Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

BJ55 Tuning help needed

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

BJ55 Tuning help needed

Old 08-31-2008, 03:26 PM
birdy233
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BJ55 Tuning help needed

My BJ55 ran perfect, three pulls then idled perfect, ran about 42 mph stock, never sputtered or died.

I flipped the boat over last weekend for the first time, it sputtered and and died while sitting upside down. Brought it in, drained the water that got in the boat. When I got home, drained the tank, had a bit of water in the motor as I pulled the plug and turned it over, had some water in it. Let it dry out and now it will not run right. Cleaned the carb, new plug, still no luck. It fires over but quickly dies. Have gotten it to stay running for a minute or so, had to set the low needle way out like four turns, but still winds up stalling. Any thoughts on what to do?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Default RE: BJ55 Tuning help needed

sometimes my boat would flip over on windy days, never had a problem like yours, you might re-set the needles back to original, and make sure there no air bubbles in the fuel.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM
birdy233

yep, fresh new fuel, just blew out the needles again, reset back to factory settings, seems to be ok right now. need to run it by the lake in the morning to verify
Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 PM
rcboateric
Banned

your engine will be fine.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM
dicko

Next time you flip it & suck water, get the engine started straight away, the heat will evaporate any water in the engine & the fuel will lubricate the inside & stop it from corroding.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:04 PM
kwiktsi

42mph stock?? Stock prop as well? Where do you have your strut height set to? Just curious because while I haven't GPS'ed it, there is no way mine looks anywhere near 40+ mph lol. Might be the size throwing me off, but I'd estimate low-mid 30's by eye. I gotta get my GPS in there and get some numbers on it. My electric cat is ~53mph and spanks the Blackjack like it's standing still- looks like a lot more than just a 10mph difference.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
birdy233

ORIGINAL: kwiktsi

42mph stock?? Stock prop as well? Where do you have your strut height set to? Just curious because while I haven't GPS'ed it, there is no way mine looks anywhere near 40+ mph lol. Might be the size throwing me off, but I'd estimate low-mid 30's by eye. I gotta get my GPS in there and get some numbers on it. My electric cat is ~53mph and spanks the Blackjack like it's standing still- looks like a lot more than just a 10mph difference.

All stock except balanced and sharpened stock prop. Use a garmin foretrex gps, works great picked up on ebay for $45. I use it as my tuning tool. Stock prop from the box I ran 38.8, after prop and adjusting strut up a bit got just over 42. It has gotten faster the more tanks I ran, when almost new it was running around 35-36 mph.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
kwiktsi

Wow, very nice. I have to GPS mine next time out. To me it looks slower than that, but it could be the size throwing it off. My smaller boats look like rockets at 40+ due to their size!

As for your running problem, if everything was good before and all that happened is it flipped, it has to be water in the lines, carb or motor still. I flipped mine and it gurgled along upside down until it sucked water and stalled. Pulled it in, yanked the plug and pulled it a bunch of times to get the water out. Dried the plug with a lighter, put it in and it fired up stalled- pulled plug again to dry it and blow the water out about 2 more times until it started, ran rough for a few seconds and and then ran perfectly from then on- even using the same tank of gas.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
philip clemmons

Mine runs 42-43 every hit. Its completely stock with a balanced stock prop. Strut is dead flush. I tried as high as 1/8" up with no noticeable change.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:27 PM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: philip clemmons

Mine runs 42-43 every hit. Its completely stock with a balanced stock prop. Strut is dead flush. I tried as high as 1/8" up with no noticeable change.
Hmm, I'll definitely have to GPS mine, it *looks* slower than that to me, but it is possible it's just the size throwing me off like I said. As for your strut being dead flush- are you talking about flush with the bottom of the sponsons? If so, did you have to open the slot up in the strut to get it down that low? Mine will not go that far down, I'll have to open it up a bit but I do have it as low as it will go with a couple degrees up thrust to it to try to loosen it up on the water a bit.
Joe
Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
lineman1221

Joe, i think your best bet is to gps your boat. if you think about it, a 1/10 scale sedan running at 40 mph would appear to run faster than a full size vehicle due to its size. the guy that i sold my BJ 55 bought another one after he crashed the one i sold him and that one runs low 40's all day long also. its fully broken in zen with acouple of gallons ran through it. that might have something to do with it also if yours isnt quite broken in yet.

Raymond
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
philip clemmons

Hmm, I'll definitely have to GPS mine, it *looks* slower than that to me, but it is possible it's just the size throwing me off like I said. As for your strut being dead flush- are you talking about flush with the bottom of the sponsons? If so, did you have to open the slot up in the strut to get it down that low? Mine will not go that far down, I'll have to open it up a bit but I do have it as low as it will go with a couple degrees up thrust to it to try to loosen it up on the water a bit.
Joe
Top of strut dead even with mounting bracket (this is the as shipped set up)
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: lineman1221

Joe, i think your best bet is to gps your boat. if you think about it, a 1/10 scale sedan running at 40 mph would appear to run faster than a full size vehicle due to its size. the guy that i sold my BJ 55 bought another one after he crashed the one i sold him and that one runs low 40's all day long also. its fully broken in zen with acouple of gallons ran through it. that might have something to do with it also if yours isnt quite broken in yet.

