Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

using camp fuel

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

using camp fuel

Old 05-13-2010, 12:48 AM
turborich
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using camp fuel

Hey guys, I searched it & found quite a bit, but I need a couple of specifics answered. I don't have a performance boat, I have an old Prather Fun Cruiser with the 30cc Homelite engine. Can I use coleman fuel in it? Do I mix it the same as gasoline? Right now I'm using Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed 40:1 just like I use in my regular weed eater. Do I mix it the same for camp fuel & is it OK to run in the Homelite? The smell of the gasoline really stinks my truck up!

Thanks, Rich

Old 05-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Justaddwata

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: using camp fuel

Rich - answer is YES

ORIGINAL: turborich

Hey guys, I searched it & found quite a bit, but I need a couple of specifics answered. I don't have a performance boat, I have an old Prather Fun Cruiser with the 30cc Homelite engine. Can I use coleman fuel in it? YES Do I mix it the same as gasoline? YES Right now I'm using Poulan synthetic 2 stroke oil mixed 40:1 just like I use in my regular weed eater. Do I mix it the same for camp fuel & is it OK to run in the Homelite? YES The smell of the gasoline really stinks my truck up! YES

Thanks, Rich

I personally run more oil with my boat - but I run more in my weedeater too
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
turborich

Thank you! I will be getting some camp fuel today & will try it out. Maybe I will run just a little more oil.

Thanks, Rich
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM
martno1fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most run 8 oz to a gallon of fuel or 16-1 ratio,for your weedy try 20-1 in a boat it will thank you for it.Cutting weeds doesnt work the motor half as hard as spinning a prop under constant load.
Mart
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 PM
turborich

I picked up a gallon of coleman at walmart today for $9 bucks. I mixed it at 25:1 & fired it up, she sounded just fine & reved just as normal. If the winds are decent tomorrow then I'll be at the lake after work & see how she does on the water.

That camp fuel used to be a couple of bucks a gallon, the price really went up!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what we use with Amsoil except at $17.50 a gal here in Northern Canada LOL 9 is a bargain ..........
Old 05-15-2010, 02:56 AM
turborich

OK guys, I took it out today & she ran great!  I ran it for quite a while & when I brought it in I checked the engine temp with my infrared thermometer, The temp at the cylinder head was 257 degrees. Is this too hot for an air cooled 2 stroke? I'm not really sure what temp it should run at. If it is too hot then what would a good temp be & how would I go about it?

The engine is a 2 stroke homelite 30cc in a prather fun cruiser 46" boat.

Thanks, Rich
Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah I am curious about temps too. I am buying a WHH kit when I get back from this god forsaken deployment. I can tue a nitro, but I have never tuned a gasser....Tune to temp in a gasser?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Ron Olson

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris, these aren't like the nitro burners, set the carb and you'll rarely have to mess with it again. I prefer to use regular gas first as the campstove fuel burns so clean that it's hard to get a good plug reading.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 PM
FE_Chris

Thanks Ron. I guess with nitro's I can here and temp the tune. I know exactly how to tune a nitro. No problems. It's just I have no idea on tuning one of these. Out of the two gas boats I have ever had, I never had to touch the needles. At the same time, I always thought both could have been tuned to run with some more power, it's just I don't know what to look for. Reading through the forums it looks like most check the spark plug and tune that way. Wet plug, it's rich, lean it. Black plug, lean, richen it. Brown plug and motor running good leave it. Beyond that I don't know.....

And HEY RON!!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Scott Schneider

Air cooled running under 350* or less is just fine so long as mixture is correct
Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

In My Fatsrat engines i run maxima 927 castor at 5 ounces to the gallon of camp fuel, the castor oil will flow to hot spots unlike regular oils which will run away from hot spots. camp fuel will run so clean that its pretty hard to get a plug reading but its more forgivable with needle settings
Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
jaredk19

if i where you i would run a better brand for 2 cycle oil. i run the chevron stuff.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

with all due respects
well you aint me..... and not all oils are made for high rpm engines try running an outboard, or sno machine oil and you will fry an engine. i have never put much faith in synthetics for two strokes ... i have never lost an engine due to siezing using castor, even back to the 1973 yahama sc500 single dirt bike they were dropping like flies due to piston siezures, i ran castor based oils and never had a problem.
but thats just me, not you huh
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Ron Olson

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Larry, I guess that he doesn't know who you are!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Justaddwata

I switched to Castor Synthetic blend with white gas - love the smell of it burning if nothing else
Old 05-16-2010, 12:54 PM
amax

where can I get white gas??
Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
idocdave09

ORIGINAL: amax

where can I get white gas??
Camp Fuel is white gas

Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM
turborich

Wal-Mart, it's around $9 bucks a gallon in the camping section.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Tropheus30

I gotta make a strong argument against camp fuel after running it for a full year.

1. It doesn't smell. If the smell of gas gets the wife ticked off, use it, and store your boats inside.
2. You won't have to replace the carb diaphram for a while. The ethanol content in most gas will cause you to replace the diaphram every season. No big deal, but they last longer with camp.
3. It is 3 times as much as gas in price.
4. There are no power gains or decrease in wear components by using it.
5. Some say it causes your engine to run cooler because of the lower octane. I don't buy it after doing tests with both gas and camp fuel using a temp gauge on board to measure the high.

Here is a link with extensive testing. This link is what caused me to go back to the convenience and inexpensive gas route.

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...cles/Gasoline/

It's just not worth it. I do believe in breaking in a new gas engine with marine outboard Quicksilver Mercury 2 stroke and switching to synthetic (Honda HP2) after a gallon. 87 octance from the pump is where I will stay. While I am on the topic, I got into a discussion about oil content with a fellow boater that has been racing for a long time. He swears by 5 oz per gallon. I asked him why so little and he said "cause we ain't running diesel here, and you gotta let gas do what it does. Leave the power in the mix." He's right. Some run 10 oz per gallon which I think is an overkill. Even 9 or 8 0z is probably a waste with sythetic oil. I run 6-7 oz of oil per gallon and have no problems. I actually get a better speed on the gps with 6 as opposed to 10 oz and I get more per bottle of HP2, which isn't cheap.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: turborich

Wal-Mart, it's around $9 bucks a gallon in the camping section.
I wish this stuff was cheap like it used to be..
I wonder if there is anywhere else who carries it?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Tropheus30

I gotta make a strong argument against camp fuel after running it for a full year.

1. It doesn't smell. If the smell of gas gets the wife ticked off, use it, and store your boats inside.
I think to each their own - I wont tell someone not to run gas by any means - but I LOVE having the option for my two strokes that are stored inside. The smell factor is priceless in my book. Last week my powerwasher had a small gas leak after I moved it in the garage - probably a cup full. Wife complained non stop - even said it was carrying through the house. Took a full week to air out. But I could fill the kitchen sink with white gas and she would say nothing.

I look at it/put it this way - if I need fuel she will offer to drive the 10 miles each way past the nearest gas station and pay the $9/gal to buy me white gas.

Also worth noting that white gas does come with a nice metal gas can (not that I need another) - a 1 gal plastic gas can is $6 at walmart last I checked.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
amax

Gotta Keep The Boss Happy Right,,[:-][8D]
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Scott Schneider

Use camp fuel blended 50/50 .... but make No Mistake ... It will fry and screw up larger displacement engines 2 or 4 stroke really quick !!
You absolutely Can Not use it in many applications beyond our weedwacker class engines without major DETONATION damage due to the low octane.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 AM
FE_Chris

Why does the low octane not affect these little two-cycle engines? Seems like it would...........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.