Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

looking for a new cat hull

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

looking for a new cat hull

Old 08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
cat samich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a new cat hull

id like a hull almost this exact shape but large enough for twin gas. ive seen them around in other threads but for the life of me cant remember a manufacturer. im looking in the 50 to 60 inch range. i want to run the drives out of the sponsons instead of the tunnel

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...bt0401001_code
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: looking for a new cat hull

This is close: http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=56
Old 08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

thats close but i would like that overhang in the back that would accommodate mounting the arnesons

drives like this

http://www.mhzusa.com/Trimax-for-Kiton-m-1727-KA.htm
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 AM
TopSecretBoats

Maybe this one will work for you?

Link=[link=http://topsecretboats.com/inc/sdetail/6965]Super Cat[/link]
Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: TopSecretBoats

thats pretty much what i had in mind, will two rcmk's fit under the hatch?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
TopSecretBoats

Not to sure> I have to give it a try.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
mistycreekboats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expresscraft makes several that will fit twins at a reasonable price http://www.expresscraft.com/mticat.htm

to run drives like you want usually big $$$ like and usually around 60" ............. a normal strut like Speed MAster will drop $$$$ lots and allow you to run them and tune them way easier to set up and build

MHZCt03 / Mystic
HPI CT04 / Mystic are a couple like you want to do but these are also 3 or 4 times the price of a Expresscraft

there isa few MTI twins on here if you do a search and run awesome and look very cool ......... u can run twins in a lot of boats ... but weight distribution becomes a issue with many so handling goes to ............

Good Luck with your quest

Cheers

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
mistycreekboats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TopSecretBoats

Bill

Hi Mate - as a note I have put twins in couple Super Cats with clutches ...........so I'm pretty sure I could stuff a set in the hull you make ..... may need to 'tilt' them but with the width you have and opening I'm sure you can fit them

I even stuffed a set in a 50" (16" wide) ................. send me one I'll fit it for ya and sent it back .......................... LOL

Cheers
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Serpents Den

hey all...right now i am a bit torn as well.I'm planning to start up a gasser cat this winter and already planning to use an RCMK powerplant for it. right now i'm torn between a few boats. I've always wanted a Sprint Cat since the first time i've read and seen one run, an F1 Stryker, an AC R42....those 3 have a nice aggressive feel just looking at them, and i also like the scale-likelooks of the Expresscraft thunderbolt and Top Secret Boats Gen2 Super Cat.....For the most part, its going to be a fun boat (blowing away my brother's MVD on the pond, spraying him with the rooster tail on high speed passes, etc).... either way i wanna be able to blast down the straights with raw power and speed, and quite often just running around the pond on those 'lazy Sunday' afternoons when im just there trying to relax. It doesnt mean i may never race the boat. there's always the possibility that I will also, now that there are a few new aquaintances i have,that 'do'....So that out of the way, if Bill at TSB or anyone else has some vids of the Super Cat, or any more good ones of the Thunderbolt and R42, i'd greatly appreciate it (Utube has plenty of sprint cat and F1 vids)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:57 PM
illiniboater

If your thinking that you may race this boat down the road I would not recommend the Thunderbolt. It is a nice scale cat but not a competitive race hull. I can't comment on the new Top Secret boat as I don't know much about it. You can't go wrong with the Sprint, Stryker, or R42. All three of those are proven hulls. You could also look at the Conquest. It is another proven race hull but has a little more scale look to it than the others.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
TopSecretBoats

The Super Cat was the boat to beat from around 2001-2004 and there were allot of races won with that cat. But around 2004 the manufacture kinda let the RC end of his business go to do more lucrative work and we have since the acquired the molds. I raced this boat then and won allot of races but I did see room for improvement so we made some changes and came out with the Gen 2 and now it is even better. We just started to sell the hull a few months ago so Wait and see .It is going to make a overwhelming come back.

I do not have any video of the Super Cat gen.2 but will try to get one soon . First I have to get a video recorder since we lost ours on our last honeymoon. May be one of the new owners of the gen.2 may have a video of it running and they will help us out.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

has any one see or built one of these up and are thay a good fast hull or how do thay runn. seen then on bruces site . but ive never seen any one set one up. seen the vid on one running but the guy runns it that dam slow , it was boring to watch... if it ran well it would be a good hull ...

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Serpents Den

that would be kewl Bill....when i was looking for upgrade parts to my TC31, i spotted the cat on your site and was fascinated with it...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Any boat isn't any better than its setup and the driver. There are some who can make one look bad and others who could make a cement block fly. It's hard to reply on race finishes either as that's pretty much like the first sentence and who or what hull, motor and hardware are used.
I've been in love with the R-42 since I saw one of the first ones out of the mold as there's no denying Andy's hulls in terms of quality all-around. I've got a Falcon 41 and a Drag Cat clone right now. One or both might go one of these days soon if I find one that I just gotta have. I was given a Eddie Barnes Super-Cat which is what Bill's Cat is based on but it had seen much better days so I passed it on to "Josey Wales".
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 AM
Serpents Den

very trueRon,i have seen vids of the thunderbolt 'racing' as well...i was watching some races being held in bermuda, and the driver to beat was racing the thunderbolt....the vids were posted in the gas boat threads....they fly and handle very well in those vids.....