Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New GAS Boats from Venom!!

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New GAS Boats from Venom!!

Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New GAS Boats from Venom!!

Just a reminder - if you want to sell items - this is NOT the forum to do it in.

Please use the (free) classified section of the site or contact the member directly.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:19 AM
rheeder218

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you kidding me i ask for a little help and now i need to post up a classified? Seems kinda crappy. what about the question i asked about the bigger carb working better?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 AM
TheRook76

I didn't really notice an increase in performance cause I never ran the boat in stock form. I upgraded the parts and then went out. I couldn't do a comparison.

<mod edit - edited for content>
Old 08-29-2009, 12:34 PM
JetJocky
My Feedback: (6)

1st Post here. Has anyone experienced range problems with the radio setup from Venom? I'm considering switching to Futaba for both range and a fail safe. I converted my Segad to Electric. Have not done a GPS read but it is really fast. I'm using a NEU 2230 Motor, Castle 240HV speed control, and 4- 5s 5000 mah lipos. I'm pretty sure it is in excess of 60MPH since it is running at about 30,000 rpm. It is a little unstable in rough water at speed, but still very manageable.

I'm thinking my electric setup may be causing a little interference causing range issues. As long as I keep it close (within 100 yds or so it is fine. Outside of that it seems to have a delay. Having flown model jets and Giant Scale the radio just does not "feel" right.

Glenn
Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
JPriami
My Feedback: (21)

Think I am going to just get the KWA engine and the voodoo prop thats mentioned in here. But I kind of wish I had the smaller KOS electric boat for the smaller pond here at home. That dual drive setup on it looks neat
Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM
rheeder218

ORIGINAL: TheRook76

I didn't really notice an increase in performance cause I never ran the boat in stock form. I upgraded the parts and then went out. I couldn't do a comparison.

Moderator:
And yeah no one was selling parts the guy ask for help. I mentioned I have my boat sold and maybe the new buyer can help him with my old stock carb. AND I DO HAVE A FEATURED AD FOR MY KOS FOR SALE IN YOUR CLASSIFIEDS.
let me know thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 PM
goodson

please somebody help this guy. his boat is slower than my stock Zen Rio, and i put mine together by guesswork. its kinda sad.

anyone suggest a better carb? his boat seems like its stuck running at the lower RPM range with his carb on there. anything to upgrade to from stock. suggest any place who might make one to fit the stock engine (without seeming like a classified ad....)?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 PM
TheRook76

ORIGINAL: thegoodson

please somebody help this guy. his boat is slower than my stock Zen Rio, and i put mine together by guesswork. its kinda sad.

anyone suggest a better carb? his boat seems like its stuck running at the lower RPM range with his carb on there. anything to upgrade to from stock. suggest any place who might make one to fit the stock engine (without seeming like a classified ad....)?
Well yeah go to this link and you can upgrade to a walbro 257 or 813 carb. They bolt up to the engine but you might have to use their throttle cable system. Scroll half way down the page and you'll see the carbs. They range from 40 to 55 bucks.
http://bonzisports.com/zenoah/zenoah_parts.html
Old 08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
TheRook76

Ok so I just sold my KOS and I was wondering as I never did a comparison to the stock form. I use to run it in choppy bay water and in a lake to help flush out any salt water. I never had any other boats so it seemed quick to me. The new owner says it doesn't seem to get to full throttle in the water. On the table the motor screams and you can see the throttle fully open. Needles are set to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. Now Bonzi recommended and I bought a 70/15/3 balanced, sharpened prop. I see everyone uses a 67/17/3 prop. How much power does that big prop kill and will it give it that effect of not reaching it's full potential. Thanks guys in advance
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 AM
rheeder218

ORIGINAL: TheRook76

Ok so I just sold my KOS and I was wondering as I never did a comparison to the stock form. I use to run it in choppy bay water and in a lake to help flush out any salt water. I never had any other boats so it seemed quick to me. The new owner says it doesn't seem to get to full throttle in the water. On the table the motor screams and you can see the throttle fully open. Needles are set to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns. Now Bonzi recommended and I bought a 70/15/3 balanced, sharpened prop. I see everyone uses a 67/17/3 prop. How much power does that big prop kill and will it give it that effect of not reaching it's full potential. Thanks guys in advance
sounds like the same problem i was having wiht my boat.

Its not the pro pmy buddy has the same exact boat and its nite and day, to what mine and his run. I put his carb on my boat and it made a big difference. I still think his is stil lputting out more power.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
witespy

I am the new owner. (of therook76 kos) The problem is that I get no Throttle. It feels like it wants to take off. I checked over everything and found a huge air leak/bubbling gas between the carb. and the engine.

looks like a re- seal will get her up and going again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22755.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	1267082  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
TheRook76

Whitespy email sent.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
hibby

witespy, Make sure you check your isolator block that it isn't warped, those plastic ones are good for that. Recommend an aluminum one with teflon gaskets. hibby
Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
rheeder218

if there was a leak then you would have had a "run away" problem when no under load. DId you?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM
witespy

Yes, It did start to run away from me, when I started it up. I knew something was wrong, so i killed it pretty quick.