Raymond
Yeah, I agree- my 27" long x 7" wide electric looks like a missile at 41mph- my 31" cat looks absolutely ballistic in the mid 50's- especially since it only sits a couple inches tall! I'm sure it is just perspective due to it's size.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM
kwiktsi

Joe
Top of strut dead even with mounting bracket (this is the as shipped set up)
Gotcha. I typically set my cats up with the strut flush or just above the bottom of the sponsons. The way it sits in the bracket is kind of unimportant as bracket height can vary from boat to boat. Best to measure from the sponsons- with the boat sitting flat on a table, measure the height of the strut off the table surface. Thanks for the info though, I'll go look at where mine is sitting in the bracket. I know it is as low as it will go though.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
philip clemmons

Just got it this weekend, so I have had limited time and this is my first boat. It was just a good reference to use for tuning sake......................

Seems to be confusion on which way to move the strut to get more speed......................

Any takers?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
kwiktsi

Just got it this weekend, so I have had limited time and this is my first boat. It was just a good reference to use for tuning sake......................

Seems to be confusion on which way to move the strut to get more speed......................

Any takers?
I'm still waiting to hear about this myself. I have always moved the strut down to lift the boat, loosen it up from the water and gain speed at the sacrifice of some stability. I have heard others say the same about the blackjack too, but the majority say to raise it to gain speed. Makes no sense to me, but I guess it is possible if the boat is overpropped or something.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
illiniboater

I experienced my first flip yesterday, which was the 3rd time out with the new boat. Just drained the hull, pulled the plug, and cranked the engine to get the water out. Started back up and ran just fine. I am having a problem getting up on plane though. If I hit the gas the boat just doesn't want to take off. The RPM's are there and the prop appears to be spinning. If you easy into the throttle it will get up on plane and everything seems fine. Does the strut need to be adjusted or is there something going on with the clutch? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 PM
kwiktsi

sounds like the strut is too high. Try to lower it a bit and see if that helps.
Joe
Old 09-13-2008, 10:58 AM
WATER_BUGG

best tuning for a bj 55....first go out back and pic up a large amount of wood, lots and lots of sticks and stuff...next go in an invite everyone you no to a cookout.....now go get about a gallon of gas, poor over wood, after everyone arrives pass out a few beers, light the fire, let it get good and hot, the go get the bj55 and toss it right in the middle...stand back and feel how much better you feel without all the headaches....save yourself a little hassle and buy a real boat...been there done that they are all junk

Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 AM
kwiktsi

ORIGINAL: WATER_BUGG

best tuning for a bj 55....first go out back and pic up a large amount of wood, lots and lots of sticks and stuff...next go in an invite everyone you no to a cookout.....now go get about a gallon of gas, poor over wood, after everyone arrives pass out a few beers, light the fire, let it get good and hot, the go get the bj55 and toss it right in the middle...stand back and feel how much better you feel without all the headaches....save yourself a little hassle and buy a real boat...been there done that they are all junk

Hey look, another cynic! I've said it before- if you can't add anything positive to a thread, stay the hell out... The blackjack is not a bad boat at all, granted there are some RTR's that are total garbage, but the blackjack isn't all that bad. I just don't get why when someone says "I need help tuning", one of you has to come in here and bash the entire boat. The Zenoah in it is no better or worse than any other stock zenoah found in any other boat- yet when someone has a problem with tuning it- it is automatically because the boat it a pos? I just don't get it. Just because it is not some overpriced, heavy laid up sport boat does not make it garbage. It isn't the best of the best, but it is a damn good boat for the money.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:11 PM
birdy233

Mine is running great now. I don't know why all the bashing about the the BJ55. I've ran about 3 gallons now and other than the flip and a tough time tuning after the flip, (I didn't quickly try to start the boat after the flip, that may have caused the trouble) it has been a great boat. I don't race, just fun running, but no cracks in the boat, runs great, a few stringers came loose, just reglued them and no problems. I did just order a new WHH Enforcer, those things are built like tanks! But if you have nothing nice to say, move on.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
illiniboater

This is only my 2nd boat, both RTR's. I've had some issues (self imposed mainly) but nothing that broke the bank. I'm as happy as a clam! Are there room for improvements? Sure there are but you can say that with anything in life you shell out your hard earned money for. Take the good with the bad and have fun with it!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:08 PM
RKS1949

It dosen't make any diffrence what boat you have. You will make changes/upgrades to it! Pro Boat has an edge on some company's by installing quality Zenoah motors (hard to beat) in there gas boats. I have a Pro Boat Miss Elam Hydro. Is it the fastest Hydro? NO! Is it fun to rip around a lake? You bet it is! I know I'll be getting (better?) more expensive boats in the future,that will go faster,but I doubt if the Hydro will ever be for sale,it's just too much fun on Sunday afternoons. Ron
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
illiniboater

sounds like the strut is too high. Try to lower it a bit and see if that helps.
Joe
I tried lowering the strut and it helped some but still very sluggish taking off. Is that to be expected to some degree due to the boats size?

Took it out wednesday for the 4th time and was able to run a full tank. I was able to get ahold of some NGK plugs, fixed my broken plastic fuel nipple, and now it's running like I had hoped. Once it's up on plane anyways.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
RKS1949

When you say "sluggish" do you mean the motor is bogging down,or is it cavatating (prop slipping,motor rveing up) ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.