Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Large Scale Reciever/Servos AUX power battery size?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Large Scale Reciever/Servos AUX power battery size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Dave ESPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Scale Reciever/Servos AUX power battery size?

I run largescale cars, and they use 5 cell subC's for power and run in the 4400mAh zone as reciever power packs. This runs the Stearing and throttle servos also.

I picked up a nice WHH ENFORCER 48" that is RTR and the seller didn't make mention of what the powerpack was, just that it also had a failsafe.
So, I'm curious, in a boat, is there less draw and torque needed due to the ease and nature of "driving" on water?

What kind/ size power pack do you have in the radio box?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Dan S

Default RE: Large Scale Reciever/Servos AUX power battery size?

Depending on how much room you have in your radio box you can use your 5 cells sub-C pack with no problems.

in my Blast Cat I use 5 cells 2/3 A pack 1500mAh, it runs the steering (205oz/inch), throttle, Built in Failsafe, Voltwatch and the one pack will pretty much last all day.

I was going to buy a 4000mAh pack but after trying the 1500's without any problems why fix it if it aint broke.

Dan.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 AM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Dave ESPI

I run largescale cars, and they use 5 cell subC's for power and run in the 4400mAh zone as reciever power packs. This runs the Stearing and throttle servos also.

I picked up a nice WHH ENFORCER 48" that is RTR and the seller didn't make mention of what the powerpack was, just that it also had a failsafe.
So, I'm curious, in a boat, is there less draw and torque needed due to the ease and nature of "driving" on water?

What kind/ size power pack do you have in the radio box?

I run a 3000mAh pack in the radio box. Standard or minature servo for steering and high torque servo on the rudder. I do not use 1/4 scale servos. The pack will last about 4 hours of continuous use. So mine is good for all day too when breaks and switch off times are considered.

Glenn
Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
LtDoc

Dave ESPI ,
It's a matter of how much current the servos require and for how long. It's also a matter of not exceeding the voltage and current handling ability of the receiver used. Keeping those two things in mind, the bigger the better, as long as the battery will fit where you want to put it, and doesn't sink the boat (or bog down the car till it won't move, or the plane can't get off the ground) sort of. There are limits naturally. At some point the battery's size just isn't gonna 'fit'. That's when you quit. The 'mAh' or 'Ah' rating is battery capacity (size of the fuel tank), the voltage is the fuel's 'octane' rating (bit of a stretch there, but close enough).
- 'Doc
Old 06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Dave ESPI

Thanks guys

Thats what I figured would be the answer. Hopefully the boat has a god pack with it, I find out on Monday

* will post pix.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
MrMikeG

I use a 1/4 scale for steering and a standard for throttle, a 1100 mah will last me a 3 day race meet with 5 heats and practice easily.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:15 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

I use a 1/4 scale for steering and a standard for throttle, a 1100 mah will last me a 3 day race meet with 5 heats and practice easily.
Really ? even with a 1/4 scale rudder servo ? alot of 1/4 servo require at least 500 mah to run thats on the low end .. you figure the torque on that servo and a 48 inch boat that Daves using will draw alot of mah's .. i have a sub c 3600 with a volt moniter as well because IMO you can never bee too safe ..
Old 06-14-2008, 08:32 PM
monsterbrad

Have any of you guys had problems with fail safe glitching???
My servo's are jumpy when the boat is in the water with the ofna fail safe
I took it out and it was better but the servo's still jump a little on the throttle
I am going to try a duratrax fail safe and see what happens
Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 PM
MrMikeG

I use a volt watch and have a PCM radio with built in failsafe. 500mah, that is for 1 hour of use, a race is less than 10 minutes even if your boat needs rescue. A lot of add on failsafes are voltage sensitive. Sub-C's are over kill unless your running a huge boat with dual steering servos or an 805 (which is way over kill too)
Old 06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Dave ESPI

I use the TGN Baja Failsafe in 2 of my vehicles, adn it works on my third channel without ever failing me with my DX3.

Perhaps you are getting radio interference fromt eh Electro static field of your gas motor and its causing twitches in your servos.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:39 PM
monsterbrad

I am running a resistor plug which helps with that
I have not tried the new Duratrax one yet cause the boat is down for a new WWH clutch system.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Dave ESPI

OK, so I got the boat........ apparently it runs on a 4 cell AA reciever pack.......... sounds sketchy as hell to me for use in more than 1 tank, so I'll have to see if the failsafe that is inline with the on/off is a lowvoltage interrupt, because I don't see it as such, and there is not any direct magneto kill switch.

Need to do some mods for sure I think.