Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

strakes on bottom of deep v

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

strakes on bottom of deep v

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
rcm243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strakes on bottom of deep v

I`m currently building a wood kit easy v , my understanding is that the boat won`t turn well without strakes on the bottom, would a fin located about mid way of the hull have the same effect?
I know for sure that fin on the real thing works very well, I`ve owned 3. but will it work on a model? has anyone ever tried this?
RCM243
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: strakes on bottom of deep v

It will turn just fine but use a turn fin on the transom. I've got a few strakeless mono's and they will turn with no trouble.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 AM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

For a 45" mono boat, as Insane mono instruction says: when mountin the turn fin, the turn fin should be 90 degree to the bottom of the boat and as far out to the right as possible, for best results, the turn fin should be 1-3/4" to 2" below the hull.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 AM
fuelman8

Ron

Is there any advantage to having both the turn fin and strakes on the Easy Vee?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strakes are there to create lift not to help turn,a turn fin will help when turning and if you want to turn well both ways put one each side of the transom . heres a few pics so you can see where to place them.A vee doesnt need a fin under the hull those are used on crackerbox type hulls that have a flatter or even flat bottom towards the rear and have a tendancy to slide.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62236.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	834886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23943.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	834887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13378.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	834888  
Old 12-27-2007, 05:33 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: fuelman8

Ron

Is there any advantage to having both the turn fin and strakes on the Easy Vee?
You dont need strakes if anything this boat is flighty enough,if you look at the pics of it on Joes site you will see he has a turn fin and two trim tabs,i think the tabs were because the boat creates a lot of lift and has no strakes at all.The tabs were used to keep the boat more stable and it seems to have worked well,check out the two videos of the boat running the vid before tabs were used the boat was a real handfull but very fast.When tabs were used it became more stable and easier to drive although a tad slower but looking at those vids id say its a winner.You chose a great boat to build,if its for sports use id use two turn fins that way you can turn well in both directions .If you need any help setting it up id suggest asking Joe he is a top fella and very helpful.Just so theres no confusion as to what strakes are as there seems to be some confusion here ,heres a pic of my woody vees bottom with strakes added(not easy vee) these create lift i added them as i was using a weedy motor so felt i needed extra lift.

[link]http://www.zippkits.com/[/link]

Name:	Mk27592.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	834889  
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM
fuelman8

Thanks Mart

I was thinking of leaving the strakes off and having twin trim tabs and a right turn fin. I see your boat has spray rails, got any opinions as to putting them on an Easy Vee?

Tony
Old 12-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Joe Petro

Leave the strakes on.
We tested with and without, It needs the strakes to turn without tripping on the keel.

Joe Petro

Name:	Zx70821.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	835022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61960.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	835023  
Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM
BMAD01

Guys, Do like Joe says, he otta know - it's his baby! Just put em on and run it! They're not a big issue to put on either. Like I told Tony. I marked the rear starting point with a pencil, then used about 4 pieces of paper 1" wide, and 5" long, folded in half exactly. Lay the fold over the keel and CA the strakes down lining the strake up to the paper as you work forewards. Carefully blend the front of the strakes to the hull with your planer, and sanding block when the glue is dry.
CAKE! Brian
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
fuelman8

Thanks Joe, You're the man and I'll finish it just like the book says. Everything else has gone like clockwork!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Leave the strakes on.
We tested with and without, It needs the strakes to turn without tripping on the keel.

Joe Petro
There you have it mate ,Joe i seem to remember way back you saying the hull didnt have strakes ?i take it these are something you added later on or am i mistaken ?.Not having seen your instructions i took it the kit still came without strakes sorry.I took it that these guys wanted to add strakes not leave them off and disregard the instructions lol.In answer to fuelmans question about spray rails i find them beneficial as were chine rails both helped spray water away from the hull ,but my chine rails stop 1/3 from the bows as i felt they might cause digging in in the turn.That said plenty built the boat without the spray rails i added to my woody but i liked the idea so chose to add them.Mine isnt a zipkits easy vee its designed by doug off this forum.He doesnt have strakes on his but i added them and find they work well for me.Brian gave you good advice if Joe says to use strakes and the instructions say to use them then just do it lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Joe Petro

We actually introduced the VBox without strakes.
When we added them, the improvement was unreal.

When we released the Easy Vee, it had already been tested with strakes.
Lots of locations were tried, but they seemed best under the engine rails (okay, John Finch was correct).

We did lots of strake testing, and learned a lot!

Joe Petro
Old 12-28-2007, 05:58 AM
martno1fan

Lots of locations were tried, but they seemed best under the engine rails (okay, John Finch was correct).

