Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

fiberglass guys making stringers.

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

fiberglass guys making stringers.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fiberglass guys making stringers.

Ahh but there are lots of shapes and things you cant do in glass that you can do in wood and to be honest you just cannot beat the look of natural wood on a boat if thats old fashioned then so be it.Heres a pic of a mate of mines it has a mix of paint and natural wood its a real looker,hes from the states too.By the way half the boats we run started life as a wooden plug so wood is our friend so its not as old fashined as you think .The only reason full size boat builders are getting away from wood is money and skill or lack of because believe me building a boat from wood is one of the hardest skills there is ,ask me how i know yup you guessed it.Of course race boats will allways be glass for obvious reasons nowadays but you still cant beat the look of a nice wooden chriscraft or riva style runabout.
Mart

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70044.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1053510  
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
JakeDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are talking two diffrent things a glass boat with wood incased in glass will rot at some point thus building it out of something lighter ect is good not lack of skill.

Now if you are talking a wood decked boat ect than yes natural wood grain stained out ect is very nice and you need the skills to pay the bills for that.Every plug will still most likely be built with wood.

We are talking a glass RC boat that we want as light and as strong as we can get it that will last not a Wood deck Miller 18 ft v drive.

Jake
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Are you not going to install wood rails on your cat kit? as you know, most of the boats in our country are using them and they are popular.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
JakeDW

ORIGINAL: rcboateric

Are you not going to install wood rails on your cat kit? as you know, most of the boats in our country are using them and they are popular.

I am a bit confused on what you are asking me.I have a nother Falcon coming I am going to take out the short ply stringers and install these epoxy ones I made, to tell you the truth Eric in a v bottom the wood might make a diffrence because it holds the bottom true and stright on a cat they are to mount stuff to mostely since they sit on the top of the tunnel I just wanted full length ones so I can add a bulkhead up front and install a nicer bag mount.

Jake
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 PM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: JakeDW

I bought a scratch dent one from Frank(the guy that makes them) off ebay for 96 bucks it will be the one to get cut down ect.

Jake
Sorry Jake, I thought that you had bought a Falcond cat kit from Frank(the Falcon cat dealer) without the rails installed, BTW, What's the scratch dent thing?..LOL
Old 10-17-2008, 08:28 PM
JakeDW

Frank is the guy that makes them and sells them on ebay he had a white and purple Falcon no one wanted (his words) he guess because of the color said it had some thin gell on the bottom and put it up for auction so I bought it for 96(high bidder) bucks when I saw it I was about to buy another one but in black to cut down so it worked out in my favor.It has the stringers allready in it they will come out.

Jake
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Thanks for the explaination jake cause I never bought a boat that needs to work a lot on those rails(stringer) and transom wood.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
JakeDW

I see you are digging at something it could be run as is I JUST WANT TO CHANGE IT because that is me being me.If you are happy with what everyone else has or some ones old hull they set up so be it I like to add my touch to it.

Not trying to push the Falcon on anyone.I will watch more talk less and work on my project.[8D]

Jake
Old 10-18-2008, 03:13 AM
martno1fan

We are talking two diffrent things a glass boat with wood incased in glass will rot at some point thus building it out of something lighter ect is good not lack of skill.

Now if you are talking a wood decked boat ect than yes natural wood grain stained out ect is very nice and you need the skills to pay the bills for that.Every plug will still most likely be built with wood.

We are talking a glass RC boat that we want as light and as strong as we can get it that will last not a Wood deck Miller 18 ft v drive.

Jake
I didnt mean to say making things in glass is less skillfull what i meant is theres a lack of skilled wooden boat builders nowadays as it takes yrs to train someone to do it propperly and wood been so expensive comes into play also,but reading what i posted i can understand how you saw it like that.Theres a lot more involved where wooden boats are concerned than using glass though i have to say,almost anyone can lay glass and resin its not that hard joke .Wood wont rot if looked after ,in fact some wooden boats last longer than glass,ive seen many large boats scrapped due to osmosis setting in within 15 -20 yrs of been built so glass isnt as indistructable as you might think and once osmosis sets in its an expensive job to treat it.It needs just as much maintenance as wood in my experience ,20 yrs in the boat building industry mainly wood as that was my job been a chippy.Lighter than wood ? that depends on the wood i supose and the scale of boat i know i can make a wooden model lighter than a glass one for sure.Anyways moving on sounds like you got a good bargain on ebay,i actually like purple for a boat,it looks great with some yellow detail on there and shows up awesome like that,i had a plane in those exact colours and it was a real head turner and you could see it for miles.How about a few pics of it.
Mart
Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 AM
JakeDW

All good points ,your wood hydro is held togeather with what I am talking about epoxy.I have redone a few 30 year old boats glass was fine wood was trash we could go on all day whats the point.

