Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Radio box questions..2.4? switch? other exciting questions , ha ha

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Radio box questions..2.4? switch? other exciting questions , ha ha

Old 12-06-2008, 08:45 PM
foodstick

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radio box questions..2.4? switch? other exciting questions , ha ha

OK, I am getting close to the point I have to make some decisions on the radio.. I have a ground channel I can use, and I also have a 2.4 radio, But I had heard the 2.4 didn't work well when inside the radio box? I'd like to know if thats true or not. I don't suppose a hole for the antenna is any big problem.....but they do add up.

Does the taped down lid work well for the radio box? or do I want to go another route? I already have the basic wood box built in my ZIPPKIT I box

Keep the switch inside the box? and retape each run?

Sure would be alot easier if the lake wasn't so wet !
Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Radio box questions..2.4? switch? other exciting questions , ha ha

It depends on which 2.4 Gig system that you have. Some work well with the antenna inside, some I wouldn't trust any further than I can throw them and I've got a lousy pitching arm!
The tape down hatch works just fine but use good tape. I use the Du-Bro switch mount, it works well.
With Joe's kits I think that I'd replace the wood lid with a clear plastic one. It then allows you to see inside to see if there is any moisture or worse inside.

Funny sig BTW. I hate it when the shoreline is so close to the water! That's why I run into it all the time.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Ron i myself use the futaba fasst system with twin antennas inside the box on my zippkits hydro works great,the lid on the box was a bit flimsy and the tape kept peeling off for some reason.What i did was take some 1/8" clear plexiglass and i cut it same size as the box then i marked out my opening using the orriginal lid as a guide but making the new opening a cpl mm larger all the way round and drilled each corner and cut it out then cleaned it up then i took more plexiglass and cut a lid.Doing this meant i could just glue the surrounding frame to the existing box and if you make the opening a tad bigger all round as i did you can use the rim of the wooden box to hold the lid in place it made the lid much stronger and tape sticks much better to that than it did to the wooden one,i can also see inside the box which gives me piece of mind.For tape i use scotch tape and it seems to work well,i dont have a switch on the lid either its inside the box i just switch her on tape the lid and off she goes.
Mart
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 AM
john crouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not use the new 2.4 radios that are on the market just yet. I have 6 boats, 1 main transmitter and a backup (3pk and 3pks) and a backup reciever for each boat. the cost of changing over would kill me right now. Those who are racing in my district (12) that have gone to 2.4 have had excellant experience with the Futaba FAST radios.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Paul M

IMO -

1) FASST system
2) antenna outside the box (as recomended by Futaba) - put antenna mount on the lid and seal threads with silicone or epoxy
3) hammond radio box
4) Use the dubro switch or the aeromarine radio box plug so that you can remove the plug and turn the radio on and off without retaping.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM
martno1fan

Dont care what futaba recomends theyre bound to air on the safe side all i can say is ive had no issues with mine inside the box and most guys ive spoken to run them the same ,inside the box.
Mart
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
foodstick

Well luckily when I did buy my 2.4 I went with the Futaba fasst system so I have that option or my old ground radio..which I am not using...

Which Dubro switch are you talking about? one of the push pull types? then add a rubber boot seal on the shaft?

Being able to just tape the clear lid down would be handy, for quick inspections and turning it off and on, I will get some quality tape. Also try to make the box surface area for the tape as smooth as possible.

Also I was thinking of making a clear lid for the box, for some reason the thin ply lid that Zippkits uses wasn't in my kit? everything else was, and I have lots of scraps from airplane projects so I will just make a new frame, and the clear lid..

I will have to look at this aeromarine radio box plug, I have heard of using a plug inline as on on off switch..

