Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Old 08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here kitty kitty kitty...PPB Skater QD25HT build

Hendrick, what measurement are you planning from flange to biggest part of the exhaust cone on this one?
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 PM
FlogginHarvey

Okay...FINALLY have some progress to report on the Skater!!! I had a friend help cut a CF Transom doubler and CF Engine Mounts...that was sanded to fit, scuffed and mounted with Epoxy, hardware on and mounted, steering servo set and mounted, CF rod linkage for steering done and done, found the CG and marked...now the throttle setup and linkage and off to the races!

I would like to have a CF Tank tray (Aeromarine style)...does anyone know if these are avaiable for retail purchase any place???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52783.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1478505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38050.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1478506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61664.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1478507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78563.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	1478508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17580.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	1478509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90896.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	1478510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln10793.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	1478511  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey
What measurement are you planning from flange to biggest part of the exhaust cone on this one?
We will start with a moderate 340mm/13.4" , we could go down to 315mm/12.4" (if needed)

Some pictures of our struggeling with the exhaust set-up .. almost there :-)

Name:	Mk27392.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	1478701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64669.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1478702  
Old 08-05-2010, 09:46 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Trey nice work .. (cool twin above too)...... The MTC is awesome hardware very nice ..... Is the rudder a pull/pull type linkage .......... is there enough room to stand a 1/4 servo up in the PPB box? .

Or can you run the pull / pull type linkage on a servo laying down??? ...... just curious

Very cool

Later Bud
Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Hey Trey nice work .. (cool twin above too) ...... The MTC is awesome hardware very nice ..... Is the rudder a pull/pull type linkage .......... is there enough room to stand a 1/4 servo up in the PPB box? .

Or can you run the pull / pull type linkage on a servo laying down??? ...... just curious

Very cool

Later Bud

Good eyes, Randy. The rudder is a peice that was designed for the CT03/CT04 by MTC and is a Pull-Pull type. However, I have seen some others in Europe use this type with a Push-Pull onesided actuator and that is the way I will be doing it here. I am using a 1/4 scale servo laid down on it's side and I have really grown to like the CF Rod and Titatnium rod ends...easy to run and easy to make...with the smaller boxes, the only way to do a pull-pull is with two standard size servos and didn't want that much "stuff" in the radio box on this one. A single, hi-torque, 1/4 scaler will be more than fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:39 PM
rcguy1411

great build any ideas on the paint
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Very good ideas ... as usual...... Trey

Might be painting Drambuie on weekend ....... candy apple orange ....... key lime tips and scoop ........ black bottom ................ might be cool ....... might be ugly ....... I'll find out soon I guess .......... Jimmy made me some awesome Graphics

later M8
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
FlogginHarvey

Randy, how did the paint turn out on the Drambuie??? Looking forward to seeing the finished product as I am sure you re too!

Made some time last night to work on solder and shrink-wrap and WALLAH the radio box is dialed in. Just gotta get the the servo rod holes finshed and radio box seals dialed. MAN-O-MAN...it was HOT in the garage with my face over the soldering iron!

1/4 Scale steering, standard size throttle, Isamtec kill switch, and Futaba FASST...

Name:	Fd92298.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	1483304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57504.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	1483305  
Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
FlogginHarvey

Spent some mroe time in the garage on the Skater. Got all the vents and NACA ducts cut out and filed and drilled the hole for the stuffing tube. I hope to have it set up and epoxied in place tonight if the wife lets me sneak in the garage for a few more minutes...she's getting there.

Won't have the paint finished for the shootout next week...still waiting on graphics.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
rcguy1411

hey make shure you take lots of pic s at the shootout that thing should fly with the qd in her if you need to get time in 5he shop send the wife shopping but send her with the card that is maxed out lol
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: rcguy1411

hey make shure you take lots of pic s at the shootout that thing should fly with the qd in her if you need to get time in 5he shop send the wife shopping but send her with the card that is maxed out lol

THAT is funny!!! LOL.

We hope to at the Shootout...I need to get a run or two in prior for fine tuning and prop selection and REALLY running out of time!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
rcguy1411

think most of the guy s here will but if one of our wives see it im dead and if they ever find out that any of us laughed we are all dead and our hobby funds will become a shoe fund lol hope you do well at the shootout would kill to see tom s boats run your Budwieser boat looks awsome as well cool build
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
FlogginHarvey

think most of the guy s here will but if one of our wives see it im dead and if they ever find out that any of us laughed we are all dead and our hobby funds will become a shoe fund lol hope you do well at the shootout would kill to see tom s boats run your Budwieser boat looks awsome as well cool build

ALL TRUE...SO true! My hobby funds are fast becoming diaper funds...our first is due December 22nd!!!

Thanks for the Comps on the Bud Boat I am SO excited to see it on the water. I think it is safe to say these are the last couple of RC Builds for QUITE some time... At least I will have plenty of time now to fine tune and test these boats to DEATH!

We plan on getting video of the shootout runs and will post some youtube links shortly following the event.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
rcguy1411

dipper funds true but now you have bithdaypresents and christmas never to soon to get them started i got my little girl a rc car best of everything when she runs it its a pink mini when i run it its a HEMI cuda she doesent like my trucks so i tolf the gf that i had to get it for her cause she wanted to come with me all the time to the park so while i charge the batteries she goes on the swing and i bash my truck and we have a new toy LOL
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM
FlogginHarvey

dipper funds true but now you have bithdaypresents and christmas never to soon to get them started i got my little girl a rc car best of everything when she runs it its a pink mini when i run it its a HEMI cuda she doesent like my trucks so i tolf the gf that i had to get it for her cause she wanted to come with me all the time to the park so while i charge the batteries she goes on the swing and i bash my truck and we have a new toy LOL
You are a GENIOUS! That is how my wife "got" a Dumas Scarab KAAMA!!! Too funy. we are all the same, yes?! Diabolical.

