RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/11127018-engine.html)

rio 51 racer 06-21-2012 02:30 PM

engine

Hey guys i am at a stand still i can get a new 254 evo and a 10 hour quickdraw 35 for roughly the same price. Which will make my rio go faster. Im not looking for a racing boat with razor sharp handeling just a flat out fast boat that will handle some chop. And yes my rio now is far from stock?

glennb2006 06-21-2012 04:03 PM

RE: engine

Of those two, I'd prbably got for the RCMK as it is lighter and the Rio will not like the weight of the old QD. Can you not find a modded Zenoah secondhand going cheap?

Glenn

rio 51 racer 06-21-2012 04:16 PM

Nop can't fine a nice modded Zen in my price but can get a qd35 with pipe and bonzi clutch or rcmk EVO for roughly 400

Scott Schneider 06-21-2012 07:39 PM

Extra weight slows ya down .....
Less RPM limits ultimate speed ....
More torque = worse handling from torque roll and prop walk increases because of larger diameter props ....

:) Now add what engine fits above description and come to your own decision ;)

Ron Olson 06-21-2012 07:49 PM

I recently bought a QD 25 HT and wonder if I made the right move or not. The problem is come time to have it worked on it's not one of those jobs that you can do yourself as it's best in the case with a QD is to send it in for any kind of work besides the easy stuff. Pull apart the engine and the bolts have to be torqued down to the right spec's. An RCMK is more forgiving in instances like that and more user friendly. Yes, I've got a small pile of RCMK's BTW.
Before going crazy with a hot engine, remember what I've told you before, the stock Rio 51 driveline won't take any serious HP or torque and really needs to be updated to a better driveline. It's not holding together with just a stock Zen or Fuji then it surely won't be able to handle any more power.

quickdraw 06-21-2012 11:09 PM

Ron

The Quickdraws are not any harder to work on than the Zens. Just somethings have to be done a little different is all. I have customers who work on their own engines with no problems.

Todd

Quickdraw

wetsleeves 06-22-2012 02:19 AM

Rio 51 racer......it seems that youve already made your mind up with the quickdraw...... If thats the engine you really want to get, then get it........ me personally have never owned a quickdraw so I cant comment on those engines.
I do own modded zenoahs and rcmks and with the right mods, pipes and props they do have plenty of power and there are parts readilly available...

expresscraft 06-22-2012 02:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i can sell you this WHH M-5 with a mount, collet and s/s tuned pipe and a 90 day warranty thru whh here in fla. this motor has 5 HP for 364.00 plus shipping probably 12.00 bucks anywhere in the lower 48

rio 51 racer 06-22-2012 06:02 AM

I need a clutch with it
And yes I always wanted a quickdraw 35 but how much faster will it make the Rio go like if a 254 EVO will make it go 10 mph faster ill get that

expresscraft 06-22-2012 10:32 AM

all of the engines you mentioned can have a clutch added, the evo will be much faster then the 35, its a torque monster and will cause your boat to handle like craap more so then make it go fast.

glennb2006 06-22-2012 08:09 PM

Ditch the clutch.

But - I realised, you have had a load of advice, and even a really good offer and yet you are still trolling around.

You have had the answers you need, you really have, the advice you have had has all been top notch too, not one scrap of duff info. Your mind should be made up.

G