RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   best motor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/11097790-best-motor.html)

rio 51 racer 05-28-2012 03:19 PM

best motor

So i decided to take out the bt28 from my rio 51 what engine do i get and how do i make it go 50++</p>

HendricX 05-28-2012 03:42 PM

RE: best motor

Gizmo Zenoah-260 with 29cc head-kit and stroker-crank , or RCMK K30.

All depends on your wallet :-)

rio 51 racer 05-29-2012 08:32 AM

How much would that cost and is the k30 better than the s254

stevo7896 05-29-2012 05:58 PM

Go to gizmo motors and look around under motors ,you can look at zenoah or rcmk .They are in seperate catagories. under zenoah motors they have a few that are really hopped up ,but I think for the money the k30 would be a good choice.

rio 51 racer 05-29-2012 06:29 PM

So for the money is it worth it and how much would i get for the fuji
so k30&gt;s254

stevo7896 05-29-2012 06:44 PM

I would look on here in classified motor section and see if there is a history of the motor being sold and for how much.I have seen them on here before so you should see something. As for the price of a new motor being worth it , it depends on how fast you want to go. If you want to cruise then a stock zen would be a good bet ,but if your looking for some speed then the k30 is an option. Also another option is going with a stock zen and putting a head kit on it down the road as you grow with the hobby. You can make a stock zen come alive with that . There also the other site JRCBD that has some good deals on used motors .Just deal with someone that has many post so you have a better chance at quality stuff .The guys over there try to weed out some

Scott Schneider 05-30-2012 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: rio 51 racer

So for the money is it worth it and how much would i get for the fuji
so k30>s254
Sadly that Fuji is not worth much more that what a cheap paper weight is worth [:o] ...... Worth something to someone as a spare or for parts.
Those who are in the hobby a short time quickly realize OTHER engines are where the performance and reliability lie.

Just sayin ...

Ron Olson 05-30-2012 07:41 AM

It's not just the motor that needs replacing but just about everything else. The driveline is a poor design which can barely handle the Fuji much less a motor that puts out decent power. Replaced any flex cables lately?
An RCMK S-254 Evo will get you over 50 with the right setup.

rio 51 racer 05-30-2012 08:27 AM

Yes i replace the flex cables from time to time so i also need a driveshaft?? Which ones best??

Ron Olson 05-30-2012 08:33 AM

If I could find an easy cure for the flex cable problems I'd let you know. It's a unique setup but the only good thing about it is that when the cable and propshaft fall apart, you won't lose the prop.

rio 51 racer 05-30-2012 12:51 PM

So
k 30 motor
mounts
I was looking at the torquemaster pipe
A clutch
water pump
misc
As for a driveline i was looking at the m&amp;d drive any thoughts???

Scott Schneider 05-30-2012 01:07 PM

So
k 30 motor
mounts
I was looking at the torquemaster pipe
A clutch
water pump
misc
As for a driveline i was looking at the m&d drive any thoughts???
If your going to RE-RIG the hull to that extent, IMO would be better off selling the whole boat close to a RTR as you can and start with a NEW bare hull of choice and build one up like so many serious R/C boaters do these days.
In the end you may have spent a tad bit more coin, but ending up with a SUBSTANTIALLY better Boat, Hardware & Engine package :D

rio 51 racer 05-30-2012 01:15 PM

As for the fuji as a spare can any mods be made to it? And is a new driveline really nessesery?

Ron Olson 05-30-2012 08:05 PM

That's why I'd like to study the boat more closely. A guy from Battle Creek came over to run with us a couple of times that seems to buy RTR boats that have a lot of issues with them, a gas King of Shaves, a Thunder Tiger .45 nitro mono and outobard tunnel from TT. On the same day the flex cable broke on his Rio 51 and the clutch took a dump in the TT mono.
the Rio 51 isn't a bad hull, it's just the stuff inside that I'd change. I wouldn't put a clutched motor in it as it's more weight and one more thing to go wrong. It would take a lot of work to install it as you'd have to modify the driveline to make room for the clutch.
The Fuji is a dud. I know the designer personally and at first he said that it was just the owners not knowing how to start it. When the "Z" version came out, only then did he admit what a piece of junk the Fuji was.

rio 51 racer 05-31-2012 07:06 AM

Alright no clutch whats better a rmck k30, a rmck s254 evo or a zenoah m5 from enforcer direct?? Will these make me go 50++??</p>

Ron Olson 05-31-2012 07:19 AM

I don't see why not! Remember, it's not all about the engine to get you over 50 but the prop and exhaust must also be tuned to the boat.

rio 51 racer 05-31-2012 07:30 AM

So which of those motors is best

glennb2006 05-31-2012 11:32 AM

So which of those motors is best

That's the age old question to which you are unlikely to get a definitive answer, it is all opinions. All the motors you list are able to get the Rio to (and past) 50MPH, but the speed is in the set up, my advice would be to try and steer yourself away from speed targets, rather start to try to get the model running reliably first, new motor and drive line, then the steering hardware and I know some end up refitting the radio gear.

Then, as your boat gets better and you work out the set up, the speed will come to you but hopefully a nicely handling hull will evolve with it. I have had 50MPH plus boats in the past that were a real pain in the neck to run, often they would be doing 50 upsdie down and 6 feet above the water - no fun, but I learned the hard way I guess.

If it were me in your shoes, I would look for a good used motor to get you going, plenty about.

Zenoah, RCMK and Quickdraw are all good motors with easy spares availability, I'd be looking for a used one of these motors.

As Scott Schneider said though, doing as much work as you are proposing to, you might be as well to build yourself one up from scratch.

Glenn

BH_Trade 05-31-2012 12:59 PM

The strongest motor of those 3 is the K30.  it also has the most potential with further mods.  It might be too much motor for that hull however . . . but to some ppl that isn't a bad thing

rio 51 racer 05-31-2012 03:27 PM

alright i also need a new rudder?? Which one

glennb2006 05-31-2012 04:05 PM

alright i also need a new rudder?? Which one
I think you might be missing the point completely, do yourself a favour and read all of the posts in this thread so far, there is no bad advice there, but maybe some you don't want to hear!!

Scott maybe had the best option - move this package on and build something from scratch or get a rigged model ready to go or needing work.

Over. -And out.

Glenn

rio 51 racer 05-31-2012 06:33 PM

Alright thanks guys :)

stevo7896 06-01-2012 11:10 PM

I must be lucky because my Rio just keeps on running and the hardware works great. Usually the guys who post about the Rio are having issues and are fustrated. Seems to me with the rtr boats is newbe guys (like me when I got mine) Are on the bottem end of the learning curve and we blow up the forums with complaints ,its usually operator error.Of course the fuji motor being the exception. When we learn from our Rios and such ,we have half a clue what were doing and realize how to have fun with these boats. A few on here tell you to sell and build your own boat . I love doing builds and thats my thing ,but for many doing a mod to a rtr is a lot easier to do,because some are just getting into the hobby and getting their feet wet.So I think selling his boat and losing intrest in boating before he gets his boat built from scratch might not be the best route. Of coarse Im not saying the rio is better than the average race boat you can buy used on the dock but if you already have the rio enjoy it ,If you get addicted ,then grow from there.