Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

short plug and fuel mix

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

short plug and fuel mix

Old 08-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: short plug and fuel mix

Better yet, ask any of the better known mod engine builders what they reccommend.
Toxic
CC Racing
Butch Mod
etc.
I'd almost bet that the majority of them will say 8oz or higher.

My initial thoughts a few years ago was the same as some of ya'lls. I'd rather toss a 2 dollar plug every now & then before destroying my engine. Only 8 oz (depending how heavy handed I am at the time, maybe even 10 oz) per gallon & good ol Coleman camp fuel...... 55 octane. No stink and keeps the wife happy when the boat is in the car.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Dan S

kwiktsi

HP2 Honda is great oil, I also like Amsoil Synthetic, and also their Saber pro.

Like I said earlier 8 to 10oz, the proven Norm has been 8oz.

I know of an other site ( the Dock ) that this is covered and 8oz is it.

I would run 8oz.

Dan.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
kwiktsi

Huh? You run coleman camp fuel in the boat- is that what I am reading? Or is it a combo of coleman, gasoline and oil? My wife would love if I could run a fuel that doesn't stink when it is in the car lol!
Joe
Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Dan S

lol

yes your reading it right.

Camp fuel, no gas added. Just Camp fuel with your same oil mix.

the only reason I don't use camp fuel, the price went up 2 to 2 1/2 time the price of 1 gallon of regular gas.

Dan.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 PM
kwiktsi

And it ran ok on that low of an octane?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Dan S

Well,

I have not tried it myself so I can't tell you first hand but according to people that do and a good number of those people are very reliable source, there are no loss of performance.

it runs cleaner without the smell.

but like I said, 1 gallon is $9.75 to $11.00 bucks. Makes no sense money wise at this time.

Dan.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Just out of curiosity, how long might the shelf life of this camp fuel be. I've had a few gallons in the shed for about 2 years....any good you think? Never opened containers.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
kwiktsi

Where do you guys get the coleman fuel from? Is it something that Wal-Mart carries, or do you have to go to a spoorting goods/camping place for it? If it doesn't smell and works as well as I've been reading, I'll run that- even though it is pricey, I won't go through it that fast and it is worth it to be able to keep the boat in our basement vs. the garage .
Joe
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Just out of curiosity, how long might the shelf life of this camp fuel be. I've had a few gallons in the shed for about 2 years....any good you think? Never opened containers.
Hemi,
That is a good question,
I know that if it was an unopened well stored gallon of Nitro it would be good, maybe its the same for the Camp Fuel.

kwiktsi,

Wal-Mart should have camp fuel.

Dan.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Doubledog

I've had in the steel can it came in for over five years. No problems.

Catch this.... three years ago The bottoms of some of the cans started rusting out so before they started leaking, I dumped about ten gallons of it in the large plastic gasoline cannisters. As stated, this was three years ago. I ran boats on that fuel six months ago and hit worked fine. Shelf life shouldn't be a problem. A racer might think differently, but for the sport boater, I've got no problem.

Matter of fact, I'll head to the basement now and take a few pictures.

***edit***
Pictures added for your laughing pleasure. Btw, DanS I'll bet I paid less for mine than most others did. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53786.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1017194  
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: Doubledog

I've had in the steel can it came in for over five years. No problems.

Catch this.... three years ago The bottoms of some of the cans started rusting out so before they started leaking, I dumped about ten gallons of it in the large plastic gasoline cannisters. As stated, this was three years ago. I ran boats on that fuel six months ago and hit worked fine. Shelf life shouldn't be a problem. A racer might think differently, but for the sport boater, I've got no problem.

Matter of fact, I'll head to the basement now and take a few pictures.

***edit***
Pictures added for your laughing pleasure. Btw, DanS I'll bet I paid less for mine than most others did. LOL

Your soda to beer ratio looks a bit lean there Doubledog, I reckon you are on 9/31 ratio there, which is only around 28% beer, might I recommend an increase to around the 50% mark - life always seems better around that ratio for me!

Glenn
Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Doubledog

glenn, how are you old friend?
Just to the left of that picture is a cool box (refridgerator). Its stocked fairly decent w/more cokes & beer. You forgot to include a case of wine in that pic as well. [8D]

Guess what??? Thank Goodness that I hung onto one boat instead of selling them all off. This next weekend is a huge event..... Yeah, going to run. Didn't think I'd have time with the new house & hobby but the wife and friends kind of put me in the situation. Would you believe I told my friend that I'd almost rather put floats on my plane and fly it instead?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:33 AM
RKS1949

When the "replacement boat" Miss Ellam get's here from Horizon,I'll give the 8oz. oil a try. Thanks guy's for the information. There's little (well no) information available locally (only two of us running boats),and our only source of information has been,the owners manuals,and sites like this. We were just using what the manual said,and it wasn't working too well. Thanks again,Ron
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 AM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: rocket-ron

When the "replacement boat" Miss Ellam get's here from Horizon,I'll give the 8oz. oil a try. Thanks guy's for the information. There's little (well no) information available locally (only two of us running boats),and our only source of information has been,the owners manuals,and sites like this. We were just using what the manual said,and it wasn't working too well. Thanks again,Ron
Just so you know, the Zenoah manual AND Warehouse Hobbies BOTH say 32:1- so who's right?? I'm running 6oz/gal to split the difference. I can see it being needed on a mod motor, but I just can't see the manufacturer being wrong on what their motor needs to survive in stock form.
Joe
Old 08-24-2008, 06:42 PM
rcboateric
Banned

the Zenoah manual AND Warehouse Hobbies BOTH say 32:1- so who's right?? by kwiktsi

some guys here run their boats at 60s 70s even 80s, if I followed what the zenoah manual and warehouse hobbies say, I think my motor would have already gone to their repair shop.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
JakeDW

Went to the local parts store to get the plug and what do you know they had to order some.So I mixed the gas at 8oz to 1gallon and just used the tall plug all is well starting on the stand now off to the lake in the next few nites.

thanks agine guys Jake
Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 PM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

the Zenoah manual AND Warehouse Hobbies BOTH say 32:1- so who's right?? by kwiktsi

some guys here run their boats at 60s 70s even 80s, if I followed what the zenoah manual and warehouse hobbies say, I think my motor would have already gone to their repair shop.
I agree- but again, you are talking about mod motors. Why would the manufacturer recommend a ratio that is unsafe for a stock motor? Everyone here touts WHH, yet when I say WHH says to use 32:1, they are wrong? That's all I'm getting at. Not trying to argue it, just not sure why the manufacturer would be wrong about what their "stock" motor needs to run on.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM

After i run my Aquacraft for about 10 minutes,i have to stop it because it has at least 1 liter of water inside.Can anybody give me an idea how to pump the water out of the boat?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:46 AM
RKS1949

ORIGINAL: JakeDW

Went to the local parts store to get the plug and what do you know they had to order some.So I mixed the gas at 8oz to 1gallon and just used the tall plug all is well starting on the stand now off to the lake in the next few nites.

thanks agine guys Jake
Jake,I just went through the same thing. They said the (the plugs) come in packs of 10,so I had to buy ten plugs! Guess I won't be running out of spares for a while. Ron