Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 PM
exotica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***My first 46 Custom Gasser with PICS and VIDS***

...what should the length be from the exhaust port to the middle of a two inch band pipe?
I read that approx 13" is where it should be? Is this right?
Strut depth also to be approx 1 9/16 inch from the bottom of the rear sponsons?
From how it went over the weekend, I believe I should be first now looking at the following to tune...

USE THE RIGHT PROP i have a 6717/3 prop coming
LOWER THE STRUT a little more.
GIVE THE STRUT / PROP SHAFT a little negative angle

...all Hydro maniacs please chime in with suggestions and comments. Ide, love to see this boat reach at least 45mph.
This is the goal so how am I now going to get there with a stock Zen G260 with a Stock Walbro 257, or am I dreaming?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You strut sounds too low to me can you post a pic with the boat sideways on ?,.Strut depth might need to try level with sponsons or just below not sure how deep yours are but the boat needs to be riding on the prop not the sponsons.
Pipe length will depend on motor if its stock your not far away,mine was a full mod at 11 1/2" .You will need to experiment with it and see where is best for your setup.
Mart
Heres a thread might be of interest
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8360535
some more
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4900779/tm.htm
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 AM
exotica

...thanks Mart. Yes the Zen is stock. Ill try that next time im out on the pond with the 6717/3 prop.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hydros can be tricky to setup but once you find the sweet spot you will see a night and day diference in performance.Try launching with some revs and give it a forward launch to help it get on plane and that will also help.
Mart
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
exotica

...a pic of her first day out in the sun...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM
exotica

Mart, im now in the process of removing the clutch as most dont run one and believe it should give me a little more power
once the motor is run it properly. Im also going to change the drive train, increasing the length of the flex cable and removing
the round collet and only using the square drive. Im also going to install the ferrule on the flex cable. Im going to remove the
3/16th prop shaft and replace that with a 1/4inch one.

Ive also slightly modified the strut giving me the ability for more adjustment if required. Ill post up some pics and vids once
I have completed the changes. Im now just waiting on a few parts and my new 6717/3 prop which no doubt should make a
real difference on the water.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:44 PM
exotica

...well more work has ben carried out. The autobailers have been installed and the clutch removed.
The drive train has been completely changed to 1/4inch all the way through including the prop shaft,
with a square type ferrule and square engine collet.I have also installed a turn fin which I now need to
set up so any help here will be greatly appreciated. The turn fin is curved and sharpened and approx
90mm in length. New 6717/3 prop has also been installed and I will be also changing my fuel/oil ratio
as im clearly not running enough oil at 25:1 metric. Ill be moving to 20:1 metric on her next run. Another
change has been the removal of the generic flange andthe addition of a proper header pipe and manifold
watercooled flange.

More pictures will be posted shortly with more videos to come next time she get wet.

What depth should the turn fin run at approx and at what angle so I have starting point?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
exotica

...well yesterday bought a VERY big smile to my face. After getting my Zen modded by Ken Retallick here in Melbourne and a Ken Retallick custom pipe let me tell you there was serious change to the attitude of the boat, lol. I installed the turn fin, prop was also prepared by Ken so it was time to take her out again and get her wet. Cold, rainy day, strong wind, chopbut that didnt stop my friend and me. Well after about two hours running, tuning, retreiving and one dunk, the desired result I was after had been smashed!! I set out to create a genuine 40-45mph chinese gasser (which weighs in at 19 pounds no fuelmind you) and a few laughed.

Well now you can go and laugh at yourselves. This hull ran an 87kph (55mph) pass running into the wind and I had to kill the engine approx5 seconds after it came on pipe due to my RX batt starting to fail me and a very fast approaching bank!!! As it turned out, it ended up running up the bank on the other side of the lake, no damage. Let me tell you I had a grin from ear to ear after the initial scare in my pants . I have no doubt that it might have done 60+mph had I have not killed (shut down) the engine as it was just gaining speed and momentum.I cant wait now to get it on the water under better conditions for some more testing and tuning as I need to increase the pipe length so she gets on pipe quicker. It was to wet and rainy for a video camera, but next time for sure!!!

A big thank you to Ken for working his magic on this motor and the others who have chimed in with help, info and suggestions.

Im now thinking just how fast this motor and pipe may run in a real serious cat which would weigh a hell of a lot less im looking for my next build already....lol ADDICTED!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

EXOTICA,.................awesome looking boat! great choice of colors...........she has a nice clean look with the right amount of simple detail. not to sure about the alpine stereo sticker but thats just me. lol ............good luck
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 AM
ricmcm

Cant wait to try mine after watching your awesome run!!!!
Cheers,
Richo
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 AM
exotica

....hey Richo what was the look on both our faces mate when she came on pipe?????? wont be long, ive got yours ready to go also just waitin on the new header for it.