Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

What is it Worth??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

What is it Worth??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
V8Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it Worth??

I am thinking about selling my 60" twin Sikk engine Expresscraft Cat. It has a counter rotated engine that has actually been made to run backwards, not just bolted in the boat backwards. It has a beautiful custom paint job that is flawless. The entire boat is like brand new. It has only been run about six times. And it runnssss! Mid 60's on gps! I know that if a company like Bonzi Sports had this for sale, they would be looking for close to $4000.00 I am curious what someone might be willing to pay for this. Any thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47368.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1326482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51570.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1326483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14808.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1326484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46160.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1326485  
Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: What is it Worth??

Right now is kind of a bad time to sell a boat as people are saving and spending money for Christmas. I'd wait another month or so before trying to sell any boat in the price range that yours would go for. The problem is that unless you're a manufacturer, people won't get out of a boat what they've got invested into them. Someone might like what you've got but maybe not the paint job or some other thing.
Twin nitro or gas boats can be 3 times the hassle as one with a single engine. $4,000.00 is really high for a boat with twin Sikk's as the engines are only a little over $200.00 apiece right now. The pipes are Profession Model WTC's and aren't that expensive but not bad for the price.
I don't want it to sound like an insult as I've been there trying to sell part of my fleet but in the real world maybe $1,300.00. Hopefully I'm way wrong. Shipping a boat that size won't be cheap either as you'd be looking easily in the neighborhood of $50.00 minimum, more if you had someone like The UPS Store pack and ship it for you. You can use the RCU Marketplace to post an ad for free and put in it $X,XXX.00 OBO or eBay with a minimum amount or BIN price.

Just a side note. When I was a Mod in here we kind of frowned on threads like this as they would turn into a for sale thread. If anyone wanted to make an offer on this, they'd be better off doing it where the Mod's can't see it, i.e., a PM or e-mail.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
benckie

1100 shipped

sikks on ebay 179 to 200

ive seen the pipes on ebay 55 usd

the hull new is not that expensive.

dont get me wrong its a very very nice boat it will make some one very happy, ive just been looking at whats selling on other forums.

i spent 7500 usd on a monster truck sol it for 3000 usd i thought i was very lucky, it was re sold after with even more money spend on it and it sold for less hardly used and when it was it was used on grass only

it depends on demand and like what ron says x-mass is a bad time to sell, who knows you might get a good offer, i would make an offer but it would cost way to much to ship that to australia around 700 usd and the risk of being damaged
Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Rick,

You cannot sell her yet - I have not seen her carving up the pond!!.

Nows not a great time to be looking for a buyer of an RTR also due in part to the fact that half the country is getting ready for a few months of the cold. Certainly come spring it would be easier to find a more motivated buyer - when someone can buy her and get her wet in short order.

Hard to put a price on her. If you found the right buyer you could see $1500 - 2k from someone who is shopping for a twin and has already had their doors blown off with the $3-5K that a manufacturer may charge them.

If you can wait to sell her - I would recommend it.

I would stick with trying to sell it in the forums - Your going to get nailed with some very ugly fees on e-bay otherwise (though you might sell it easier - something to weigh up I guess).

You have another build in mind or just considering making some room??
Old 12-04-2009, 02:59 PM
PEERPSI

I'm in the market for a new boat, catamaran twin in fact would be preferred. My view on value is zero for paint, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No disrespect to you or your paint job. The point is when some one is thinking or dreaming of building a boat they have their own paint scheme in mind. Your paint job is just more work to the new owner that wants his personal touch.

As for the hardware, 50 to 60% of new depending on condition. All the warrantee is gone as is the fresh part status. The new buyer has no idea what was done with the boat and hardware when it was broken in.

As for time into the build, unless you're buying from a top seed racer hoping to gain from his knowledge it is again like the paint situation. You have one way of doing things while others have their way. There is really not much value there.

Another point is choice of hardware. While to you it seems like all the right pieces to someone else many parts aren't what they would use and are therefore a compromise. Take Matt's Miss Geico for instance. Beautiful paint scheme and well done boat. But the price to play with that, while justifiable to some is not for me. For the price I'd want turbines not gas engines. To each his own.

Sorry, Matt!

Just my opinion good luck with your sale.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
a10hog
My Feedback: (28)

Does anyone know what a NIB MAC 67 is worth? I have one I bought years ago and never put it in a boat.. PM me please... Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17939.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1326943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92644.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1326944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45192.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1326945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84526.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1326946  
Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Ron Olson

I don't do PM's on things like that but your engine is highly collectable right now. I'd say an easy $400.00 but it does appear to be a really old one as the newer ones have blue anodized water jackets. Go to the right site and you could sell it within minutes, seriously. What site, I can't tell you in here, you'd have to PM me!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:31 AM
scott09

Sounds like youhave 3 grand worth of enjoyment in the build and paint which you won't be able to recoup
With video, plenty more picsand lots of questions answered, Iwould be interested butam betting for far too much lessthan you feel it'sworth.
Don't take it personal, just matter of fact is all...like stated above, paint is very subjective and that's just to begin with as then there's the hardware.

Let me know if you really want to sell it now...before Christmas and in this time of winter no-runs
Nice boat, whatdate was it assembled?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
a10hog
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I don't do PM's on things like that but your engine is highly collectable right now. I'd say an easy $400.00 but it does appear to be a really old one as the newer ones have blue anodized water jackets. Go to the right site and you could sell it within minutes, seriously. What site, I can't tell you in here, you'd have to PM me!
Heck I can get the blue anodized water jackets put on there... No just kidding, thanks for the information....
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
V8Rider

Thanks to all that have responded to my question. Now I am more depressed than I started out. Let me respond to a few statements in the order that they came in.
Ron.... I had no intention of this turning into a "for sale" thread. I realize that Christmas is around the corner and something like this would take the back seat for most people at this time of the year. However the market for an item like this should only be targeted to those who can afford an expensive toy and therefore are not affected by the economy or the holiday season. All I was looking for was a few people to be in agreement with what they would pay for something like this IF they were in the market.

Matt.... Don't worry, you will see her run. She isn't going anywhere.

As for the paint and choice of hardware used, you are right. But something like this an individual either likes or they don't. If they like it enough, they might buy it. If they don't, then they just skip past it. There are plenty of people out there that would love to own something like this but don't have the time or ability to build it. And they may not want to spend what a manufacturer would charge to build one for them. I "THOUGHT" that this might fall into the catagory of being worth half of what the big guys get. But I see that isn't the way that it is looked at. No Problem. I don't have a problem keeping her. Thanks to all for your comments.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Ron Olson

I didn't mean to sound like that it would turn into a for sale thread but many times they seem to turn that way. When I was a Mod here I had to watch those types of threads carefully as some people try ot get sneaky instead of just using the Marketplace.
Pricing boats is interesting as Matt and I talked at one time that there isn't a pricing system on RC boats, something that could come in handy not only for items for sale but also for insurance purposes, i.e., fire or theft loss.