Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Best Radio Box?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Best Radio Box?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM
CaptJohnT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Radio Box?

Just want to hear opinions on the best radio box for my deep v. I will only need one throttle servey but I am not sure on the rudder servey. I will be running twin MH$ S6 drives. Any advice would help... Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
CaptJohnT

Default RE: Best Radio Box?

I promise insted of servey I ment servo....
Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 PM
jmbraychy

walmart in the camping section if you have the room its watertight and no taping. unless you are running a pipe out the back over the box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58316.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	858143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56832.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	858144  
Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Dan 2000

Capt.John.
I also have in the past used outdrives furnished by MHZ USA. I would recommend using at least a 1/4 scale servo.Turning both at the same time can be tricky setup.You could always use two servo's and used a Y connector to rudder output of your receiver,I use a MHZ Onboard Starter to start my QD-25 with no problems.It takes two 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volts.At 2000 mah each.One set i use to play all day .And when i need to start engine i can from shore from my Transmitter.I always Race even thou i am more of a Sport Racer than always racing all the time.My Radio is a Futaba 3PK with 2.4 hz.Take Care, Dan
Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
WATER_BUGG

I prefer the "SEAL TITE BOX" that Marine Specialties offers.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
weil0127

Here you go guys there is a guy that makes some sweet radio boxes in our namba district (20). Here is his wed site http://www.jrsinnovations.com/. He has some cool stuff that he makes right in this garage!!!!!! Check it out.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
CaptJohnT

ORIGINAL: Dan 2000

Capt.John.
I also have in the past used outdrives furnished by MHZ USA. I would recommend using at least a 1/4 scale servo.Turning both at the same time can be tricky setup.You could always use two servo's and used a Y connector to rudder output of your receiver,I use a MHZ Onboard Starter to start my QD-25 with no problems.It takes two 6 volt batteries in series to make 12 volts.At 2000 mah each.One set i use to play all day .And when i need to start engine i can from shore from my Transmitter.I always Race even thou i am more of a Sport Racer than always racing all the time.My Radio is a Futaba 3PK with 2.4 hz.Take Care, Dan

Thanks Dan, I think I am going to look at the 1/4 servo option. How to you like the E-start kit? I am going to use a bonzi sport I2R inline zen setup with one reversed cylinder and I think that would be a cool idea. I have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 GHZ, do you think that will work? I am planing just to have the boat to run for sport racing. Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 PM
fowlmood77

ORIGINAL: jmbraychy

walmart in the camping section if you have the room its watertight and no taping. unless you are running a pipe out the back over the box.
This is the box I am using in my new build. I have high hopes for it. So far, so good.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 PM
joeytoad83
My Feedback: (1)

im gonna go look at that box at walmart for my boat, my box keeps breaking.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
jmbraychy

i have flipped my Apache several times and have yet to have water in the box. its great to be able to pop two latches and the box is open no tape or 14 little screws to remove [have a shockwave 55 with the same type of box as the marine specialties box if it flips that box is full of water every time.] thank god for corrosion-x. another great box from win-dixie is the [email protected] it has 4 flip down locking tabs that keep it water tight. i have one on my rescue boat same thing never had water inside it and this boat at full power will push 1'' of water over the deck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60196.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	858655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85621.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	858656  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CaptJohnT

Just want to hear opinions on the best radio box for my deep v. I will only need one throttle servey but I am not sure on the rudder servey. I will be running twin MH$ S6 drives. Any advice would help... Thanks
For twin stern drives you are going to need over 400oz/in of torque to turn. Basically you need two 1/4 scale servos. I use and recommend the 805bb Hitech servo/s which is around $40 a piece, comes with "Y" harness, and will deliver 343oz/in of torque at 6volts (with quick response).

Sure you could use less power (Servo torque) but you will drain your battery quicker, have less control, less response, more potential for issues etc. A servo working hard will not last long and will eat your battery life.

While the Pelican boxes are not a bad concept be sure you have fuel resistant gaskets, a purge valve, etc. Many of the cheaper clear boxes react badly with solvents so be advised to keep them clear of any cleaners. Spending all that money on the transom and power - you might consider spending a buck on a quality radio box. What hull is all this going into?

When linking your drives - consider mounting the crossbar above the designed (weak) mounting bracket. I have heard of several failures of this bracket that will allow the props to contact.

