Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New Aquacraft gasser?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New Aquacraft gasser?

Old 10-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New Aquacraft gasser?

I saw on John's (JWN) article here on the site from the iHobby show that Aquacraft is going to have another gas boat, a Rico mono. John's pix aren't that good, kind of on the dark side but enough to give a few clues as to what it looks like. 28cc Fuji, no clutch, surface drive and an onboard cable oiler.
It's a new one to me also as this time the Aquacraft Skunkworks didn't let me know anything ahead of time. It seems to be a big improvement over the V-24.
OK Mike or Russ, let us in on what's going on!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: New Aquacraft gasser?

I like how they list "No more problematic clutch or water pump" as plusses rather than just supplying one of a dozen proven designs for this entry level customer base (who would surely benifit from a clutch from a saftey and comfort standpoint).

Like the new style of it though. Still has a "made in china" look under the cowl though. Why Oh why did they give another Fuji a try. Hope the 28 has less problems than the old Fuji 24.

I would consider giving one a test run though

[edit - added pics for those interested]

Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Believe It
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you seeing this
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6514312/tm.htm
You have to scroll down a ways to get past the other stuff.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
BB Modss

I don't see any part i really like about the boat, I know I sound harsh but really... Fuji again?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Grimracer

BB.. that does not sound too…. harsh.. that is harsh.. lol

O well.. To each his own man… ROCK ON…BTY still working and Hobby Town? If so say hi to the gang for me there..

Because Ron asked let me let you guys in on the boat.. BTY RON.. we can not let you in on all the stuff going on around here.. can we?

It’s a brand new hull design for us. Heaver glass lay-up then our old V-24. Its 51†long and weighs in at around 13lbs RTR. It comes with a typical race style stinger surface drive setup (JUST LIKE THE STUFF WE RACE), very dependable. 1/4†flex shaft with a 1/4†stub shaft. We supply the boat with a 65mm X 100mm pitch prop from our Grimracer Prop line.

The engine is a BRAND NEW design that is not like the older 24 in any way, The new engine is coupled to a Stainless Steel header and STEEL quiet pipe. The pipe sets the sound at around 80 to 85db. Good news for us that the header bolt pattern is the same as the Zen… The new 28 makes great power and is VERY dependable. Starts are easy too…

The boat handles great. No hooking and no unlocking in the corners.

Have to see if we can get some Vid on the web site for ya..

ROCK ON

Grim
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
webdr

LOL, I was going to start a thread about the RIO 51 but I thought Operation Fuji Force would bash it to hell, looks like I was right!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Grim - any indication on price?

Are you offering substantial discounts to RCU members
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Just out of curiosity what so inconvenient about clutch on gasser? This can't be marketed to beginners. I'm a beginner and when I buy my first gas boat I want a clutch in it. I think companies like Warehouse hobbies have the winning formula.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM
BB Modss

Grim Im sorry, its the fuji that throws me off, the boat looks fine, Id have to see how the new motor runs, but all in all i might have to give one a try, got a review sample you could loan me? Were taking my 72" PI cat out soon along with the 70" MH$ hunter and our newest boat, a inline full mod zen powerd bonzi 64 with twin surface drives off of the V24 boat, and a MH$ gearbox I had to go back to my city job about 4 months ago but im in the shop all the time, ill stop by tomorrow and tell chuck you said hi.

about my prev statement, i was under the assumption that the rudder was black plastic, iv since learned its aluminum, Thus making the boat suitable for a zenoah.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Grimracer

BB.. no skin dude.. Its all good.. the boat handles GREAT.. the motor is very good.. I have done LOTS of side by side with the zen and its up there.. Its nice as well that the boat is quiet..

All the hardware is either aluminum or stainless. I just really like the looks of black hardware and so we went that route.. It looks very classy.

What we wanted when we set out to design this boat was a VERY dependable good looking super boat. It is all that.. Easy to work on and adjust too.. it listens to your adjustments quite well.

I have some video here and will get that posted as soon as I get permission..

As a boat racer for the last 20 years and liking to keep things simple.. we elected to not use a clutch.. Its one last thing to break and all in all less weight.. (no pump too)..

