "What is Florescent Orange and should go like stink"?? Answer - Miss Elam with a Quickdraw 25HT stuffed in it!!

We slid the motor forward 1/2" on this hull, which moves the CG 5/8" forward. Also, looking to add side cheek pods to cover exhaust manifold and get rid of the ear muff on the carburetor side. We made a plug for the exhaust side, now have to duplicate ot for the carb side.

What do ya think??

PS: The clutch is a new two bearing design instead of the problematic origional

Name:	Ay73915.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	782739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40439.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	782740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14889.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	782741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11138.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	782742  
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
mopartybob

thanks D, I like dat !! ,that should certainly push the "mischief" level up a notch...my son is somewhat satisfied with the stability and ride attitude...LOL...of the Miss Bud, but now wants more speed,looks like I'm gonna have to give it to him now that things are comin together...[:-]
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
mopartybob

I managed to upload a short vid. (not so good [&o]), and although my 11yro sons driving is not inspiring,he is slowly gaining his confidence in runnin his hydro,I'll tell you though, he can sure beat up a vee-hull... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0qGmfDdD0
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 PM
BudDriver13

mopartybob. . . . . . one of the best things that helped me with more stable and effecient speed outside of moving the CG and turn fin/rudder was the redesign of the stock strut. Take a look at the pics attached to see the new cross-drilled strut bearing and heat treated brass tube that runs from the strut straight to the engine. My prop, drive shaft and flex cable act as one single unit and attach straight to my engine and spin freely instead of having a flex cable rub against the strut with the ferrel which attaches to the stock drive shaft and then your prop. I noticed a nice pick-up in speed just from this because of the reduced friction and rubbing on the strut, especially with my modded motor.

Details from my original thread and just an fyi here which I know you've commented on:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4900779/tm.htm

Name:	Ki18350.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	785653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60494.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	785654  
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
mopartybob

Thanks BudDriver13,This boat already has your set-up,I found out that the throttle was only giving 1/2 (),due to a bad set-up,and has since been corrected,that vid was from the first run with the tweaked wing and 20oz. of weight added to the nose,I have since removed 8oz,and the ride has really improved,due to the effectiveness of this wing tweak,it seems i can remove another 5oz.,what is the length of your rudder?I've been to the rossi site and there's a smorgy of blades there.thanks for the input,will keep yuz all posted
Old 10-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Proboat 772

Mopartybob,

I've had all kinds of problems with the stock cable setup. I'm working on a simple mechanical bellcrank - pull rod system right now. If you are interested, Ill attach details if it works out as I hope.

Dick
Old 10-20-2007, 09:50 AM
mopartybob

Thanks D,yes,please attach,I currently have a bellcrank system,but it seems that i still can only get 1/2 throttle out of the servo throw [:'(],I've dorked with the expo on the Tx,and I get full throw on my other boats.....I'll change servo arms and see if that helps.....[:-]
Old 10-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Proboat 772

Here are photos of my set up. It would apply to any later Proboat Hydros with the side hung engine. By dumb luck, it worked perfectly at the first try. All the components including water pump and switch clear. As I say, just dumb luck.

You could use this I believe, but the standoff pivot would have to be provided for differently. WE are using a custom combination throttle arm and idle stop due to removal of the stock screw and bracket.

I can draw up the specs, locations and dimentions if you or any of our other Proboat Hydro guys want it..

Name:	Zx71454.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	786679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84201.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	786680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65883.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	786681  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.