Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zenoah....the best engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zenoah....the best engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:44 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah....the best engine?

ask JakeDW, Tahoe1970 and martnofan here for how fast their SS engine, Hanson and redline modded good engines too with a dyno tested sheet but you will need to pay a bit more $$.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
doomracing

well to me a CNCed motor is the end result of hand working the same motor. not really sure how much of the mod work really is done on the stock parts vs having to remake the part to do the mod work. shaving the head, or making a jug a marine jug vs a air cooled jug could probably be done on stock parts. beyond that i have no clue.

all i want is just a mild mod. no 6+ hp. all i'm shooting for is 50 mph in my rio. plus i want it for FREE ! LOL hey a guy can dream, and if your going to dream dream BIG!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All i can say is its a strong motor the SS enterprises 260 very fast in my hydro,ive posted videos of it so judge for yourselves.As far as i know most top motor builders do the work by hand not cnc machine.
Mart
ps Eric i will get a gps on mine when i can find a gps happy now
Old 09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

All i can say is its a strong motor the SS enterprises 260 very fast in my hydro,ive posted videos of it so judge for yourselves.As far as i know most top motor builders do the work by hand not cnc machine.
Mart
ps Eric i will get a gps on mine when i can find a gps happy now
lol, you'll happy with the gps mate.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
tmt32mj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree that a zen is the best bang for the buck, but how about this can of worms. who is the best person/shop to mod the motor?
Look up the gas record from IMPBA and NAMBA. One name will appear more often than everybody else. You will rarely see his used engines on the market, and it won't last long on it neither.
FYI, there are some VERY good engine modders that just do it for fun. And there are businesses that will give you a dyno sheet that aren't true. I won't name names here, but do your research and hopefully you won't buy the wrong ones.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 AM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: tmt32mj

i agree that a zen is the best bang for the buck, but how about this can of worms. who is the best person/shop to mod the motor?
Look up the gas record from IMPBA and NAMBA. One name will appear more often than everybody else. You will rarely see his used engines on the market, and it won't last long on it neither.
FYI, there are some VERY good engine modders that just do it for fun. And there are businesses that will give you a dyno sheet that aren't true. I won't name names here, but do your research and hopefully you won't buy the wrong ones.
In this vid, Wally is running a SS engine, if he likes to show 0-78.4 mph of the GPS reading, I'd say that is a new speed record to me since the GPS has +/- 0.1-0.5 mph speed error, but we can ignore it, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJXL5...eature=related
Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
tmt32mj

In this vid, Wally is running a SS engine, if he likes to show 0-78.4 mph of the GPS reading, I'd say that is a new speed record to me since the GPS has +/- 0.1-0.5 mph speed error, but we can ignore it, correct me if I'm wrong.
IMPBA and NAMBA do not recognize GPS reading as speed record. That's why they have the time trials. The time trap is much more accurate and is used to calculate records. It is calculated using the time to cross a set distance. With straight away record, the driver has to back it up with a second pass. Opinions vary very much from individuals as to how accurate the GPS really is. Some might say there is a lot more than +/- 0.1-0.5 MPH diffrerence. It also depends on how tight the GPS was put in the boat and whether the boat went airborne... as those will mess up the real reading.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen that vid plenty of times and Wally's boat is very fast and very impressive. I have no reason to doubt his GPS speed. But if he was to have it in the record book, it has to be done the official way which is using the time trap (he might have done it already, I don't know).
Personally, I have reading of up to 8 MPH after blow over which I can never duplicate. Also, I have seen too many people finding out their speed at the time trials much slower than their GPS. But it's just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
rcboateric
Banned

I just found an article of how accurate the GPS, I also compared the GPS to my car's speed meter many times and they show the actual same speed at the highway, if anyone says the GPS is incorrect, that means our car speeds are wrong too.

http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpsspeed.htm
Old 09-27-2008, 06:17 PM
JakeDW

I cant answer how fast my SS full mod is because I have not ran it yet but Steve told me it will spin any prop I put behind it.You can get a new full mod SS from www.gasrcproducts.com for 495 or buy a new motor 205 from Bonzi off ebay and have it modded 290 from SS or several others ranging from 210 to 300.Wallys 78 mph Sprint cat vid convenced me to go with a SS and a QD steal pipe nothing sell products like proof.But then agine I am building these type of boats (42in cats)just the rite size and fast.