You want an all wood boat I say great I just want an all epoxy version both could have their own avantages and disavantages nothing is new with this anyway its all been done befor.

I would like to keep the hull under 4.5 lbs can I, guess we will see.They weigh just over 4 how they come.

Dico, Mike ,NVS,ect thanks for throwing out some ideas.

Jake
Old 10-18-2008, 10:40 AM
rcboateric
Banned

I see you are digging at something it could be run as is I JUST WANT TO CHANGE IT because that is me being me.If you are happy with what everyone else has or some ones old hull they set up so be it I like to add my touch to it.

Not trying to push the Falcon on anyone.I will watch more talk less and work on my project.[8D]

Jake
Come on jake, I was not and actually some of my cat joints are loose since it had blow off a few times and they may need fixing, sorry man if I made you feel that way.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
martno1fan

Hey Jake its all about opinions mate and im not saying one way is right or wrong just giving a diff opinion ,can i ask why your so concerned about a few ounces of weight? to be honest too light can be a bigger problem than too heavy especially if you want to go 70 mph .Epoxy is def a better resin than polyester but its very expensive so for me its out but good luck with yours .
Mart
Old 10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
rcboateric
Banned

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Hey Jake its all about opinions mate and im not saying one way is right or wrong just giving a diff opinion ,can i ask why your so concerned about a few ounces of weight? to be honest too light can be a bigger problem than too heavy especially if you want to go 70 mph .Epoxy is def a better resin than polyester but its very expensive so for me its out but good luck with yours .
Mart
I dropped a 18 ounce epoxy to my cat front area to get her nose down but that costed me a bit more gas fuel to run her, my rigger weighs about 9.2 pounds and my cat is about 15 lb, by the gallon per mile, my first boat is better for fuel saving.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 PM
JakeDW

Its all good Eric this is a descusion board I guess.

Mart I guess you get trained when building bigger boats to think lighter is faster but more dangerous good thing for me I done have to ride in this one.

Jake
Old 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
MrMikeG

I have laid up engine box reinforcing with Mat and epoxy resin, the binder in the mat is starch and although it doesn't melt in clear like poly it still bonds together, just a bit cloudy. Layer cloth, mat, cloth gives good thickness, strength and light weight. Carbon cloth on the outside looks trick.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 AM
nvs motorsports

I made this bracket for a jet ski but it will be the same laminate for my stingers when i finish stringer mold
Lay up is 1 layer 6 ounce carbon, 2 layers of 450gram chop matt and 1 layer of carbon again i use UV stable surboard resin which is water clear an strong cure only have 5 min working time but so can be a pain to layup

This bracket is 20cm long an 10 cm wide 1.5 mm thick weighs only 25 grams [>:]

The mold is a pressure die molding inner an outer
An no i cant show the mold im protecting the technology
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60746.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1056115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51879.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1056116  
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
JakeDW

Well things have changed Frank emailed me back saying the inside he thought was dirty was yellowed and offered me some more money off but I just had him make me a new all black one instead.Told him to send it with no wood inside.

Jake
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM
MrMikeG

Transom wood is hard to get in perfectly flat with no bubbles once the deck is joined. If your dead set on no wood ask for a couple of extra layers of glass in the transom.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
nvs motorsports

I used a cormat in the transoms of my boats when i build them wont rot an very stiff you apply it like fibreglass with resin and it conforms to any shape
Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 PM
MrMikeG

Do you ever have any trouble with the coremat crushing when bolting on transom hardware? I have used it to stiffen the bottom, never thought of using it in transoms.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
JakeDW

I was going to use roving a layer or 2 for the transom it came out really light on the stringers so going to use it there allso using quad epoxy to lay it out.

Jake
Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
nvs motorsports

No have no trouble with cormat in transom i lay boat up when it has gone off i put coemat an another thin layer of glass on top of cormat as long as cormat has right amount of resin in it no troubles at all