Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

gas offshore class

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

gas offshore class

Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 AM
nvs motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas offshore class

Ive noticed more people are building offshore style gas boats if you could make the rules based on a 50 to 60 inch boat single zenoah setup what would you suggest
Remember keep it fairly simple as it would have to be a good class to run in rivers an safe enough for a crowd to gather dont want 60mph monsters going out of control an killing people
I just would like to see some clubs get out in public eye with boats people can relate too that can be run in reasonable water not smooth pond going around in dizzy circles
Could you imagine a few skaters mtis and tenecara style hulls racing in small chop doing approx 30 to 40 mph in a bay or river with around 50 to 100 people watching be like watch a scaled down real offshore race

Ok now for comments or suggestions
Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 AM
74stroker

Default RE: gas offshore class

sounds great,why would it have to be in the 50 to 60 inch range as there quite a few that are around the 46 inch and up,as for course would it be like triangle or similar style circuit,would the engines be stock or modded ,just curious but sounds great
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 AM
nvs motorsports

Yeah thats a good size i did not mean it had to be 50 to 60 inch ideal would be 45 to 60 inch
I reckon a m type course with a long lap to mix it up a bit
Engines mods does not really matter not as if you going to go flat out in river type water with a bit of chop be better to be reliable an trouble free plus boats would have to look proper scale like not sprint cats type boats
Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 AM
nooh

Got room for me on the start line one day.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:36 AM
nvs motorsports

Yeah bring it on love to see 6 to 10 cats doing a running start with start boat leading what a spectacle
I was in club racing years ago ran nitro formula 1 stock 7.5 k an b class boats the club had about 15 boats in same class put race on at a boat show crowd went wild when we put about 8 boats at same time on water
i go an check club racing time to time cant get my head around what they do now with riggers an stuff that is just like seducer hulls sprint cats riggers it is not real type racing
Just me i guess no offence to the guys who do like that type of racing but we really need to expand with the world so our hobby can grow hence suggestions of this class may start some type of movement
Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 AM
viperhulls

Hi guys, we do have something like that in Brisbane already, it is not a club as such but there are a group of us get together on sunday morning down at nudgee beach in the river section just after the boat ramp. Everyone is welcome to come and run with us, there are boats from 50inches up to 74inches there, cats and deepvees. So come on down and check it out. last week end we ran up at redcliffe on the opposite side of the marina near Morgans Seafood. Danny from sonic racing has a calender on his website if you want to check it out to see where we are running.
We are not running this weekend however as we need to spend some quality time at home with the other half. (building boats) We will return to nudgee the following weekend. 16/11/08 Start time is around 7:30 am.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:11 AM
nvs motorsports

Exactly what im talking about viperhulls i would like to form a club like yours next year on the gold coast probably not to the same size of boat
Id prefer everyone race same type of boat class that way it is even racing an build a class series an have lots of boats in one class not 5 boats spread over 3 classes which most clubs seem to have

Maybe we can both meet up an have inter club races eventually but first will have to get one up an running here first

Bring on gas superboat as a class 45 to 60 inch mono or cat single zenoah
Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Dreamin Hemi

I'm in!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
glennb2006

Bit like this you mean?

http://www.omra-uk.org/

Glenn
Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
nvs motorsports

Well spread the word to everyone one lets form this new class as a world wide format so we can all compare country to country maybe even the affiliated like namba and other organized racing may take notice
This hobby needs a unified class that can be recognised worldwide something to take to the public an draw them into this sport something reasonably cheap with no ridiculous rules other than simple measurements engine rules an good safety rules

WE need this to be a drivers hobby not a hobby that is based on who has the most bucks wins not bogged down with ridiculous politics an bickering on who has the better class it needs to be fun again
So if we all start putting our heads together we can come up with this class its rules an format that we can all agree on
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 AM
munro1656

count me in when the ball and chain oh sorry I mean wife gives me leave from the kids!! I WON'T be missing the super high tides coming up in the next couple of weeks

cheers craig
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 AM
nvs motorsports

venom cat< rio51 < blackjack 55 would be legal in this class most RTR gas boats would which is a good start
Old 11-07-2008, 07:04 AM
nvs motorsports

No the OMRA RULES are to complex an once again to many classes but a very cut down version of this will be similar but one type of motor 26cc zenoah onlyany mods no hybrids ie quickdraw or after market jugs
Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 AM
munro1656

venom cat< rio51 < blackjack 55 would be legal in this class most RTR gas boats would which is a good start
I think this is the biggest problem whats legal and whats not rules and regulations can get in the way of a fun day of boating
Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 AM
nvs motorsports

simple rules 45 inch to 60 inch cat or mono 26cc zenoah motor or RTR motor 26cc to 28 cc must have failsafe fitted an simple duty of care rules for absolute safety for drivers an spectators
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM
sonicracing

Sounds good to me, there are 7 guys here in Brisbane that have 60" mono hulls running or near running at the moment and there are others being built. In the current boats that run with us there are 6 Titans with single G260 engines and Tony's 60" Stealth plus a whole host of other boats from 45" to 70", 18 locally not counting the ones that are being built. We all run regularly and would welcome any new guys regardless of hull type, engine type or capacity.

