Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

gas bag setup

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

gas bag setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
pcg33k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas bag setup

I have just finished putting back together my AM avenger pro and have replaced my gas tank with a gas iv bag. I'm wondering why when I prime the carb no gas is being pulled from bag into carb. I noticed since I replaced the tank that there is no return line to tank. Do I need to have one return to bag? How has everybody else setup the gas iv bag? Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: gas bag setup

You only want one line from the bag to the carb. A return line will only put air into the bag and the bag is best used without ANY air in it.

I prime the carb by choking it (Finger over intake until fuel reaches carb and fuel is present on finger tip).

If fuel is not being drawn into carb when choking it then you either have an issue with the carb (air leak, blockage or similar) or the fuel line connected to the wrong fitting.

Keep in mind that some IV bags (Baxter IV's for one) will need to "condition" before ready to use. Best not done in the boat as they can leak during the process. To condition - 1/2 fill with fuel - remove all air and allow to sit a few days - bag will get very soft (almost jelly like) and weep over the whole bag. You will think you have a bad bag - give it 2-3 days and it will firm up and wont leak again until damaged. Also remember to never store empty and never allow air into the bag - if you do the bag may get brittle and split more easily.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM
GT100
My Feedback: (1)

What kind of carb are you using? I know most of us use either the 257 which is one of the most popular ones or the 644. But neither one of those has a return line. If youre using a bag, I would recommend one of those 2 carbs.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM
pcg33k

The carb I'm using is a 644. When I used to have a plastic fuel tank there is used to be one line that would run to the carb and then one under the carb that would run back to the tank then from the tank out the side of boat. Since I have a 644 carb where does the fuel line attach to if I'm using a bag? The motor in the picture I attached is very similar to the engine I have you can see that on the bottom there is a black nipple and on the top a black nipple. The top one is the one I have always connected the incoming fuel line to and the bottom has always been the return line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99397.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1425940  
Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 PM
tropheus29

If you are holding your finger over the carb inlet and giving the rope a few tugs, and still no gas wets your finger.....something isn't right.

1. the shim/port in the bag isn't positioned all the way into the bag and is not allowing gas to pass through

2. your fuel filter is clogged

3 a kink in the fuel line

4 carb needs to be broken down and the mesh screen under the diaphram is clogged (or a fuel port)

You should only have one line coming from the bag and hooking up to the black inlet at the bottom of the carb. Make sure that you tip the boat forward after filling and purge the air out of the bag before running. If you don't the bubble will eventually make it to the line and cause your engine to cut out during the run.

When starting your finger usually needs to be wet before you get her to crackle.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
pcg33k

Thanks T29, I had my gas line connected to the top I'll break in my gas bag and move the incoming fuel line to the bottom nipple. What's the best way to burp these fuel bags? Once I break in the bag do I need to keep burping the bag every time I refuel the bag?
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
magnum57

I get all the air out of bag by reversing the fuel pump. Hold the boat were the bubble is at the top of the bag and suck the bubble out by reversing the pump. Or just push the bubbles out. I also have sucked the air bubble out. Not recommended. Taste terrible[:'(].....lol

Name:	Ro42043.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1426031  
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Switched to a iv bag. Justaddwater is right. It takes a 2-3 days for the iv bag to conditon itself. I switched to bag set up on my BJ 55 that way it doesn't smell up the house or car. Also second the hand fuel pump, just reverse the pump to draw out any air.

Grinder.

Name:	Ca81354.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1426038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89547.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1426039  
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 AM
pcg33k

magnum57 I have the same gas tank setup so I'll try revering the pump once I've filled the bag with fuel. Do you end up burping it each time the bag is filled?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM
cheesewizz69

Yes the bag must be burpped each time. Unless you are lucky enough to refill it without adding air.

