Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

my first cat

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

my first cat

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 PM
benckie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first cat

well i got boared waiting for the apache build so i ended up buying this

it came with a hs 645mg for throttle and a hs-705mg 1/4 scale servo for steering, both seam to work well so thats a bonus, it did come with rudder, strut and pipe mount it was removed for shipping.

so i brought the seaducer cat a x-mass gifts from gizmomotors

1 x Baxter 500ML Iv Bag kit complet
2 x Baxter 500ml Gas Bags
1 x In Line Fuel Filter
1 x Aeromarine Stainless Steel round 1/4 Collet (will have to grind 2 fit the rcmk)
1 x Radio Box Tape radioboxtape
1 x SPEEDMASTER THROTTLE ARM
1 x Kwik Fill Fuel Pump kit
1 x Rcmk S-254 EVO ENGINE

and from redlinemotors i brought

1 x 90 qd/redline hot pipe.
1 x 100 degree hot pipe header
1 x water cooled exhust flange to suit

and from ebay.com.au i brought

1 x new venom 1200 mha hump pack

for the prop i spoke to Brent Daily form propwroks west and brought a 6617/3-400c-LL racers edge series prop to try out

for the first run on land to set up the carb i made this up out of old retic parts

the seller forgot to send the engine mounts for it he pulled the motor out and left the mounts on the motor,a couple of days agoi got the tracking number for the engine mounts to be shipped to me for free, but it will take around 2 weeks to get to australia.

this will only be used for fun, not for racing its abit ruff, but its a used cat the bottom looks like its been trued and the motor mounts moved back, im looking forward to getting all the bits here so i can have a play, but ive got a lot of waiting to do, a couple of weeks atlest and mabe more for the prop.

thanks shane

Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 PM
carbonwhite

Default RE: my first cat

no no no don't leve it for fun come and play with us we have a meat this sunday at mandurah.
I'm getting a new conqwuest cat this will be my second one
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 PM
benckie

she wont be ready for a few weeks
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
benckie

well my pipe got here this morning

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 PM
benckie

well i got the motor today

and this is the rest of the order from gizmomotors in the usa.

i got a email saying my props been sent from the usa so a couple of weeks i should have that

Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
rcguy1411

well if you have a couple weeks of waiting then you have time for a repaint make her all nice then go have fun
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
benckie

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

well if you have a couple weeks of waiting then you have time for a repaint make her all nice then go have fun
im to lazy for that, ill cut out some new radio box lids and thats about it, i actualy realy like the green on black look
Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM
danielplace

You realize that collet must be cut down to use on the EVO engine. Seen plenty of people trash there engines because they didn't know.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
gtdad

ORIGINAL: danielplace

You realize that collet must be cut down to use on the EVO engine. Seen plenty of people trash there engines because they didn't know.

what damage is caused by the wrong collet?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
FlogginHarvey

Without a cut-down collet the front of the collett (towards the motor) will drag on the rear bearing seal and cause a leak and possibly a failure.

Use the same collett as the QD's cut the front edge down a few mm so it cannot come into contact with the rear bearing...Bruce at Gizmomotors sells them as well as others...
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
eengler

looks like a nice setup ben, I actually bought an evo too and put it in the 47 inch promise hobbies vee and didn't like the way it ran. I have never been too much of a vee guy, i hate the stinger and trim tabs etc. So, i dropped the evo in my falcon and did 63.1mph last weekend. The evo ran really well so i ordered a new home for it. I ordered a conquest, i will be running the conquest/evo/2inch hanson pipe. Make sure to match the exhaust from the evo to the flange
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
benckie

ORIGINAL: danielplace

Yes i realize the collet must be ground down a few mm, if you read my first post right after where i listed i brought an Aeromarine Stainless Steel round 1/4 Collet in brackets ive put will need to grind to fit.

ORIGINAL: eengler

looks like a nice setup ben, I actually bought an evo too and put it in the 47 inch promise hobbies vee and didn't like the way it ran. I have never been too much of a vee guy, i hate the stinger and trim tabs etc. So, i dropped the evo in my falcon and did 63.1mph last weekend. The evo ran really well so i ordered a new home for it. I ordered a conquest, i will be running the conquest/evo/2inch hanson pipe. Make sure to match the exhaust from the evo to the flange
im realy impressed the the rcmk, i know i have not ran it yet, butits looks tuff and seams to be a good quailty

the redline hot pipe flange i brought with the hot pipe, is pritty dam close to the rcmk exhaust outlet, it just needs a tad taken off it in 2 corners, so im happy about that i thought it might need heaps taken off.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't underestimate that Cat for rough water running as when it's set up right. I saw Chris Rupley's run not only well in the rough but won oval Cat and offshore against mono's.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
benckie

Thanks for the positive feed back Ron.

i did read lots these cats like it ruff, the old owner said it likes ruff water, so i thought it might be a good choice for a first cat since they can handle ruff water.