hibby , can you point me too that alumimum isolator with teflon gaskets??

thank you guys
paul

Will this work? I heard that they hold more heat. this true? http://www.rocketcityracing.com/prod...17&item_id=944

cool beans.. @ TheRook76 . he is ordering me sharpen prop and everything. what an awseome seller. thank you thank you. I now own his kos. yay! I call the TUG, if you ever want to sell it =P

edit: .Good call on the iso. Looks like that is the problem. warped Bad. This is from over heating ?

edit edit: I ordered the part from WHH. two days later and they have not shipped my parts let. The site seems like they have a weak shipping department. They are close on friday. monday is a hoilday. who knows when I'll see them. I do not think I will never order from them again, and i live in FL. (ordered again from rocket racing, and its already on the way.) http://www.rocketcityracing.com/prod...24&item_id=252

ORIGINAL: rheeder218

if there was a leak then you would have had a "run away" problem when no under load. DId you?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33445.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	1267108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34913.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1267109  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Lee Racing

Ok, I just got a new King of Shaves, and I'm having problems with the radio system.  I bought a venom smart temp and thought that was the problem, but still messes up when disconnected.  When I try try to run the boat, I can get only about 15 feet away before the servos go haywire and shuts the boat off.  I have no idea what to do except change the reciever.  Real pain in the butt. 

Anyone have any suggestions, or ideas? 

Also, this only happens when the engine is running.  So it must be some kind of interference, but I cant find the source.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Lee Racing

Well, I got it figured out.  I mounted the reciever tight to the radio box, and when running the engine vibrations scrambled it.  If i have someone hold the reciever steady it all works fine, so i'm going to mount it with velcro and maybe some foam and try it. 
Old 09-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hardtime

49.9mph on smooth water & 51.3mph  a little wind + 3" chop. Not bad for stock prop & motor eh.
Starting 4th gallon and ya the tail split 2x, stock coupler and pipe broke & the carb. acts up every now and then.
Other than that,  fun boat , looks sweet and likes the rough stuff well in a striaght line. Cornering is still a little scary at speed.
Going to try the bigger venom 2 blade and see if I can hit 55.
Does anyone make a "short Strut"  with a skeg ?
Later: Hardtime
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
rheeder218

ok how do you get the dirve colet off the motor side on these things? thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 AM
dicko

Once you have unscrewed the screw from the middle of the collet, you place the collet on the edge of a hard bench/vice & tap it with a hammer rotating the collet after each tap so you hit it in a different location. It should pop off after 4 - 5 taps.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
rheeder218

holy crap what a huge difference this 4.5 motor made compared to stock. Well to atleast my buddies stock motor, because my is f-ed up and couldnt get full RPMS out of it. I would definetely recommend this motor to someone that has this boat. You can get it for aroudn $200 from tower if your a member.

So my question is what seems to be a good prop for this boat with the 4.5 and a tuned pipe? Also where can i buy it with it sharpened and balanced already? THanks
Old 09-17-2009, 05:49 PM
tc4 drft

Greetings KOSers! Been a while since Ive been on here. TheRook...props on the center mount gas tank. I had been thinking for the longest time how I could fit a screw cap tank in the center. All of them have fill necks that are too tall. It never once dawned on me to use the stock one. Brilliant! So, Ive totally reworked my radiobox. I hated the layout of the servos with the stock tray. Steering servo placement limits the linkage options, and the bent pushrods are kinda cheezy. Solution? Cut out a new servo tray from .118" polycarbonate, and install sullivan semi flexible pushrod units with pivot ball connections on all ends. I did the dual layer setup just like the stock tray has, only now the steering servo sits front to back instead of sideways, and the throttle servo is on the exhaust side, also front to back. The steering rods are a flexible plastic rod within a semi flexible plastic housing. This allows for the most direct path to the rudder while maintaining friction free and flex free movement. The housings fit inside the stock rubber seals perfectly. Just snip the skiniest part of the seals off, slide through, and wrap a few zip ties around the seal grooves. The zip ties anchor the housing in place. The pivot ball connections on the servo and rudder horn are sweet. There is no slop at all now. Should have a few pics up tomorrow showing this and some other things ive done.
For those who have upgraded the radio....what are you using for a steering servo? The stock one moves it around ok, but it could be stronger. What is the minimum torque i should have?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Prop wise you can run 6717 3B 6518 3B or something along these lines works well with a tuned pipe and KWA engine. The top speeds will be in the low 60's high 50's. We offer two props as well, VEN-1910 and 1909. Take a look on our site. You will also find props from Prop Shop and Octura.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
tc4 drft

I saw a 6717 for super cheap from a link on this thread with the venom name on the pkg. Does that fit the stock prop drive, or an upgraded 1/4?
Im looking at a new engine, the M6. Do I have enough room for the needed 2" bandpass pipe it requires? Has anyone fit one in yet? Does anybody make custom headers?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
TheRook76

Thanks Tc4. I unfortunatly ran into some money troubles and had to sell my toy. Whitespy is the new owner now. In time I'll have another for sure. Just got to wait till buisness picks up at my job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.