Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

needle help

Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
gtdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needle help

doing some testing, befrore being rudely interrupted by ranger bob, and my needle settings were off. When i cruised around, the boat acted fine, it started up on the second pull, but when i'd open it up all the way, it would cut out and die. I'd imagine the needles are either lean or fat, but not sure which one. There was no bogging sound or anything, it just died. I probably could hav figured this out with a few more runs...
-scott
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM
FlogginHarvey

Default RE: needle help

Mine used to do that and it was a fuel thing...needles were the first thing, but you never know. Lean usually dies, fat usually runs in some way, shape or form, just not well...maybe too lean on the high?

Do you have air in the lines or a leaking bearing??? Maybe a clogged fuel intake or the tank not venting properly??? How long was the fuel sitting? Did you get ethanol-enriched fuel? The Walbro Carb Diaphrams can cause similar issues and ethanol eats them too. I use Ethanol Stabil in every RC Tank I mix up since (just in case) and haven't had any issues since because of that (at least).

Kinda gave you the Third Degree there, eh?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:33 PM
gtdad

ya, new gas and all that jazz.  i was thinking maybe too lean too.  i'll have to sneak out to a different lake and see what i come up with
Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Paul M

Your needles are too lean. I always have an extra carb and some diaphrams with me. Keeps the day being a bust. Also swapping diaphrams or a carb out will help you easily troubleshoot the problem and keep the day fun.

Find out what your needle settings are and adjust in very small increments. My buddy always wants to make huge changes and he is always frustrated by how his boat is running. He finally learned last weekend and was rewarded with a 66 mph pass with his Conquest.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM
rcguy1411

dont forget the air temp are getting cooler more oxigen in the air so we have to fatten up our engines had a boat out on the weekend and to get it to run we opend the hsn needle almost 3/4 of a turn the cooler the temp the more fuel you need
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 AM
benckie

too lean
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try your low-speed needle at 2 turns out and your high-speed at 1 turn out. I've forund out up here for some reason that several of us have had to go at least another 1/8 turn out on the high-speed needle.
MGB has a good article on setting your carb: http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...uretor_Tuning/