Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

weedie engine choice

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

weedie engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weedie engine choice

I'm new to boating, but not new to playing with weedie engines... I know most of you are going to say (or at least want to) just get a g260 or a RCMK, but I'm on a limited budget (and like tinkering), in fact I'm planning on making my own hardware for the most part. I'm planning on having less in this thing than most people have into their stock engine.

Homelite engines are known for being the most popular, and me having about 5 25cc versions and a single 30cc engine that left me with a small choice between the 25 and 30cc engines. I have much more of a selection than this in my garage, but wanted to stay with something that's been done before for my first...

the 25 is modified, I ported it and removed the bar in the exhaust port, all that's left before putting it back together is pinning the piston ring.

if I went with the 30 I would port it too, this engine isn't in quite as good of shape as the 25cc but a new ring would bring it back to it's prime.

what I want to know is which should I choose? and what prop should I go with? I haven't quite figured out the water props yet (I fly planes and some car stuff). To start off I'm going to use an opened up can muffler and eventually might get a pipe on it...

Thanks!

oh, it's going to go in a 46" fiberglass sport hull, I don't know what it is as I got it used, I have to add my own stringers as it didn't come with them installed which dosen't make sense but oh well...
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: weedie engine choice

Since you already have the 25cc modded I'd use it.Seems like you're on the right track with the modding.I have a full mod 25cc I'm putting in a 54" deep vee hull and it has the piston lightened and golf balled,lightened flywheel and everything balanced,no gasket with a .020 squish,water cooled and has been turned into a full crank engine with 4 bearings and has as a 12.7 venturi carb.I didn't do the work on it,but the guy who did knows how to make a Homelite or any other engine scream.The recommended carb for a Homie is the WA167 with an 11.11 venturi.The 275 prop is a good starting prop for a modded engine,then you can try others to see if you can get a little more out of it .I also have a modded 30cc Ryobi/Homelite and it pushes my crackerbox pretty good,but could use a little more modding.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55507.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1256926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87225.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1256927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85469.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.5 KB