ive got some patching to do, and i need to expoxy the stuffing tube in again as it was broken off with shipping, no big deal, i just ordered a Futaba R603FS 3-Channel FASST Receiver since i just sold my 50 inch apache that i just got yesterday in the post.

im keen to run it and see how it goes, if i realy like it i might spend a bit more on a stronger motor, and i can buy new seadcuer cat hulls from australian suppiler if i realy like them.

well its all coming along now i should have all the items here with in the next 10 days to get it in the water, i might just need a bell crank for the throttle and im good to go, im hopping with the stock rcmk evo, 6617-400-LL prop and a qd hot pipe with internal stringer this thing will do 50 to 55 mph, i quess time will tell
Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The bell crank is no big deal as it's a Du-Bro part, most hobby shops have them in stock.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 AM
benckie

yeah easy enough to find so no stress, i think the engine mounts that the seller forgot to ship with the boat is comming with a bell crank and a throttle rod, and the cat has a throttle servo and push rod in it already, so ill just sit backa nd wait for the post man.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 AM
viperhulls

Hi Shane, do you know if you are going to need the 100 degree header for the exhaust, if not I will buy it of you if you want to get rid of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 AM
carbonwhite

Hi Shane
What are you doing on the 17th. The guys from mandurah are comming up to south lakes if your cat is up and running it would be good to give it a go.
There is one guy that will be there with a cat just like yours so he might help you with yours.
So if you are up for it they will there about 9 to 9:30am.

Chears Kerry
Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Squidhead Racing

ORIGINAL: carbonwhite

Hi Shane
What are you doing on the 17th. The guys from mandurah are comming up to south lakes if your cat is up and running it would be good to give it a go.
There is one guy that will be there with a cat just like yours so he might help you with yours.

Chears Kerry

Not heading down to Waroona anymore Kerry??

Should have a few boats ready to roll. QDHR powered Gen III insane hydro, at least one gas rigger (possibly two if I get a good run this week) and possibly a new F41 Stryker cat I have had sitting undrilled for about 18mths...........................maybe the baby nitro if I get the time too.

Been a while between drinks thats for sure.

Shane, you should like how the Seadunker cat runs, they go pretty well

Johno
Old 01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
benckie

ORIGINAL: viperhulls

Hi Shane, do you know if you are going to need the 100 degree header for the exhaust, if not I will buy it of you if you want to get rid of it.
Hi Tony.

Ive been meaning to email you, i got the apache, about the header, the cat was set up with a 100 degree header, but seaducersugest a 106 degree header, what i can tell so far is the 100 will work fine and it looks like ill be using it and i have plans for the 90 also, but if it turnes outqa 105 is better ill drop you a email, unless i want to keep a full set of headers for difrent things

ORIGINAL: carbonwhite

Hi Shane

Chears Kerry
Hi Kerry im not sure the cat will be ready, im still waiting on the prop, tac, engine mounts and a coulpe odds and ends all comming from the usa i dont think it will all be in 10 days pluss since im on night shift i only have sundays to do some patch work and put it all together, it might be 3 or 4 weeks off befor i can get it rtr.

Ill might try and make the drive up any way, if its south lakes near armadle its only a 2.5 hour drive from mei might just pop up for a look see, if you get time pm me the details.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM
apache 56

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...,0.040684&z=15

Shane , just in case kerry dosnt get back to you here is the map of where every one runns... berrigan drive. southlakes... under the power lines , at the lake next to fitzy`s lakeside .
turn of the kwinana fwy , left into berrigan drive . then once you see the large over head power lines , it is just up the road to the right.

Kerry and his mates are usually under the lines one the oval side of the lake.... you cant miss it..if you go past the shops and servo you have gone to far.......

great to see your getting all your gear togather for your builds.
gee that apache was a fast one...(as in you dident have it long) , so whats the next build you have after you get the seducer up and runnin. mmmmmmmmmmmm.... maybee big cat twins , quads ,,,,
that cat should go great at your lakes.... im planning a camping trip down that way , soon for a cupple of days to check out the lakes /dams you talked about..(went down to waroona dam and half way to loguebrook dam,for a day... i got lots of info of the camping down there seems to be great places in and around collie....and lots of open water to runn on......

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 AM
benckie

Thanks Mark

yeah the apache was fast i listed it forsale with in an hour of it getting here and it was sold the next morning.

the next project is another cat, but im building this one, still unsure on the motor yet, and since im building it ill keep it simple and go with a single.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: benckie

Thanks Mark

yeah the apache was fast i listed it forsale with in an hour of it getting here and it was sold the next morning.

the next project is another cat, but im building this one, still unsure on the motor yet, and since im building it ill keep it simple and go with a single.

mate you must be happy with that quick sale...
so what cat are you looking into building..... ???[:-]?... theres a cupple to choose from now ...........
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
benckie

im still gathering bits ill let you know once its all happening and on the way
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
magnum57

Congratulations Shane,
Nice addition to your fleet. How is the Bonzi running ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.