Ok MARTN I reread it and you are making the outer rim out of plexi as well as the lid, that does make sense ..and should make the tape stick very well ... I may have to splurge and get a new FASSST reciever.... I have a cheap old radio, I may have to post a pic of it for you guys, its custom, and actually the result of a joke !!!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Ron Olson

This little critter here: http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=203/101.0
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 AM
foodstick

OK, thats what I thought it was, I have used it on many airplane projects over the years...I am going to start a new thread with my CUSTOM radio, just for laughs !!!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 AM
foodstick

I am going to have to sit down and decide which combination of suggestions to go with ...I am leaning towards the new Fasst reciever, but OUCH, that will bump the price up. Going to try and get a lid made, and do some other small tweaks on the old boat as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Dont care what futaba recomends
Mart
I love this. The people who designed, manufactured and service the radio say NOT to lay the antenna flat inside the radio box, but hey, what do they know??

The point is this, yes, for some it "may" work. But it is a less than optimal installation and I am unclear why anyone would knowingly install something in a manner that potentially compromises the RF link and counter to the explicit instructions of the manufacturer.

But if it works for you, then I guess it works. But I still see no reason to go counter to what Futaba, or any other radio manufacturer, says to do.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Paul M

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Mart
I love this. The people who designed, manufactured and service the radio say NOT to lay the antenna flat inside the radio box, but hey, what do they know??

The point is this, yes, for some it "may" work. But it is a less than optimal installation and I am unclear why anyone would knowingly install something in a manner that potentially compromises the RF link and counter to the explicit instructions of the manufacturer.

But if it works for you, then I guess it works. But I still see no reason to go counter to what Futaba, or any other radio manufacturer, says to do.

Mart,

You might start caring when your boat runs away and hurts someone When the consequences for losing control of one of these is such as it is, I think we need to do everything possible to push the odds in our favor. People may have gotten away with this quite a bit, but I just don't see any point in taking a chance especially when all we're talking about is 1/16 in hole in your box with a 3 inch length of tubing sticking out. If i had been hurt by an R/C boat, my attorney would absolutely love to hear that the person running it had ignored the factory's instructions.[:-]
Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
MrMikeG

2.4 ghz wave is so small it can easily be blocked. I think Futaba fasst has it right, and the 2 antennas should insure both are not blocked at the same time. Pity all the people who bought the first systems though.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 PM
foodstick

Yeah it wouldn't be too dificult to make a small fuel hose into an antenna tube..I was wondering how a guy could practically get any antenna out of the box when they are so short...

I managed to get my radio box lid and frame cutout of acrylic , and I am making some wood hooks on each side so I CAN RUBBER BAND THE LID DOWN AFTER TAPING IT, MAYBE ITS NOT NEEDED...BUT ITS SIMPLE INSURANCE ...oops hit cap button

Might see if I can get some more done on the tank mount location, I thought of using my weed blower tank just because it came with the unit and its nice clean and new...but it really doesn't look like it lends itself well to mounting anywhere..And I suppose the lower it sits in the boat the better anyhow...will probaly end up with a generic dubro tank in there...
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Ron Olson

Cup hooks are nice if you want the added insurance of rubber-banding the lid down.
Yeah ,those weeide tanks are on the butt-ugly side. I'm sold on the IV bags now but have got a fuel tank that I picked up somewhere that's a nice rectangular one. The Du-Bro's will work as long as you get the gas conversion kit for them.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: foodstick

Yeah it wouldn't be too dificult to make a small fuse hose into an antenna tube..I was wondering how a guy could practically get any antenna out of the box when they are so short...