So, after a little ribbing from the wife I snuck into the garag last night for just long enough to get the stuffing tube lined up and liner glassed into the hull. Man, PPB makes that a peice of cake with the mold work under the tunnel. THANKS PAUL!

This being my first cat, am I "supposed" to loctite or solder the brass stuffing tube into the front of the strut to keep it sealed up? I can't belive I have never looked at that detail on another cat. Too funny. Love the hobby, learn something new literally every day!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
rcguy1411

not shure what is the standared today but when i built my Dumas Skater 67 with an inboard K&B .67 in the 1988 the flex shaft tube was cut just in ftont of the strut
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
FlogginHarvey

not shure what is the standared today but when i built my Dumas Skater 67 with an inboard K&B .67 in the 1988 the flex shaft tube was cut just in ftont of the strut
Cool, thanks for the post! I am not super sure on the MTC stuff...learning learning learning...
Old 08-27-2010, 12:20 PM
FlogginHarvey

Okay, have some updates from rigging and the Shootout here at the Lake on Wednesday. Got the boat built just in time but didn't make enough time for test/tune on this one either...man, the eleventh hour gets SHORT!

Anyway, for those building make sure you mind the pipe heighth. I wasn't watching close enough and put the outlet too low on the transom and it kicked the frount up on the DeepVee turn and now the deck sin't fitting. Easy fix, having Mike Sr. at Redline custom make a header for to drop down and bring it out a touch more.

Anyways, with no needle adjustments and the carb REALLY rich I ran a 46 at the Shootout (I was off on the fastest single cat by 10MPH) with a 6516-3.

We spent about thirty minutes playing around and leaning her out and bringing the strut down a bit, screwed on a 6717-3 413 and got a 52.8 on the GPS...just before I shut it down to bring it in I lost the stub shaft, flex and that nice little 6717-3! kInd of a good news/bad news ordeal but we are getting there!!!

Name:	Bz78165.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	1491048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18828.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1491049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36306.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1491050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90883.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	1491051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25824.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	1491052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71361.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1491053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uw42262.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1491054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk34472.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1491055  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw38746.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1491056  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:44 PM
HendricX

just before I shut it down to bring it in I lost the stub shaft, flex and that nice little 6717-3!

You have to be a real moron [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Please explain how you can loose your shaft , when you have MTC hardware on it ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. you did forget to tighten the safety-screw , AND did not use the MHZ shaft-saver. [sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM
rcguy1411

glad to see you had a good time at the race with a little tunning you lll see 60 to bad about the prop and shaft things get missed when you r in a rush to get on the water cant wait to see some pic from the race keep us upto date on the 60 mph goal [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HendricX

just before I shut it down to bring it in I lost the stub shaft, flex and that nice little 6717-3!

Please explain how you can loose your shaft , when you have MTC hardware on it ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. you did forget to tighten the safety-screw , AND did not use the MHZ shaft-saver. [sm=thumbs_down.gif]
I bet your double checking yours after that statement from now on HendricX lol .
Trey shes looking great buddy very nice work as allways.What thickness Carbon sheet did you use for the engine mounts?.Ive been toying with the idea of making some glass rails for my hulls for a while,wont be carbon unless someones willing to pay for it .
Mart
Old 08-28-2010, 09:27 AM
FlogginHarvey

Thank you, Hendrick. THAT is a fun compliment! Well, we had a redundancy one on the MTC Drive and the second on the MHZ Shaft saver. So, we took off the shaft saver to see if Flex Shaft shrinkage was choking motor down...the answer was no but we did think we were safe with the drive saver. I checked it last night when I got home after your good ribbing (which I agree I should take with a smile ) and the screw is still in it's home on the left side of the drive where it should be. I am wondering if it broke off?

Anyway, it's like running out of fuel with a crowd which I also did when the local cable company was was filming the Mystic on Wednesday at the Shootout. That was equally embarrassing! ;D 250 spectators and a super video camera and it just died about 200 yards off the dock. Nice work!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
FlogginHarvey

glad to see you had a good time at the race with a little tunning you lll see 60 to bad about the prop and shaft things get missed when you r in a rush to get on the water cant wait to see some pic from the race keep us upto date on the 60 mph goal [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Absolutely. There was acutally a professional photographer there to take shots. I need to get his web addy and post a link.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

I bet your double checking yours after that statement from now on HendricX lol .
Trey shes looking great buddy very nice work as allways.What thickness Carbon sheet did you use for the engine mounts?.Ive been toying with the idea of making some glass rails for my hulls for a while,wont be carbon unless someones willing to pay for it .
Mart

You are exactly right there, MArt. TRIPPLE checking. Thanks for the kudos. It is 4mm CF plate from FullForceRC.com. The used to have 5 & 6mm but I could not find it on the site anymore. Easy to work with. Just scuff the edge to be glassed and seal the cut edge with thin CA and they are ready to go.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM
FlogginHarvey

Finally got it together and the hatch fit and running...had some time to play around with props and strut setting on Monday this week.

running a 2716-2 with some barr cut we got 60.6MPH showing...but it was a little loose with some jetski wakes rolling through to keep things INTERESTING to say the least. When blow-overs happen it is like slo-mo and not a DARN thing you can do but kill the motor and hope for the best!

Here is a quick video...ran ut of space on the memory card! too many other boats running with footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MII4izO8Y

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.