Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Prop type on your Rio 51

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Prop type on your Rio 51

Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop type on your Rio 51

I love the stock RIO 51 prop with a stock Zen260 PUM set up but I would like to know if anyone has figured out the best prop for it whether it is a stock zen or any modded engine. I found out that a Prather 275 got me another 5MPH over the stock 2 blade.

I am a basher and do not race but for all those who race the RIO 51, what prop do you use?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 AM
01VIPER27

Default RE: Prop type on your Rio 51

Doesn't anybody race their RIO 51?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:15 AM
nooh

Hi M8.

I don't race my Rio but I find the stock prop is ok for me. Im not into speed just more for fun. You know I put the prop on my Cat and it does very good,, All up its a good prop..

Henry.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 AM
01VIPER27

Oh I hear you as all of my friends are sport boaters as well, except theirs are always passing mine time after time with a stock Zen260PUM in them. There has to be a better prop out there before I spend on engine mods..
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 AM
nooh

Might have to go back through all the post/threads on the Rio m8 and read up on what speed some boaters were getting from different props, I remember some were really great, (stock and Mod motors) sorry but just can't remember which thread they were. Im sure someone will give a clue m8,, good luck..

Henry.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Bbbutch

I don't race either but I would like too! There is next to no body in my area that even runs RC boats.
I run a 2814 ABC 3 blade on a full mod Zen in my RIO for ripping it up around the bouys. I have six 3 blade props both smaller and larger than the 2814 but that baby absolutly rips on my boat.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 AM
01VIPER27

bbbutch,
What kind of speed are you getting on that 2814 3 Blade ABC Prop? Would you mind getting it GPS'd or radar...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Bbbutch

My GPS unit is part of the COG and it's always in there wether I have it switched on or off.
Top speed was 56 MPH with the 2814 ABC. 49 to 50 down the straights and around the bouys. However my course was probably not as large as a "legal" one.
What I like about the 2814 is it rips around the bouys and it does a great top end speed.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
01VIPER27

That's amazing speed. Is your hardware set up all stock, are the trim plates level with the hull, the stinger neutral? I find that the RIO runs so stable with the stock set up and engine that I did not even think to change anything when I upgraded to a stock Zen260PUM. The only real difference I saw was that it is faster with Zen in it.

So I guess I will invest on that 2814 ABC 3 blade for quick speed fix. Is your 2814 ABC 3 blade prop modified in any form or is it stock as it came?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 AM
Bbbutch

The speed isn’t that amazing. I know of at the least a hand full of guys on this forum that runs their RIOs faster than mine. The only edge I have is that I get to run mine almost every weekend and holidays even in the winter. Low 40-degree weather and winds over 12 MPH will make me think twice about going. But if I have something new to try out it's hard to stay home.

Hardware is far from stock. Dump the stock RIO stinger before it cracks and you loose your drive shaft and everything on it. A stocker Zen may not crack it right away but check around the area where the stinger tightens up around the tail shaft. It will crack off of the little hole with a slot. I have a Speedmaster stinger on mine that serves me well.
As far as the angle of the stinger it depends on the water and conditions along with how well I have the COG setup.
I hope that the 2814 prop isn't too much for a stock Zen. Mine is a full mod Zen. The prop hasn't been modified but I have balanced, sharpened and polished it. Always balance your props the best you can. Fewer wobbles equal more speed. Plus you don't shake your boat apart.

I don't run trim tabs. At least at the moment any way.

A fuel bag to replace the gas tank for a lower center of gravity, no foaming, no water gets in the tank when you wreck and you can put the bag in different areas to correct the COG of your boat.

Dual water pickups and exits for engine and exhaust.

I had to replace the transom board with a ¼” thick board after the force of the stinger cracked the original one.

That’s all I can think of right now.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
01VIPER27

I'm quite happy with the stock set up and I am currently switching to a gas bag tonight for a lower CG as well. I realized early in my research that the stinger could break off in so many ways so I did a mod on the internal stinger and posted it on the original RIO thread so others can benefit from it in not loosiing the wholle prop assembly. Some boats run better without trim tabs, I will keep mine on for now. I understand that you have a full mod zen I will do more research on the 2814 prop for now and see where that brings me.