Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

My Panther

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 PM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Panther

Hi All,

a couple of people have, for some reason, asked for a few shots of my boat, so, here are a few shots of my boat! I will post a thread soon on the whole sorry rebuilding of my Miami off shore boat if anyone is interested.

Enjoy.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 03:48 AM
patriktegelberg

Default RE: My Panther

Nice, did you paint it yourself?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 AM
w3bby

Thought that was my hand at first
Nice Glenn, solved the left turn problem yet?
I would get rid of the water inlet hanging off the transom and put a flush inlet on the bottom, less drag....
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 AM
glennb2006

Not yet Ian. Trim tabs off, got some tips off someone in Goldborne who knows a thing or two about such matters, strut and rudder adjustments to make to help.

Hi Patrik, painted when I got it.

So, there you go. Might one day get a photo of it running, or some video. Watch this space.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 05:39 AM
w3bby

Mr Marles, I presume, well if he can't help you, you're stuffed..... I have the same problem getting pics of the Sigma on the water, normally by myself or no one has a camera
Good to see the file I sent Dave for the windscreen works
Old 10-17-2007, 06:04 AM
glennb2006

Sure was. Very helpful as always. I think there is a lot to come from this one yet, time will tell.

Keeping it the right way up would be a good starting point.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think keeping it the right way up is a problem for that hull,wayne off here had one now sold and it spent more time upside down than the right way up.mind you dave seemed to manage with it so maybe he has a secret or two hes not telling yaa?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
glennb2006

Not at all Martin, in my case purely bad driving and being way over optimistic, barrell rolls every time caused by turning too tight too fast.

Otherwise flying straight and level so far when it does fly off waves.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: w3bby

Thought that was my hand at first
Nice Glenn, solved the left turn problem yet?
I would get rid of the water inlet hanging off the transom and put a flush inlet on the bottom, less drag....
Just for You Ian.

Well, in the quest for speed really, here are some photo's of the flush inlet fitting. Took 30 minutes, apart from three hours for the epoxy resin to go off, but that doesn't count...

Starting off with bent tube through elongated hole through hull...

Then cut off at angle with Dremel or similar...

Finished off with fine Dremel grinding wheel and then deburred. Care needed not to damage paint...

That's it. Saturday will tell me if the trim tab removal, the flush water inlet and the strut adjustments have made a difference.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM
patriktegelberg

Fast inlet!
What are you trying in your quest to do left powerturns?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM
glennb2006

Well, I had major options Patrik, they are:

Dual rudders, or to relocate the rudder to the centreline of the boat.

For me option 1 is not good, I do not want the drag, and for similar reasons I am not keen on option 2, I want as much performance as I can from this, and I feel that sticking a rudder in the prop wash will not be great for performance.

I have tried some set up modifications that Dave Marles suggested, so I will test on Saturday and see if they have an effect, which they might well do if the boat is not naturally trying to go to the right so much.

Sorry, I kind of typed that upside down in my order of how I am going to do the testing. (My actions list)

I will let you know what happens with the result. The adjustments, for info., were to the strut, and also a rudder adjustment has been suggested, which I will try at the lake.

Glenn
Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
patriktegelberg

I am itching a little to dig into the problem but I will restrain myself. Your setup looks sound enough.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
glennb2006

Feel free Patrik, you have my mail address.

I have some ideas to try at the weekend coming that Dave has suggested I try and I am confident that improvement will come. I must stress too, the previous owner has done a good job on puttting this together, it does handle well, on right turns, and if the throttle is backed off then it will go left, so it is not an enormous problem as is, I just want more speed and improvements.

But then, don't we all?

Glenn
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 AM
w3bby

Like the inlet Glenn
ORIGINAL: glennb2006
....if the boat is not naturally trying to go to the right so much.
You left this part out of our chat, how much left trim did you need to get it to run straight?
Come on Glenn, out with it...what else have you changed and what are you going to change?
I guess you have moved the strut to the starboard side about 5/6mm (if it wasn't already) or angled it a few degrees to port.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 AM
glennb2006

Well, I did not intentionally leave it out Ian, I kind of forgot. To be honest, not huge amounts of trim is the answer to that, around 1/4.