Jake
Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: tmt32mj

IMPBA and NAMBA do not recognize GPS reading as speed record. That's why they have the time trials. The time trap is much more accurate and is used to calculate records. It is calculated using the time to cross a set distance. With straight away record, the driver has to back it up with a second pass. Opinions vary very much from individuals as to how accurate the GPS really is. Some might say there is a lot more than +/- 0.1-0.5 MPH diffrerence. It also depends on how tight the GPS was put in the boat and whether the boat went airborne... as those will mess up the real reading.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen that vid plenty of times and Wally's boat is very fast and very impressive. I have no reason to doubt his GPS speed. But if he was to have it in the record book, it has to be done the official way which is using the time trap (he might have done it already, I don't know).
Personally, I have reading of up to 8 MPH after blow over which I can never duplicate. Also, I have seen too many people finding out their speed at the time trials much slower than their GPS. But it's just my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
Good post i agree but i keep getting shot at for saying it lol,i think theres a big diff between a gps in a car and a boat as boats jump and that can cause iregular readings .Also when a boat turns sharp id think that could cause a blip too.Time traps are the only safe way to tell exact speeds in my opinion.
Mart
Old 09-27-2008, 06:57 PM
rcboateric
Banned

jake, the speed doesn't come out the box, it involve lots of set up, pipe length, prop and etc, you will need some time to deal her in too, looking forward to see your cat that runs in 70's.

mate, my boat won't jump when it runs as you can see in the vid, I know the GPS has a small error but we can ignore that.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:12 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

I know the GPS has a small error but we can ignore that.
So now you admit it just kidding ,im sure for everyday use as a tool to dial in a boat its great and if its within 0.5-1 mph its pretty good but for records its gotta be the old fashioned way i reckon .Jake you will like that motor i look forward to seeing it run in your cat,be carefull that falcon can be a flight hazzard .It will take quite a few tanks for that motor to unwind to its potential too .
Mart
Old 09-27-2008, 07:14 PM
JakeDW

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

jake, the speed doesn't come out the box, it involve lots of set up, pipe length, prop and etc, you will need some time to deal her in too, looking forward to see your cat that runs in 70's.

mate, my boat won't jump when it runs as you can see in the vid, I know the GPS has a small error but we can ignore that.
Eric I am totaly with you setup is everything but at least I know the parts I have should be up to the taskI know Wallys QD pipe length allsothough I am sure mine could like it diffrent.

Jake
Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 PM
tmt32mj

Good post i agree but i keep getting shot at for saying it lol,
Hope you didn't get hurt from the shots . People can argue with the truth but they can't change it.
As far as the accuracy of GPS go, I had a little experience a while back with my GPSs. I do travel quite a bit, and I also fish and have this addiction, so I have 3 different GPSs. A Nuvi 650 for traveling, a eTrex for fishing, and a Forerunner 101 for boating. I had all 3 in my car at the same time, and they were within 1MPH of each other but they were different. They were also about 3 MPH lower than the speedometer on my car. Go figure.
As far as the vast majority of boaters concern, the speed records are set at the time trials. Period.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 PM
rcboateric
Banned

next time I might show you a live vid of my GPS reading in my car and the speed meter reading together at the same time, they would appear the same digits.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:11 PM
martno1fan

You get used to dodging bullets on here after a while comes with the terrotary i guess .
Old 09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Dreamin Hemi

My Forerunner 201 and both my vehicles show almost identical speeds at any given time.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 AM
MistralK

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

My Forerunner 201 and both my vehicles show almost identical speeds at any given time.
Yes,i also have made comparison with mi FR201,my TT on the phone with external bt antennas e with the car instrument..the gps's reeds the same speed..the car at 140kmh reeds 10kmh less..

But we're going OT....
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 AM
MrMikeG

If you take your car in for a speedometer adjustment they use a GPS to set it so I think the GPS is way way more accurate than any car speedometer. They do get errant readings once in a while, download the data and you might see where the blip is.
Anyone who does SAW records deserves respect in my book, never done one myself but have been on the support team and it is very very difficult.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:18 AM
Old NEET

Default Is Zenoah still king of our world?

It has been 10 years since the last post talking about Zenoah G260PUM as the best power source for rc boat (in terms of all sort of considerations).
Now 2019, G260PUM is available under $200 but G290 or 29mm stroke G300 with same crankcase are available.
Has anyone compared these motors and would inform us about them?