Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a belt sander for scratch-building?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Should I buy a belt sander for scratch-building?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
dannyual777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a belt sander for scratch-building?

I've built one boat from scratch-the 48" woodie that everyone has built by now !

Anyway, I remember when I started the build 3 1/2 yrs ago and I cut out the parts with a jigsaw, there was some sanding work that needed to be done. I didn't have a power sander to true up the edges so I had to do what I could with sandpaper. I put sheets of sandpaper on the floor and actually moved the wood over the sandpaper to keep my edges square and straight. It worked but I kept thinking that there has to be a better way.......something like this: [link=http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100067979&N=10000003+90014+500897]Ryobi Sander[/link] or this: [link=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=251508-46578-SB10Y&lpage=none]Hitachi Sander[/link]

I'm planning on building a couple of wood cats next. One nitro and one gas.

What do you think? Do I really need one or will the "manual way with a sheet of paper on the floor" continue to work for me? I really don't want to buy any more equipment but if it'll help me build a better boat, I'm all for it.

Danny
Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
dicko

Default RE: Should I buy a belt sander for scratch-building?

when it came to sanding I found the best & fastest for me was either a block of MDF with 60 grit paper glued to one side & 80 grti glued to the other (I used an old belt from a floor sander which was strong & didn't wear down over the build). Or for really large areas I'd start with a sanding disc on a grinder to get it close, then finish off with the sanding plank & then fine grit sand paper for a final smoothness. a wood plane is also handy to have. I personally used the grinder with a sanding disc more than I would have used a belt sander.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
dwr9

A benchtop belt and disk sander is one of the most useful tools you can have for any woodworking project. I have a Delta. They're all about the same. You might find one a little cheaper at Harbor Freight too. Doug
Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: dannyual777

I've built one boat from scratch-the 48" woodie that everyone has built by now !

Anyway, I remember when I started the build 3 1/2 yrs ago and I cut out the parts with a jigsaw, there was some sanding work that needed to be done. I didn't have a power sander to true up the edges so I had to do what I could with sandpaper. I put sheets of sandpaper on the floor and actually moved the wood over the sandpaper to keep my edges square and straight. It worked but I kept thinking that there has to be a better way.......something like this: [link=http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100067979&N=10000003+90014+500897]Ryobi Sander[/link] or this: [link=http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=251508-46578-SB10Y&lpage=none]Hitachi Sander[/link]

I'm planning on building a couple of wood cats next. One nitro and one gas.

What do you think? Do I really need one or will the "manual way with a sheet of paper on the floor" continue to work for me? I really don't want to buy any more equipment but if it'll help me build a better boat, I'm all for it.

Danny
Danny Danny Danny.....having the proper equipment and tools makes all the difference. If you had enjoyment with your last build using the "floor sheet manual sanding technique", than imagine the fun and enjoyment you can have with one of these powered sanders! Being a high school shop teacher I have access to just about any type of wood working equipment availible...lathes, jointers, planers, etc. However in my personal shop what I have is one of these little benchtop sanders that I consider essential scratch building equipment. Also consider a scroll saw for this building. You also will like a inexpensive model that are availible for less than $100 as well!

If these are still too much to spend, by all means at least get a small palm sander. I use mine almost daily. Had it about 6 months and has performed flawless. Has many hours of continuious work on it without problem....and I spend less than $20 for this at Home Depot! Probably one of the best little sanders a scratch builder could have!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50466.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	959395  
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

for scratch building they are a must have tool ..... price is around $100 at the tools stores

Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beltsander, Jiggsaw, Drill press, Dremel,... I wouldn't know what to do without them.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM
dannyual777

It looks like the advice is unanimous! I need to get a power sander before I start my cat build!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
nofords

ORIGINAL: OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

for scratch building they are a must have tool ..... price is around $100 at the tools stores

what ^^ said. (and pretty much everyone else!)
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
thevirginian

I hope you gonna buy a bench type belt sander like the one in the picture (Delta). But I would buy a "Craftsman" from SEARS. Better then DELTA. Mine was $89.00. Perfect for any project.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
dannyual777

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

I hope you gonna buy a bench type belt sander like the one in the picture (Delta). But I would buy a "Craftsman" from SEARS. Better then DELTA. Mine was $89.00. Perfect for any project.
I was looking at the Craftsman sanders such as this one: [link=http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921520000P?vName=Tools&cName=Bench+Power+Tools&sName=Sanders]Craftsman[/link]

It has a larger disc (8" diameter vs 6".) The reviews aren't all that great but that may be because people remember when Craftsman stuff was made in the USA and now most if not all of their power tools are made in china .

The Hitachi that I linked to in the first post is also an 8" disc. I bet they're both made by the same chinese company.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
LtDoc

Do you have to have one? No. But they are certainly nice to have. And, there are other considerations... look here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWeueEbPmA

- 'Doc
Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
dwr9

Pretty much all the companies make sanders with bigger disks and belts, just depends how much you want to spend. The 6 inch disk sander and 4" belt sander does just about anything I need to do for under $100. Doug
Old 05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
thevirginian

Roger that 100%
Old 06-01-2008, 02:54 AM
dannyual777

ORIGINAL: dwr9

Pretty much all the companies make sanders with bigger disks and belts, just depends how much you want to spend. The 6 inch disk sander and 4" belt sander does just about anything I need to do for under $100. Doug
Doug, I'll go take a look at my local Home Depot and Lowes when I get a chance. Even though I think that I'd like a larger sander, I'm open to the smaller, cheaper ones as well. I'd like to start the build in June if I can find the time. You know how long it took me to build and get my mono on the water !
Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Whichever sander you decide on, you can and will take hours of time off your build!

-Scott
Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
dwr9

Danny, if you want a bigger one and you don't mind the extra money, go for it. I'm just always on a very tight budget with this stuff. The mono may have taken some time, but it's still about the nicest looking one I've seen. Doug
Old 06-01-2008, 08:27 PM
RaceCraftRC

Please tell me that I am not the only person hear that drag races belt sanders!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
dannyual777

ORIGINAL: dwr9

Danny, if you want a bigger one and you don't mind the extra money, go for it. I'm just always on a very tight budget with this stuff. The mono may have taken some time, but it's still about the nicest looking one I've seen. Doug
Thanks again for the compliment on my boat, Doug [sm=biggrin.gif] . I'm usually counting every nickel as well since this is a very expensive hobby. Very expensive! I was just thinking that the larger diameter disc might be handy for sanding longer surfaces. This brings me to this question: what do you use more; the disc or the belt?

I remember that I had to sand all of my boat's bulkheads to get nice straight surfaces. It was tough to do accurately with a sheet of sandpaper on the cement floor. Since I'm planning to build a couple of cats, I'll have some very long pieces to sand perfectly straight in addition to all the many bulkheads.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Dreamin Hemi

I use the belt part more often. Has more support to help hold your angle better. I think I get more precision with the belt portion.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM
dwr9

I use both about equally. Doug