Yes, I have relocated the drive strut to the right by a few recommended millimetres. I have some rudder adjustments to try as well if they are required.

I'll let you know if they are needed and if they work. Not that I suspect that for any reason they will not of course.

Glenn
Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 AM
martno1fan

Wheres the video ? cumon mate lets see her running.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
glennb2006

It's not easy to start the motor, launch the boat and do video at the same time, plus this one needs two hands and concentration Mart....

Also, I do not have a scooby about how to upload video onto the internet.

Glenn
Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
martno1fan

What you need is a friend Glenn come on you must have one ? ,i can help with loading videos so long as you have a digital vid cam ?.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

What you need is a friend Glenn come on you must have one ? ,i can help with loading videos so long as you have a digital vid cam ?.
Yeah,

got a few cheers!! "Only one who comes to the lake is generally running around with my other boat."

Not anymore, he has bought himself a Panther. So we now have some competition to look forward to!! This is going to get messy I can just tell.

Glenn.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
martno1fan

Allways glad to help a mate lol was just having a bit of fun hehe,i know yer names not billy no mates .Serriously id like to see the panther go from what ive heard they are a handfull.If you need any help with the video let me know ill try and give you some help ,once its on the computer its a doddle i use windows moviemaker to edit the videos and add titles then upload them to utube its simple really.Quallity suffers a lot when you upload to utube or wherever but its not too bad.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 PM
glennb2006

Ah, is that how it's done? I'm sure I can get it worked out, just got to find the video recorder. I might try to get some video. Not that exciting watching someones boat going round and round, unless there is a bit of sport going on!! (IE racing).

As to being a handful, not really so far, just requires the usual care and fairly smooth control inputs. And watch what's in front of it at all times!!

Glenn
Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

As to being a handful, not really so far, just requires the usual care and fairly smooth control inputs. And watch what's in front of it at all times!!

Glenn
AHH THATS WHERE IM GOING WRONG
Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 PM
glennb2006

Hmm, I should have heeded my own words from post above. Today was a bad day for the Panther, [&o], lost a drive shaft (and of course, prop and all the other good bits), not actually sure if I hit something in the water or if it just fell out.

The collet was still tight when I got it back.

Boat was just getting it's first open throttle run with no trim tabs and the streamlined water pck up when this happened.

Of course, no shaft = drifting boat with 1/4" hole in it. Rapidly filled up with water again, and again, the radio box leaked.

So an overall expensive day I think, £60 odd quid worth of prop and shaft etc + £40 of high torque servo.

I'm gonna start flying planes instead if this keeps up!!

Glenn
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 AM
w3bby

Tough luck Glenn [] been there, done that. I then bought some 1/4" wheel collars and put one on the flex just in front of the stuffing tube. If the collet lets go at least the prop stays with the boat... Have heard of others using normal zipties as well.
Radio box wet!! Find out where it is leaking (without the radio in) before you go out next time. I normally stuff a tampon or a panty liner in there to absorb any small leaks, if you don't have access to those (no wife/girlfriend or enough bottle to buy your own[X(]) then loo roll will do
Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 AM
glennb2006

Thanks Ian,

yes, the benefit of hindsight. ~I have since ordered a split collar to bolt onto the cable to stop it slipping back next time. Lesson learned. The mystery radio box leak, two hours under 2' of water in the bath and nothing, no leaks, then, 3" water in the lake and the thing has 1/2" water in the bottom of it, which as my steering servo is on it's side and low down, gets it first.

And another strange thing, how conductive the fresh water at the lake I run is, guess there must be lots of impurity in there.

Thinking of taking it off the water for a while and refitting the radio gear, and building a water tight compartment witha screw down lid, ala FSRV stylie.

Then put the radio box in there!!

Glenn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.