RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   miss bud wont run (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/11146878-miss-bud-wont-run.html)

flynhigh1 07-07-2012 02:53 PM

miss bud wont run

I have a 1/8th miss bud that will not start!!!!! It has a zenoah g-23 marine engine. i put a new spark plug in it and that didnt work. i have adjusted the high and low needles to factory and it wont even sputter. its getting spark cause i held the plug up against the block i tried putting a few drops down the head and then re inserting the plug and that didnt even work. new fuel and fuel lines. any suggestions would be much appreciated

tapkoote 07-07-2012 03:35 PM

RE: miss bud wont run

Have you tried swapping coils
some times when they are weak they will fire a plug out side but not under compression.

wetsleeves 07-08-2012 12:18 AM

have you check the fly wheel and make sure it hasnt spun and broke the fly wheel key. If it has then your timing would be out.

stevo7896 07-08-2012 02:33 PM

I would also check to make sure carb is clear and no debris .If its the 23 its been around awhile and probably sets for a time and carb can gum up. When you start it does your finger get wet with gas while pull starting it.

flynhigh1 07-08-2012 02:41 PM

thanks for the suggestions carb is clear and im getting fuel my guess is the coil maybe i will order one and try it out and see if that will get it to atleast fire i looked at the fly wheel and it seems fine.
<br type="_moz" />

tapkoote 07-08-2012 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: flynhigh1

thanks for the suggestions carb is clear and im getting fuel my guess is the coil maybe i will order one and try it out and see if that will get it to atleast fire i looked at the fly wheel and it seems fine.
<br type="_moz" />
Did you pull the flywheel off, no way to tell if it's a sheared key unless you do.
A 15 cent key is much cheaper than a coil/
Tap
<br type="_moz" />

flynhigh1 07-08-2012 03:29 PM

i guess i dont understand what u r talking about?? Because if the fly wheel key was broke wouldnt it just freewheel or not spin at all. Everytime i pull on the cord i can see the flywheel moving and it has compression. ??????

Dan S 07-08-2012 04:47 PM

no, the flywheel is on so tight that it would not free spin.
However it would have moved enough to get the timing off.
Remove the nut for the flywheel and use a puller to remove it, if the key is still there not broken than its something else.
Like mentioned before, key is a lot cheaper than a coil.

Dan.

Hydro Junkie 07-08-2012 10:32 PM

I have pulled flywheels out of yard equipment and it took a serious puller to get them off the shaft in all cases. The last time, I had to pull the flywheel off a Craftsman yard tractor's 26 horse twin, talk about a fight to get that one out[X(] As already stated, you can't tell until you get the flywheel off the shaft if the key is sheered and, unfortunately, all it takes is a few degrees of being off to keep an engine from running.

flynhigh1 07-09-2012 03:56 AM

You say to use a puller to remove the flywheel. i am assuming it is a special tool and if i dont have one what else can be used instead???? checked prices and the key is 99 cents and the coil is 74 bucks!!! Whoa didnt expect it to be that much

wetsleeves 07-09-2012 04:41 AM

you can make a tool, if you look at your fly wheel. there are two threaded bolt holes diaginal from each other. What you need to do is get a peice of steel, not to thin as it will bend and drill 2 holes and thread them so you can screw bolts threw the steel bar and into the fly wheel. You also need to drill another hole in the middle of those two bolts and thread it so you can screw a bolt threw the bar and screw it up against the end of the crank. Once you have the two outer screws bolted into the flywheel you tighten the middle bolt thats against the crank and keep tightining until the fly wheel pops of the crank.
hope that helps...if you understand what I mean

wetsleeves 07-09-2012 04:45 AM

heres what im talking about......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-Raci...#ht_796wt_1762

make sure you take the starter pawl off fisrt though