Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

short plug and fuel mix

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

short plug and fuel mix

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
JakeDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short plug and fuel mix

Was wondering what the ngk number for the short plug for the Zenoah is and how many oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas allso whats better 87 90 93 oct of gas to use in these.

Thanks guys

Jake
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
sandydr

Default RE: short plug and fuel mix

The number on my NGK plug is CMR7H. I'm using an oil ration of 1:25, but I have seen variables from 1:16 to 1:30. I started using 93oct, but after reading some forums have switched 87oct. At my ratio, you would be using just over 5oz.....I think.... (I'm used to metric!)
Old 08-21-2008, 05:57 PM
rcboateric
Banned

I agree with sandy, low oct fuel runs better, 1:16 equals 8 oz oil per 1 gallon fuel.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Dan S

correct on the plug and I also use 8oz to the gallon and 87 Octane gas.

Dan.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:56 PM
JakeDW

Thanks for the fast responces guys.

Jake
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
sandydr

Dan / Eric,
Should I switch to 1:16 then?

Regards
Sandy
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: sandydr

Dan / Eric,
Should I switch to 1:16 then?

Regards
Sandy
for me personally I find 5oz to be to low, the lowest I have seen and heard is around 6 to 7 oz to the gallon and up to 10 oz.

The majority seem to be using 8oz to a gallon and I find it to be a much safer number specially when running a mod engine.

Dan.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 PM
rcboateric
Banned

dan is right sandy, 5 oz is a bit too low, changing it to 7-8 oz would be perfect and safer, you'll experiece that new oil ratio that will bring more power on your engine.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 PM
RKS1949

I've just got a Pro Boat Formula Hydro 1/8 scale. I've had a heck of a time trying to get the motor to run right. I followed the manual instructions,and have beel mixing the fuel (above 90 octane) and the oil at 32:1 ratio (4oz. per gallon). No wonder I'm having issues with getting the engine to run right,it sags allot,no matter how much I richen the mixture![] Why would they even recomend a ratio of 32:1 for the engine? I think you guy's have solved my problems with the engine. I'll mix a gallon of fuel, 87 octane,and oil at 16:1 ratio and give it a try> Thank you very much for the information. RR
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 PM
fritzz13

hi i just purchased an insane hydro with a quickdraw engine the owner says use honda hps oil 10 oz too 1 gallon of gas but what octane of gas should i get
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
kwiktsi

Wow, people really run them that rich with oil. My Zenoah manual calls for 40:1 (about 3.2oz/gal). I have a hard time believing the manufacturer doesn't know how much oil to use with their engine lol. Which is right?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM
fritzz13

my mixture comes from pre owner im un able to contact him so what you think on octane percentage
Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 AM
doomracing

4 oz of oil is 32:1. i thought that 8 oz would be 64:1. more oil gives a higher number to 1 part gas.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 AM
kwiktsi

nope, the bigger number is how many parts fuel vs.oil (smaller number). 8oz would be 16:1.
Joe
Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

Here's a handy little reference to calculate gas to oil ratios:

http://johnscabin.com/light-switch/g...lfuelcalc.html

FWIW, I use 87 octane with 8 ounces of Amsoil Dominator per gallon. That's 16:1.

I break in new engines using 10 ounces of LawnBoy Ashless per gallon (12.8:1). I run 1 full gallon of this, then change over to the synthetic oil.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:15 AM
RKS1949

At 8-10 oz. of oil per gallon,are you fouling any spark plugs,or building up any carbon deposits? At 32:1 it's no wonder my new engine was running so hot,and sagging! Ron
Old 08-22-2008, 08:08 AM
kwiktsi

Anybody?? Why does the manufacturer recommend 32:1 if it is unsafe/no good? I'd think that running it as oil rich as some of you are, that you're losing power and using up plugs at a faster rate, no? Hell, all my chainsaws, leaf blower and weed whacker are 50:1 and they're holding up just fine AND they run full throttle, screaming all the time .

You'd think there is a line between safely lubricating things and overdoing it.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Dan S

kwiktsi,

Fuel to use is 87 Octane, there is no gain in using 90 or higher, it will actually do the opposite.

most manufacturer recommends approx 24 to 32:1 ratio ( thats for a stock engine ).

believe it or not more oil ( up to a certain extent ) will give you more power, you don't use more plugs any faster, just go out for 3 or 4 laps at WOT and bring the boat back in, don't give it the chance to idle as this will give you false reading on your plug.
check your plug, if its still white - too lean, if its black - too rich, you want a tan/coffee color.