The best way to avoid air in the bag is to stand the boat on its bow and use your pump to draw fuel from the bag into your fueling lines then you can reverse the direction and put fuel back into the bag. This will reduce the amount of air but in most cases you will still have a small air pocket in the bag that needs to be removed.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
pcg33k

What a freaking mess! I smell like a freaking gas station I put some fuel in the iv bag, reversed pumping the fuel in to get the air out and that didn't work so I unplugged the line from gas tank lifted up the bag so the air bubble was at the top and tried pushing it out and got the air out but also got my arm and hands full of gas. I take it that this is not the right way to do it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
dicko

I have a long filler line on my gas bags, I tip the boat nose down so that the lines are at the top of the bag while I fill up with the pump. Once the bag is full I reverse pump any air out, pinch the line closed with a pair of surgical clamps and then reverse pump the remaining fuel out of the pump. I then unplug the line from the filler line to the bag, put the plug in and remove the surgical clamp. No fuel touches my hands. You can also fold the line over and use a clothes peg.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:05 PM
cheesewizz69

LOL[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]No buddy thats not the right way to do it. Hey at least you put the cigarette down.

Sometimes you need to prime the pump first but it should pull the air out regardless.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
pcg33k

Thanks I'll give it another try. [:@]
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
bonowang

Just double confirm. So even you didn't race the boat and store it at home, you also will not empty the bag and no air inside as well.

Regards,
Bono
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 AM
cheesewizz69

Correct. Do not store the bag empty and or with a air bubble.

If you do store it empty the section that is dry will be more prone to cracking.
If you don't run each week check it at least once a week to make sure that the fuel has not expanded the bag.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
amax

Like anything New it will take some Practice to get it right, But it's a much better set up in the end.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
pcg33k

thanks for the encouragement I'll remember that next time I'm covered in gas
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
amax

LMAO,,, I Tried,,

A Bad day on the pond is better than a Good day At Work,,,Right??
Old 04-30-2010, 09:06 PM
pcg33k

Amen to that Amax.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the best place to get new bags? I have one for my easy vee, but it has been stored dry and seems kind of stiff, so I'm not sure if it is still any good. Also, whats the major reason to not use say a Dubro plastis tank, and if you do use a plastic tank, does it have to have a vent of some sort? How do you keep water out of the vent?
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
amax

That's the Answer to your question, Bag Has No Vent, you keep water and air out of the fuel tank. Why you keep water out is obvious, but the reason to keep air out is to prevent Sloshing, which will Foam the fuel and cause air bubbles in your fuel line, this will cause your fuel mixture to Drastically go lean then rich, lean then rich, etc.. causing Major Performance Loss.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: warbirdmustang

Where is the best place to get new bags? I have one for my easy vee, but it has been stored dry and seems kind of stiff, so I'm not sure if it is still any good. Also, whats the major reason to not use say a Dubro plastis tank, and if you do use a plastic tank, does it have to have a vent of some sort? How do you keep water out of the vent?
Thanks,
Bryan

Your LHS (Local Hobby Shop) should carry them. Like you have noted if you store them dry they become brittle. Always try to keep a small amount of fuel in the bag. For the five bucks it cost for a new one I would not mess with the one you have. As for the hard tanks I have used them for years and there are many folks that still use them. If you do use them they must be vented and a one way valve will help keep water out.

I am not going to get into which one is better bags or tanks. Just pick the one that works best for your application.

Leo
Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Tropheus30

3 things:

1 DO NOT SUCK THE AIR BUBBLE OUT WITH YOUR MOUTH! I cannot believe someone did that

2. All IV Bags transpire when you first fill them with gas. Most boaters (Atleast those that like to keep the hull clean) will hang or set the bag with 1/4 bag full of gas in it for a few days to let it sweat. Then empty and go have fun.

3. All bags will take on an air bubble after a couple days of sitting with gas. Nothing you can do about it and it's no big deal. Leave the bag 1/8 full of gas in it to store until your next run. Keep it from hardening and cracking. After a seaon, fill it up with alcohol and let it set for 3-4 days, empty, hang and stare at it till the weather warms up again. Unless, you live in a place like Florida...Lucky.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
warbirdmustang
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll check with my LHS, but I don't remember ever seeing them there. Is there anywhere on line that caters to boaters? I googled Baxter bags, but didn't come up with anything that looked like somewhere I could order one.
Thanks for the advise,
Bryan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.