ROCK ON

Grim

O yea.. the pictures posted on this thread are not all that hot.. the lighting is off or something.. Ron. . ya should have been at the show doing the pics and vid dude... that will learn ya for missing the show.. Better not miss the next one.. might be someting to see at the next one too.. NEVER KNOW MAN
Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM
BB Modss

So is that a yes? I get to play with a review sample? lol
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
webdr

hey Grim,
Ill be doing the official RCU review of the Rio when its out. I Look forward to it!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
cmiller73

Permission granted! Does that count? Probably not right?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been waiting for Aquacraft to make a decient gasser (sorry but the V24 does not count).
When I saw this I was excited but my first thought was 'why on earth did they use a fuji and not a zen?' I think this is going to be a very common thought and your going to have a hard time convincing people that the fuji is as good as a zen.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Grimracer

Grant ed.. you have a good point.. here is the issue..

The owners of Zen have sold the company. to be truthful we are not all that sure about the future of the zen.. we feel with a little more work we have a good start with Fuji. The 28 is a HUGE improvement over the 24 and we want to work with a company that will be here with us for a long time.

The aircraft engines are making good ground.. or would that be air.. Never the less..

Yea got to believe me when I say.. Aquacraft will not stop working at bringing the best RC boats to the people that enjoy this aspect of the hobby.. we are working very hard at this.. its my passion. Its what I love to do..

Me more then most understand that RC boating is a tuners game.. Speed is king and everybody wants to go fast and at a good price.. Me too.. maybe you do and maybe you dont.. not sure.. but if you know anything about product development every aspect is a trade off.. just like heat racing you have trade offs.. one race you have to setup for a short course and the next a full course.. then the wind is blowing.. you dont want to risk you best prop for these race conditions so you go for your number 2 prop.. You dealt your cards and now its time to show them... some times you win and some times you fold.. BUT.. what you do get is a clear vision of what you would do different and what you would change the next time... the Rio 51 is that boat... Honestly.. for the price and performance of an RTR… it’s a full house….

Hope you understand..

ROCK ON from your friends at AquaCraft

Thanks for your comments..

Grimracer
Old 10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grim, I for one am grateful for what you guys at Aquacraft have done. That is bringing quality, performing boats at a good price to the masses. I have 4 boats and 3 of them (Hammer, TS2, SV27) are Aquacraft. If it were not for Aquacraft I probably would not be into boats at all.

With regards to the Rio. I can only suggest that you guys make sure the fuji is perfect. Your already starting on the back foot with regards to perception of the fuji and if it dissapoints on release it will be just about impossible to "sell" fuji's in any future boat you make.

I wish you the best of luck with the Fuji because i am itching to see what is next on the Aquacraft drawing board.

P.S. Any chance of some more info or a video?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Grimracer

ORIGINAL: cmiller73

Permission granted! Does that count? Probably not right?
That works.. cmiller... I have a vid uploaded to RCU Vids but dont know how to link to it... Help

grimracer
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 AM
webdr

here ya go!
Man, she's faster than I thought. I cant wait to review this boat!!!!!

http://rcuvideos.com/item/NHWQFPVVQ7R8B99B

I also lightened the pic of the running gear so we can see whats out back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87978.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	789490  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Ron Olson

I see something that others don't yet, a line of Grimmie's props for gas boats!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
BB Modss

Id like to see a wider selection of Grim props myself! If Grim says the new Fuji is worth a shot then ill pre order a boat today from the LHS, one question, is there enough left in the jug to mod the motor?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Zac Price

Correct me if I am wrong Grim but isn't it an exclusive kind of a deal?

Horizon Hobby = Zenoah
Like Great planes = Futaba
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Grimracer

Zac..

yea for the most part.. Fuji is the brand we are involved with.. its a long story.. its more of a "over a beer story" then a post here at RCU...

BB... Like most of what we do here I can not fill you in on all the details, but we are making good gains on a better understanding of the motor.. That is realy all I can say..

Thanks for the posts

Grimracer
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
cmiller73

Not bad for a $700 RTR. I see a future in the racing scene for these hulls.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Zac Price

I think it is great to see new RTRs under the $1k mark and I for one would love to hold a stock RTR class (approved models only).

From the pics, the hull design seems to be much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.