Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Will not start

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 AM
navy47
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not start

Im pettery new to gas boating. I have a new venom kos 26 cc engine mad have been trying to start it for (2) days now. IT will not eaven fire. Can anybody help? The 26 kos is a Zen clone I Think.
Thanks for any help.
Tom
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
gtdad

Default RE: Will not start

does your carb have a primer bulb?  if not are you priming the carb by holding your finger over the carb hole and pulling the starter til your finger gets gas on it?
 is your plug firing? try and take your plug out and hook the wire on it and pull your starter so you can look at the plug and see if it is firing.  if it is, maybe the diaphram in your carb is bad.
this could go on and on, but try these things if you haven't already and get back to us if they don't work!!
good luck
Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Dockman

Make sure your needles are set correctly. You can also try giving it a little throttle after you get it primed up.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Set the carb for 2 turns out on the low-speed needle and 1 turn out on the high-speed. Make sure it is getting fuel then like what the others described above. What I do after to get mine to fire is give it half-throttle while pull starting. Check the spark plug to make sure that it's firing. Sometimes it's hard to see in bright light.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Hesco Racing

Firstly show us some pictures of your setup.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
danielplace

Your carb could be either not providing enough fuel or too much keeping it flooded. To first verify the engine is othrewise ready to run. Remove all fuel lines from the carb and remove the plug and put 1/4oz(small shot) in there and another 1/4oz. in the carb with the choke(if you have one)open and throttle open. Leave the fuel lines off reinstall the plug and while holding throttle wide open(everything wide open, no choke either)pull the rope vigoriously till it fires and burns off the fuel that was put in it. That is pretty much step one in troubleshooting process on any engine. Spark(properly timed), compression and correct fuel mixture and it is going to fire 99 times out of 100. If it indeed does fire and burn off the fuel(it might take 6-8 pulls or so till the mixture gets correct and she will fire because the fuel you add always induces a flooded condition till a few pulls with the open throttle bleeds off some fuel. This also wets the ring and cylinder hopefully increasing the compression some to help get her fired promptly.
If that is a success then it is time to get the carburetion correct and soon have her purring along. Not positive what carb they have on there now guessing a 771 but if you try 1 1/2 low and 1 1/2 high most any WT Walbro ill be within running capability and you can tune from there. Make sure you have the line in bottom of tank on carb lower fitting and the return line at the primer bulb(a lot of setups these are both in bottom of tank which is good. Also check that there is a clear vent line or vented cap. Everyone develops their own starting technique which can actually vary engine to engine as you familiarize yourself later with what it likes to start at best but time you aquire that familialarity it is usually best to give one pull at full choke then open it up full throttle and pull till she fires.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow great tips Daniel great post mate .
Mart
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
navy47

Ih Thanks for all the poast. So far I have changed carbs, set the needles and it does pump up gas to the primer, After pulling the starter rope for about 100 times and IT STILL WILL NOT eaven fire. Changed the plug also. I have the fuel line comeing off the bottom of the gas tank going to the bottom of the carb. When I checked the plug it semels like gas but when i ckoked it I did not see any gas come out of the vol stack. Im LOST LOL
Thanks Again for any help.
Tom

Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Paul M

Follow Daniel's instructions to the letter.

You will have to go step by step to trouble shoot this issue.

Keep a cool head and try not to despair and you will solve the problem
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Get rid of that velocity stack as you don't need it. Most will do more harm than good HP wise. It will make it easier to choke also.
Check the gap between the flywheel and the coil. There should only be enough gap to place a business card in there.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:54 AM
benckie

ORIGINAL: navy47

Ih Thanks for all the poast. So far I have changed carbs, set the needles and it does pump up gas to the primer, After pulling the starter rope for about 100 times and IT STILL WILL NOT eaven fire. Changed the plug also. I have the fuel line comeing off the bottom of the gas tank going to the bottom of the carb. When I checked the plug it semels like gas but when i ckoked it I did not see any gas come out of the vol stack. Im LOST LOL
Thanks Again for any help.
Tom

are you pulling the motor to get fuel into the primer ? you press the primmer with you finger a few time to prim the carb and get the fuel up the lines, you dont do this with the pull starter

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
cheesewizz69

Keep calm. Go back and read thru Daniels instructions again. You may also take a few minutes and view Tony's video #8 on starting and tunning http://www.whobbies.com/fullthrottle1.htm

Leo
Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
navy47

I took off the fuel lines and put !/4 oz of tuel in the top of the eng and the carb with chocke open and full thro.
and pulled the stater rope 20 times and it still would not fire. Checked for spark and its loos good, Blue spark.
What can I Try now?
Thanks Tom
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
benckie

if you have followed Daniels instructions with out skipping any thing, it could be a sticky ring it has happedn with some new motors a small cap of oil down the spark plug hole a few pulls plug back in, then they start if you carb is with in tune for a basic start up, it will smoke for 30 seconds then come good if it starts
Old 12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
team esp

I still have the stock motor in my KOS and it probably starts easier than any of my Zens.

Great info here so far, but this is exactly how mine starts:

-remove velocity stack and throw away (or sell on ebay claiming that it adds 1-2hp)

-prime bulb until fuel flows through lines and fills bulb. I give it an extra push after it's full.

-make sure my throttle trim is set a little higher than usual and ensure choke is on.

-give several *short* quick pulls to the starter (I say short because some people have wasted their pull starters on their KOS's by over extending them)

-mine usually starts by pull #2

If that fails I would try:

-remove spark plug and clean (preferably replace)

-reset carb needles as outlined above

-get fresh fuel/oil mix

-try leaving the choke off and trying the other method (place thumb over opening and pull until thumb gets wet)

-inspect exhaust checking for blockages

BTW- once you get it running, make some provisions for the rudder blade to kick up if it needs to. I didn't and now need to reinforce the mount. [:@] <- stupid
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Dockman

Pull the header off and take a look at your piston. Maybe it is scored?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:17 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually once primed i tend to open throttle to 1/4 then one slow pull to draw fuel into motor and then you should hear a pop as it tries to fire if not repeat,when you hear that pop give it one good short hard pull and it should start.Never fails for me anyway.
Mart