RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   flex shaft length on a rebuilld (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/11349167-flex-shaft-length-rebuilld.html)

neverthought 12-29-2012 09:16 PM

flex shaft length on a rebuilld

<div style="text-align: left;"><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">Hi, i am rearanging and upgrading my Shockwave 55, re-glasing the hull (original is to thin!) and re-installing theengin supportstringers and installing an Arrow Shark</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-weight: bold;">SR512 Stingray Drive</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;">stigner. I am using the stock Zenoha 230 (for now) and I was wondering</span><u style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"> what the distance between the transom and the clutch on the motor should be</u><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"> so I can use a standard 1/4 Flex Shaft? I am not sure i can use the same mounting holes for the engine as the original since I'm changing the drive? I will most likley install a new</span><span style="font-size: small;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Arrow Shark non-spring</font></span><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3"><span style="font-size: small;">V2 clutch and collet.
Any suggestions on the correct distance for my mounting bracket would be much appriciated?</span></font></div>

Justaddwata 12-30-2012 02:32 AM

RE: flex shaft length on a rebuilld

Your best bet would be to measure the length with a piece of wire and cut to length. Even if someone gives you a length - if they are wrong - your going to have to measure it and cut it anyway!!

neverthought 12-30-2012 06:27 AM

Thanks, does th is mean I need a collet on the clutch that accepts round shaft not square? then I just cut the shaft to lenght.

Justaddwata 12-30-2012 06:57 AM

If your using a square collet then you will need a cable/stub shaft that will allow you to cut and solder it. Not a huge deal but certainly more involved than just cutting a round cable. Another option - If your using an aeromarine collet then you may well be able to just swap your collet from a square ferrule to a round by just replacing the insert. Personally I would opt for the round cable setup.

neverthought 12-30-2012 07:04 AM

Super, Round it will be!
Thanks,
Pete

The Ghost 12-30-2012 12:50 PM

Pete,
With the Stingray drive it has the square drive in the stub shaft, you will use a round collet on the engine.
Cheers

neverthought 12-30-2012 03:21 PM

Great, Thanks.

Justaddwata 12-31-2012 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Pete,
With the Stingray drive it has the square drive in the stub shaft, you will use a round collet on the engine.
Cheers
Good to know!! Guess I am getting rusty with my drives :)