I managed to get my radio box lid and frame cutout of acrylic , and I am making some wood hooks on each side so I CAN RUBBER BAND THE LID DOWN AFTER TAPING IT, MAYBE ITS NOT NEEDED...BUT ITS SIMPLE INSURANCE ...oops hit cap button

Might see if I can get some more done on the tank mount location, I thought of using my weed blower tank just because it came with the unit and its nice clean and new...but it really doesn't look like it lends itself well to mounting anywhere..And I suppose the lower it sits in the boat the better anyhow...will probaly end up with a generic dubro tank in there...
To get the antenna out of the radio box, velcro the Rx to the lid and drill a small hole next to it to run the antenna out of. This also keeps the Rx above any water that may leak into the radio box.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79699.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1085878  
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
foodstick

Makes good sense to me, is that a small rubber booted on off switch on your lid? That would be nice as long as the boot is new and sealed..
Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 AM
dicko

yes it is a rubber booted switch, they now make the same switch as a water proof unit so the boot isn't needed for the new ones. I haven't bothered to upgrade, I've been running the same rubber boots on several of my boats & I have yet to have one fail & some of them are 4 - 5 years old now.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:51 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Paul M

Mart

Mart,

You might start caring when your boat runs away and hurts someone When the consequences for losing control of one of these is such as it is, I think we need to do everything possible to push the odds in our favor. People may have gotten away with this quite a bit, but I just don't see any point in taking a chance especially when all we're talking about is 1/16 in hole in your box with a 3 inch length of tubing sticking out. If i had been hurt by an R/C boat, my attorney would absolutely love to hear that the person running it had ignored the factory's instructions.[:-]
You do things your way ill do things my way,there are hundreds of people using these fasst systems with the antennas inside the box and havent had any problems in fact ive never heard of one single problem so as i say ill continue to use it that way.
Mart
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: dicko

Yeah it wouldn't be too dificult to make a small fuse hose into an antenna tube..I was wondering how a guy could practically get any antenna out of the box when they are so short...

To get the antenna out of the radio box, velcro the Rx to the lid and drill a small hole next to it to run the antenna out of. This also keeps the Rx above any water that may leak into the radio box.
Thats asuming the boats not upside down in which case its now sat directly in the water that leaked into the box [X(].
Mart
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 AM
martno1fan

OH and by the way Paul as regards safetey tell that to the model boat outlets out there selling rtr packages with AM radios and no failsafe .Also those using Spektrum sets when even the company wont advocate its use on water,email them and ask and see what reply you get.
Mart
Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

You do things your way ill do things my way,there are hundreds of people using these fasst systems with the antennas inside the box and havent had any problems in fact ive never heard of one single problem so as i say ill continue to use it that way.
Mart
Will do. One question, when you were using the "old" frequencies with longer RX antennas did you also run them inside the box? Is the logic for doing so now based on nothing more than 2.4 having a shorter antenna so it is easy to do??

Just curious.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
martno1fan

Mart
Will do. One question, when you were using the "old" frequencies with longer RX antennas did you also run them inside the box? Is the logic for doing so now based on nothing more than 2.4 having a shorter antenna so it is easy to do??

Just curious.

Hi the reason was as i stated the antenna been so short and there also been two i figured less chance of the signal been blocked etc also i was told by several experienced guys from both sides of the pond who were using this system that it worked fine so i tried it and ive had no problems so i see no reason to change it.As i also said ive done plenty of research on the in the box setup and so far havent seen or heard of any problems with it,i know of two guys over here using them inside the box in offshore racing in the sea in very rough water so if there was going to be any issues with signals been lost you would think 2 ft waves would show those up.Theres also lots of guys using them inside the box in heat racing so if it works for them thats good enough for me.
Mart
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
dicko

ORIGINAL: dicko

Thats asuming the boats not upside down in which case its now sat directly in the water that leaked into the box [X(].
Mart
That's just 1 reason to put a few pieces of folded up paper towel into the radio box to soak up any water that does get it there.

I have seen a boat having problems with going into failsafe with the antenna in the box, as soon as he put an antenna external with some of the wire vertical he had no more issues. Personally, I'd put it out.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
martno1fan

Ahh but was it a fasst radio ,never had failsafe kick in on me and i dont think its luck either.Try it yourself then you might believe .Im done now said my bit your all free to do what you like ill do what i know works and leave you guys to do whatever you wanna do.
Mart

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.