Keep in mind that a weed whacker does not run anywhere near the 17000 to 20000 RPM's that our engine run at.

rocket: if you use a good synthetic oil there will not be any carbon build up.

Dan
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM
RKS1949

Thanks,Dan! Do ya think a mixture of 8oz. to a gallon would be ok to break in a new engine? That seems like a rich mixture,but you guy's know allot more about this than I do. I have a quart of Klotz syn. but was told to use regular oil for the break in. Ron
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
kwiktsi

Cool, thanks. I only run 87 anyway, you're right- if it isn't tuned/timed for the octane, it is a waste. It was someone else asking about octane .

I seem to recall my old dirtbikes running sluggish with a richer oil mixture, but it was years ago now, so I could be mistaken. I just thought you'd at least have problems loading up at lower speeds though for those of us running for sport instead of racing. Thanks for the info.
Joe
edit- I'm sure you know, but 32:1 is 4oz/gal- you said the lowest you've heard is 5-6 oz. So are you saying to absolutely not run the recommended 32:1 for risk of damage, or are you saying a little extra is better than not enough and doesn't hurt anyway (within reason, of course), so better safe than sorry? Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: rocket-ron

Thanks,Dan! Do ya think a mixture of 8oz. to a gallon would be ok to break in a new engine? That seems like a rich mixture,but you guy's know allot more about this than I do. I have a quart of Klotz syn. but was told to use regular oil for the break in. Ron
ron,

I have a full mod 260 broken in and I run 8oz (Amsoil) to a gallon and my plug has a nice tan/coffee color.

Dan.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: kwiktsi

Cool, thanks. I only run 87 anyway, you're right- if it isn't tuned/timed for the octane, it is a waste. It was someone else asking about octane .

I seem to recall my old dirtbikes running sluggish with a richer oil mixture, but it was years ago now, so I could be mistaken. I just thought you'd at least have problems loading up at lower speeds though for those of us running for sport instead of racing. Thanks for the info.
Joe
edit- I'm sure you know, but 32:1 is 4oz/gal- you said the lowest you've heard is 5-6 oz. So are you saying to absolutely not run the recommended 32:1 for risk of damage, or are you saying a little extra is better than not enough and doesn't hurt anyway (within reason, of course), so better safe than sorry? Thanks again.
Joe,
No problem loading up (not like Nitro).

keep in mind that a stock engine is approx 10000RPM and the manufacturer recommends 32:1, so if something happens they should replace the engine, one would think anyway.

a full mod 260 gives you approx between 17K to 20K RPM, thats quite a significant increase in RPM's.

I have heard of only a few that runs 5 or 6oz:1 and some at 10oz to 1
The majority seem to run 7 to 9oz to a gallon, 8oz to gallon is a good number for Max performance, it is also a safe number and its a lot easier to calculate when mixing your fuel.

one bottle has 32oz, thats for gallons, you don't have to start measuring in a separate cup to find out how much is left in the bottle and now trying to figure out how much you need to take out of the new bottle.

Dan.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
RKS1949

ORIGINAL: Dan S

ORIGINAL: rocket-ron

ron,

I have a full mod 260 broken in and I run 8oz (Amsoil) to a gallon and my plug has a nice tan/coffee color.

Dan.
Thanks,Dan! I really appreciate the information. Ron
Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM
kwiktsi

I agree with you on the mod motor- the extra RPM can use the extra oiling as well, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a stocker (like mine lol). I know my dirtbikes and snowmobiles would load up bad at low RPM's/idle if they had too much oil and foul out the plug. I figured this would do the same, but we aren't talking about excessive amounts either, I guess.

So, what would you recommend for a STOCK zenoah 26? I was going to run the recommended 32:1, but if you think that is too low, let me know. I was going to get fuel for it today, but I'll wait until I hear back from you just to be safe .

I'm also still lost on how a rich oil mixture will make more power- it doesn't burn nearly as fast or clean as gasoline. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me .
Joe
Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
rcboateric
Banned

dan, I'm running a 10 oz Honda HP2 oil on my Hornet engine, this socker would easily pull my rigger into 80s so I have to use this oil ratio, it looks a bit heavy but safer, the spark's color came out a light brown and had no oil deposit at all, engine has been overheated twice but never got in trouble and still running strong like new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.