You might also consider running a pair of counter rotating Zenoahs from Bonzi instead of the inline motor. No benifit from having an inline then a gearbox to two drives when you could just use two motors and two drives.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
jmbraychy

i have never heard of a pelican box but if its in reference to my post the gaskets on both box's appear to be a silicon base oil/gas have not effected them so far haven't had to use any cleaners other than 409 on the outside. but that's a good point to keep in mind.
i know about the oil/gas because when it flips the enforcer tank spits gas out of the cap like crazy.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Justaddwata

Pelican make a pretty [link=http://photography.search.ebay.com/pelican_Cameras-Photo_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacat Z625]comprehensive range of rotomolded cases[/link] http://pelican.com/home.php
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
CaptJohnT

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

For twin stern drives you are going to need over 400oz/in of torque to turn. Basically you need two 1/4 scale servos. I use and recommend the 805bb Hitech servo/s which is around $40 a piece, comes with "Y" harness, and will deliver 343oz/in of torque at 6volts (with quick response).

Sure you could use less power (Servo torque) but you will drain your battery quicker, have less control, less response, more potential for issues etc. A servo working hard will not last long and will eat your battery life.

While the Pelican boxes are not a bad concept be sure you have fuel resistant gaskets, a purge valve, etc. Many of the cheaper clear boxes react badly with solvents so be advised to keep them clear of any cleaners. Spending all that money on the transom and power - you might consider spending a buck on a quality radio box. What hull is all this going into?

When linking your drives - consider mounting the crossbar above the designed (weak) mounting bracket. I have heard of several failures of this bracket that will allow the props to contact.

You might also consider running a pair of counter rotating Zenoahs from Bonzi instead of the inline motor. No benifit from having an inline then a gearbox to two drives when you could just use two motors and two drives.

Thanks Matt, I understand the investment in my drive setup and I do want the best radio box avalible. As for the tie bar, what do you recomend? I was thinking about using two servo's with each servo having one rod to each drive thru the transom. Is this a good idea? Also is that servo digital? I have a 3PM 2.4ghz, is that the right servo for the job? Also I wanted to use the inline because with the reversed cylinder I can have the exhaust run down both outboard sides of the hull. The hull in question is a 73 Cigarette Flatdeck by a guy named Robert Newman. I found him on this board thru other members, it was the only hull that I thought most looked like a Cig not an apache.... Thanks for the help...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Believe It
Banned

the Hitec 805BB is not digital, so you would have to use PPM mode with the FASST system to use it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
CaptJohnT

How about if I use the Futaba S9156? It is 340 oz torque @ 6v. Is that enough??
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
joeytoad83
My Feedback: (1)

just picked up that box from walmart, mostly have it ready to go, just a few things left to finish. looks great in the boat.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
BB Modss

I run 2 JR DS8711's for turning the 2 s6 drives on my hunter, and 1 more for throttle, overkill but it makes me feel safe. Im running a moded ETTI BEC off of a 8k mah 2s lipo.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
jmbraychy

your going to love it. no tape and allways dry.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Justaddwata

Also I wanted to use the inline because with the reversed cylinder I can have the exhaust run down both outboard sides of the hull.
If you have counter rotating zenoahs you will have pipes on both sides of the hull since they just adapt and install the zenoah in reverse.

Rotating a jug is on an inline questioned by many as being a challenge to sincronize the carb travels as well as match the transfer ports from motor to motor.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
CaptJohnT

Also I wanted to use the inline because with the reversed cylinder I can have the exhaust run down both outboard sides of the hull.
If you have counter rotating zenoahs you will have pipes on both sides of the hull since they just adapt and install the zenoah in reverse.

Rotating a jug is on an inline questioned by many as being a challenge to sincronize the carb travels as well as match the transfer ports from motor to motor.

Would it be easier to synchronize a inline than twin setups? Also if you lose one engine on a inline you would still have both drives for handling.. Is that a factor on this setup? Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
glennb2006

If for some reason you lost a cylinder on an inline twin, then for sure it will be down on perfomance.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
CaptJohnT

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

If for some reason you lost a cylinder on an inline twin, then for sure it will be down on perfomance.

I agree, but the point I wanted to make is that you would not have a situation where the boat tracked violently to one side or the other. If that would even be a factor..
Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Justaddwata

You loose a motor and yes- you will only be able to turn and one way and probably have enough control to hold course. But you would also be able to shut down and recover the boat like any other boat with a problem.

If a motor shuts down in an inline - you might still have enough power to get her to shore and control will indeed be more balanced.

The inline zenoah will likely require 65mm props or slightly smaller if your using the splitter box and S6 drives as they will be overdriven by 50%
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM
CaptJohnT

You loose a motor and yes- you will only be able to turn and one way and probably have enough control to hold course. But you would also be able to shut down and recover the boat like any other boat with a problem.

If a motor shuts down in an inline - you might still have enough power to get her to shore and control will indeed be more balanced.

The inline zenoah will likely require 65mm props or slightly smaller if your using the splitter box and S6 drives as they will be overdriven by 50%

What setup is easier to tune and maintain? Also what zen source would you recomend for engines? I want the best for torque and relibility as the hull is a big heavy one. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.