I agree the rules need to be kept simple so how does this fit into the equation. The 60" Titan hull for example measures 60" from the transom to the nose but there is a 2" overhang at the top of the transom so the hull is 62" if measured in total length. The same goes for cat hulls, mine for example measures 59" from the transom (the rear most wetted ride surface) to the nose but is 64 and a 1/2" in total length with the overhang and there are others that are similar that run with us. Perhaps a rule governing hull length could incorporate the term of " the rear most wetted ride surface" to allow for the variations in hull designs.

Other than that, Sunday the 16 should be a great day for all who attend, bring a table and bring shade. [link=http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.355046,153.10472&z=19&t=h&hl=en]Google map showing where we run from, on the left side.[/link]

Cheers, Danny.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:10 AM
nvs motorsports

I think there should discussion on allowable length that is why i have posted this on here so we can all put our heads together see what boats are available what sizes they are an availabilty of boats
If we all agree that 45 inch min an 60 inch max length then we need to come up with nose to transom length would not be a good idea to use a formula for wetted surface measurement it become a grey area an subject to argument
Perhaps we take measurement at waterline on transom to tip of nose of boat i know some of the cats run transom pods to hold hardware but they are not part of wetted planing area so it should not be counted bit like hardware bracket that holds rudder 4 inch behind hull it would not be part of measurement
So in my eyes your boats are legal within 60 inches over hangs past transom are irrelevant as they are not part of mainhull an have no effect on planing surface
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

keep it simple.... say anything 8 ft or less can race.... two strokes 35cc, 4 strokes 50cc or twin 20's when they come online.
two classes that run together ... stock/piped ... and run what you brung
maybe run small cards like they do in Europe white for stock class, black for Modded making it easy for ppl on the shore to id boats and close races.

i think what your after is a gentlemans class, much like the Thunderboat's race under today
a group of offshore boats runnin close, lookin scale. sounds like a neat idea

for the starter boat you could rig up a smoke system from a plane easy enuff.

when you see smoke..... you form up behind that boat NOW!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
viperhulls

Too many politics already, what happen to keep it simple, there are offshore rules in place already with the AMPBA. If we use these rules it will make it alot easier for everyone. if you want to run smaller than a 50inch hull just change the first class size of boat and then we have 3 classes to include everyone whether you want to run a 72inch with a KX82 in it like I would run and danny could run his quad cat if he wanted and the guys that want to run zenoahs can without complaining the bigger boats are faster and handle the water better and they can't keep up.
It is not always about who has the big bucks has the better and faster boat some of us just like doing differant things out of the norm. Personally I don't like zenoahs but I don't stop all of you running them even if I could. I'd run a quickdraw any day over a zenoah. In saying that there would be nothing wrong with having a budget class that everyone could get into like run your black jack, venom's and rio 51's it will be great to see but as soon as you put one of these 3 boats mentioned with an australian built boat with a genuine zenoah in it they won't keep up with them and they will get the s**ts with it and you will never see them again. just some thought for everyone to think about. Maybe forget racing and just have fun.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
nvs motorsports

I know not everyone will like this class so rather than change the rules to suit them we dont an they dont run obvious that they already run in other classes
As for the ready to run boat they are not that slow they sit in hi 30mph some guys have got them to 50mph so if run in river not flat lake its the conditions that will determine the speed an driver ability not horespower
And yes a gentlemans type class is a great idea we are not racing for sheep farms
Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
74stroker

i agree with to many politics ,so why couldnt you just call it a social outing and anyone that wants to run can reguardless,the 3 classes is a better idear ,shouldnt it just be about fun ,and getting more people to come and join in
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
munro1656

Maybe forget racing and just have fun.
1 [sm=thumbs_up.gif]vote from me
Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: munro1656

Maybe forget racing and just have fun.
1 [sm=thumbs_up.gif]vote from me
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] from me
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
viperhulls

Why we run at Nudgee is because it is a fun day, you can take what ever boat you want and run the ring of it if you want, there is no politics at all. You will find 99 % of clubs already formed are not interested in off shore as they have their boats set up for flat water and they won't handle running with larger boats and they don't want another class, which is why we try to get people that want to run off shore to come to Nudgee as there where very fue of us in the clubs running off shore and no one to run with unless you wanted to run with flat water boats that do 100k . I am positive that if a fue of you get together down the Gold coast we would be more than happy to come down and run with you guys and you are more than welcome to come to Brisbane and run with us.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
nvs motorsports

Im all for the having fun deal also 100%
But im still of the mind to have fun we either all turn up only in family sedans or turn up only in ferraris equality equals fun
uneven class equals headaches
You want a kid or person that can walk into a shop get a ready to run an go racing or turn with others like him with similar boats that creates the fun atmosphere its no fun when you get there with your RTR an you got big dollar multi engine boats running with you
Be like watching class one race ski boats
IN effect what you have at nudgee viper is great but i can see 2 classes of boats ther an they should be run as 2 classes on the day witha novelty race all in at the end

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.