Joe Petro
Thanks for that mate,as regards strakes i think i said they are there to create lift and not for turning a boat which i would like to say is partly wrong they do stop the boat sliding in a turn so i suppose that is helping the turn but mainly they are there to create lift .I agree John Finch is right ive just been reading his book advanced r/c boat modeling (late xmas present) and it makes great reading.I would highly recomend anyone getting into boating buy this book as you will learn a lot about setting up your boat .Does the easy vee have spray rails at the chine I have to admit i like spray rails on my vees it stops water running up the sides which causes drag,when the water is sprayed away from the sides you have much less drag.The one at the deck join sheerline also helps keep things dry in tight turns.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
patriktegelberg

I posted in another strakes-tread that I believe that strakes are not for turning but for adding lift and reducing wet surface. However the action of adding lift and reducing wet surface can alter a boats attitude and balance and therefore also change its turning abilities (and other abilities). I still believe that slamming strakes on a boat does not necessarily improve turning, but doing as Joe have, testing several strakes setups can most certainly give big gains on some hulls and apparantly his hull did so.

Joe, What do you mean by tripping on the keel?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Joe Petro

We found that the Easy Vee tends to slide too much without strakes.
In rough water, this sliding allowed the keel to dig in, and roll the boat to the outside of the turn.

Keep in mind that the Easy Vee does not use spray rails. These also serve as a non trip chine on most hulls.

We don't think the Easy Vee needs spray rails, and it makes assembly more involved.

Joe Petro

Name:	Ig12834.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	838760  
Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 PM
cwaterhunter

Joe Petro
hi joe i added them to my v box after we talked about it in the spring... and i must say it handles wll,.,, i installed as per you insterictons,,,,also i added some stuff on the stern,, she has a zen 260 pum stoct for now then add a few power mods,,,

Name:	Cz80169.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	838907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	838908  
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 AM
martno1fan

Joe you probably know this but for any new guys who dont raising the centre of gravity in a deep vee will also help turns that is dont have too much weight low down (centre of gravity).For straight speed as low as possible is the best way but it isnt the best way for turning or racing.This is just so others who may not know this can learn not aimed at you .If the weight is low down as the boat leans in a turn the centre of gravity is moved far over to the left of the centre of bouyancy in a right turn ,if the weight is midway up or at the chine if you look at the transom as the boat leans the centre of gravity moves less and stays nearer the centreline of the boat which makes turns smoother.If you draw a line from keel to deck verticaly and mark at what height you think the centre of gravity is at you can see what i mean if you lean the boat over then get a straight edge and have it vertical on the table and hold it in line with the centre of gravity you will see how far over from that centre line at the deck it is ,the higher up the centre of gravity is the less it moves .If the centre of gravity is at 1" above the keel then it will move quite a lot ,if the centre gravity is higher say at chine height it moves far less,i hope i made sense lol .Too high is also not good for obvious reasons all this is according to books i have read and learnt from people ive talked to who race.Not sure wether you call the easy vee a deep vee or a shallow vee?.they say a picture paints a thousand words lol so here it is .or should i say they are.

Name:	Ay75902.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	839208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93016.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	839209  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:06 AM
Johnwan1962

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monohull theory

Originally Posted by martno1fan
Joe you probably know this but for any new guys who dont raising the centre of gravity in a deep vee will also help turns that is dont have too much weight low down (centre of gravity).For straight speed as low as possible is the best way but it isnt the best way for turning or racing.This is just so others who may not know this can learn not aimed at you .If the weight is low down as the boat leans in a turn the centre of gravity is moved far over to the left of the centre of bouyancy in a right turn ,if the weight is midway up or at the chine if you look at the transom as the boat leans the centre of gravity moves less and stays nearer the centreline of the boat which makes turns smoother.If you draw a line from keel to deck verticaly and mark at what height you think the centre of gravity is at you can see what i mean if you lean the boat over then get a straight edge and have it vertical on the table and hold it in line with the centre of gravity you will see how far over from that centre line at the deck it is ,the higher up the centre of gravity is the less it moves .If the centre of gravity is at 1" above the keel then it will move quite a lot ,if the centre gravity is higher say at chine height it moves far less,i hope i made sense lol .Too high is also not good for obvious reasons all this is according to books i have read and learnt from people ive talked to who race.Not sure wether you call the easy vee a deep vee or a shallow vee?.they say a picture paints a thousand words lol so here it is .or should i say they are.
I am newby building deep vee mono hull, gas weedy, and would like to know where to find the monohull theory
that you offer 25 years ago.
thank you

john Wanhainen
Old 12-18-2021, 02:00 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnwan1962
I am newby building deep vee mono hull, gas weedy, and would like to know where to find the monohull theory
that you offer 25 years ago.
thank you

john Wanhainen
Hi John,

Mart is not often on here lately but you can certainly reach him via his FB Page where he is also admin - https://www.facebook.com/groups/347874658563715