Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

opinions please, should i get this?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

opinions please, should i get this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions please, should i get this?

i found this online, whats your opinions of it? thanks

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/1777860323.html
Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM
dicko

Default RE: opinions please, should i get this?

I couldn't see a price on it. It won't break any speed records, but could be a fun muck around boat for someone entering the boating scene if the price was right.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM
gtdad

It will be slow and sluggish....how much are they asking for it? That's the real decision maker....
Old 06-17-2010, 09:20 PM
diabolic-mind

well it said reduced price, and before he posted that he was reducing the price he wanted 200, so he is asking less than that for it now. im waiting for a reply on the exact amount. if i were to get it and decided to pull the weed wacker motor out what would the stock motor to use in it be? and how fast would it be with its stock setup? thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Going to depend on what you want to do. As mentioned - it wont be the fastest boat at the pond - these setups have been around for probably 20 years or more. The big homelite is pretty reliable though significantly heavier than what the same hull is powered with today (zenoahs). Boat will probably run mid 30's - possibly more.

If your after a fun social boat and can pick it up for a reasonable price then it is worthy of consideration. Seller probably has $700-900 in it if purchased new. But I think you can pick these up in good condition for around $500 (with a decent radio) or so (and not really bargains at that). There are many better sport boats on the market and they can be picked up for around $500 or so.

the fact that this boat is near to you (I am assuming) is certainly a plus - you have the opportunity to see it and hear it run. You save on shipping a boat (can run $50 - $80 for a boat that size).

The boat is upgradable - a zenoah or RCMK motor will liven her up considerably (be faster and more maneuverable) and would set you back around $300 when ready.

The hulls are tough, the hardware basic, the motor, heavy slow and reliable. The wont break any records but wont break the bank either. Not the best starter boat but if it has been looked after it will serve you well for a few years while you get your bearings for what you want next.

I would recommend taking a look at warehouse hobbies (Whobbies.com) who make great sport boats. Very reliable and they have boats like the Super G that are very reasonably priced and a blast to drive. Not pushing warehouse hobbies - but in my mind they are tough to beat for anyone looking for a fun reliable sport boat at a realistic price.

By all means let us know any further questions you may have
Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Justaddwata

we crossed messages

For under $200 it is a very decent price. you wont find them for less. Looks like it should work as is and I would recommend running it before pulling it apart to install another motor. retrofitting a zenoah or RCMK will probably cost you around $300 - $400 depending on what options you pick (pipe, mounts, clutch etc).

Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 PM
diabolic-mind

awsome info guys, when i hear back about a price i will let you know. ive been looking at boats for awhile now. ive went back and forth between electric and nitro. when i seen this and the size of it i got goosebumps lol. im more of a fan of micro sized rc's but then again with a boat this size it has more of a significant feel to it, and im sure it would turn some heads too
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 PM
rcguy1411

if you get it for under $200 then it isnt a bad first boat as long as it runs make shure it has at least a FM radio or your asking for trouble AM radio s and Gas engines don t mix get them to fire it if you can
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not really a bad buy for around $200.00 as the Prather Fun Cruiser's went for somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00 when new.
One thing that I'd definitely change is to dump the Airtronics Blazer radio system as it was the bottom-of-the-line AM radio. Pick up a low-cost FM system from Futaba or Hitec.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 AM
diabolic-mind

i was considering upgrading it to a dsm radio. i use dsm radios for my micro planes and i love the no interference aspect of it.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Cope44

A guy I run with has one. I recentely rebuilt it. In these picks is has a mod Zenoah. It has been running with a new 28.5cc zen form giz motors and it is a ROCKET. Tracks great, bashes waves like no ones business and has lasted 20 years doing it. That should say something in it's self.

Oh yeah I pulled the Holelite repainted it and now it's in another prather hull, tooling around mid 30's I would guess?
Heres some picks of the holelite in action.

I'll say I'm quite impressed with the Prather Funcruzer hull and the homelite. How manny Zens are still running 20+ years later?

The homelite fires EVERY time (How this for a fun fact, The homelite had the orignal sparkplug in it untill I dropped the motor switching boats and broke the plug), As stated before not the fastest boat but reliable as all get out. .
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was curious of the price and called the number in the add and the guy that answered must not have been the owner,because he said he thinks the owner wants around $800 for it .I have a Prather catalog and the Fun Cruiser RTR with the Homelite was $1099.95 and without the radio $949.95.Seem a little high priced for their time.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
diabolic-mind

wel the ad said just reduced meaning he wa lowering the price, i looked through and a recent ad that he had posted with the exact same boat and settup was 200, so he must be asking less than that for it. ive called several times with no luck getting through. but if he is looking to get 800 that is way way way out of my price range and im gonna have to pass on it. im still browsing boats though. im liking some of the electrics out there, they are wicked fast but i like the idea of gas as if i want longer run times all i need is a bigger gas tank lol. thanks for all your info though guys it is much appreciated
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: Tidnab

I was curious of the price and called the number in the add and the guy that answered must not have been the owner,because he said he thinks the owner wants around $800 for it .I have a Prather catalog and the Fun Cruiser RTR with the Homelite was $1099.95 and without the radio $949.95.Seem a little high priced for their time.
Is there a date anywhere on that catalog? I know it was not all that long ago when they were using Homelites (may still be an option for all I know).
Old 06-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The catalogs price list has "Revised June 2003" on the bottom,so it wasn't that long ago.Prather was the reason I got into r/c boats,after ordering their catalog,which came with a video of a couple of their boats on the water.I didn't get one of their boats,but found a new box damaged Shockwave 55 in Horizon Hobbies attic area and got it.You can still get some of Prather's hulls at http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/index.html
Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Gas boats were expensive back when they first came out. I've got some old RCMB magazines that show how pricy a Homelite was and Zenoah 231's were. It was unbelievable how much boaters would dish out for the same thing they could have gotten in just about any gardening dept. of big chain stores minus the shaft. Wait, they did get the shaft! [sm=lol.gif]
The one in the Craigslist ad isn't the original but a newer engine.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 AM
brodjack

Heres a video of a mates prather a few yrs back,nice hulls.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ady4488#p/u/47/LWDTtdITvQM
Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
apache 1

I paid around $400 for my 30cc homelite years ago when zens for boats were the new thing. No regrets, its been a great engine. I'm only pulling it out now cuz I've got to keep up with my buddys new boat. Yeah its got a zen in it.