Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hull layups

Old 10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
JakeDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull layups

Well thinking of layups.Can you guys give me an idea of what you guys use in trems as oz of cloth and matt.

Was thinking of going the rout of one layer of 2 oz matt one layer of 18 oz woven glass the weaves are 1/16 wide and anothe layer of 2 oz cloth (to much? )it would be done in epoxy no gell would like the weight to be around 4 to 5 lbs on a 41 in hull

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hull layups

Currently im using matting only on my sports hulls i use one layer of 300csm then 1 layer 400 csm right on top while its still wet to save on weight,46" hull with high freeboard with stringers and transom ply installed is at 3.5 kg.Pretty light for a big boat and strong,if you use epoxy you could go lighter and use less cloth matt etc,i think Scott uses 1 .5oz mat followed by 7-8 oz cloth on his hulls and this is with polyester resin so id think 18 oz cloth is too much especially for an epoxy hull.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91529.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1052605  
Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Dreamin Hemi

For starters, you cannot use fiberglass mat with epoxy resins. The mat has a binder that keeps the fibers held together...it requires polyester resins to break down the binder and spread the fibers out. Can't do that with epoxy therefore you have to use cloth exclusively for that type resin. Cloth is woven together and does not have a binder. Unless you have experience with epoxy, I would suggest staying with polyester. It's much cheaper and easier to work with. Epoxy layups use a completely different technique.

By the way, I typically will use a 1 oz mat under 6 o cloth. My hulls have been coming in now at 6.0 to 6.2 lbs using this combination for a 50" mono hull.

18 oz cloth is WAY TOO HEAVY! I use that stuff when I'm building full size boats, definitely not a model. If you are using a cloth over mat, no need to go over 7 oz, even 6. The Bondo brand of cloth found at WalMart is weighed in at 6.5 oz and actually works very well.

-Scott
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
JakeDW

Guys thanks for the info Scott yes I know not to use matt with epoxy for a layup that is why I wanted to know the weights you guys were using for referance.

My supplier had said he had the 18 oz stuff and I was thinking it was a bit to thick allso now confrimed thanks so you guys are using 7 oz total.

So Scott you are saying a 1 to 2 oz cloth then the 6.5 cloth for a total of 7.5 to 8 oz.Or just the 6.5 cloth and nothing else?

I can tell you guys that my Falcon is made with cloth and then some type of woven cloth then cloth agine and it is supper light when I get my new hull I will weight it for you guys.He might vacume bag these things not sure.

I do not want to gell them that is why I want to use epoxy and cloth /carbon fiber/woven type material.

Thanks agine guys.

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Close...I only use one layer of cloth over the mat. Cloth weight is only about 6 oz/sq yd.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM
JakeDW

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

Close...I only use one layer of cloth over the mat. Cloth weight is only about 6 oz/sq yd.

Thanks Scott most guys would never tell you their layup they would let you f up a few your self wich I would under stand.

I just want a potato chip layup with tank strength not to much to ask for rite

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Dreamin Hemi

When I started laying up hulls I was in your shoes with very little information. I had to do my own research and experimentation with different weights. With the assistance of a certain member here, Dana, I was able to build a strong and lightweight hull after absorbing and utilizing information he provided to me. It also helps to know a few people that work for Aeromarine around the corner from me. Nobody there ever gave up the "secret recipe", however a couple years of picking the brains of these guys at least gave be a good idea of how to do my own glasswork.

We here at RCU are all about helping out our fellow members and making a seemingly impossibly project a reality. Thats why we all spend the hours we do in front of the computer, to learn more and more. I don't know of many who wouldent share their knowledge. No matter how many people you ask, you'll probably get just as many different ways to get the same job done.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Dana W

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use one layer 3/4 oz mat & one layer 5.6 oz cloth on my 46 " mono's and there coming out at 5 lbs. keep in mind you want your finished lay up to look dull . If it's shiny then your lay up is resin rich and added weight .
Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
JakeDW

Thanks Dana you gona make a Drag cat to match your Drag runner?your runner is a sweet deal.

Jake
Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Dana W

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL , No there's to many cat makers out there , I think I'm the only one making a runner .
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 AM
MrMikeG

Scott, i think if you used a metal roller to squeege out more resin you could get your hulls a lot lighter with the same strength.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point Mike i use a metal roller it has grooves in it and it works really well too,you just need to be sure to remember to clean it well ask me how i know [X(].There is a guy over here who uses only one layer of matt for his boats he uses 600 csm and he races his boats offshore but ive not seen one up close to see how light they are etc.Jake i think those cats are made using vinylester resin which is similar in strength to epoxy but by all accounts its horrible stuff to work with.Id stick to polyester as said its cheap and easy to use,the only way to use epoxy really is to vacuum bag them which is a whole other ball game.
Mart
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Yeah, already use one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97438.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1053237