RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   screwed up strake (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/11597836-screwed-up-strake.html)

xplayer930 04-19-2014 04:49 AM

screwed up strake

Decided to pick up my easy vee again and finish it. Went to glue on the strakes and the left one when on fine, gluing it 2.5 inches out from the keel. The right one I managed to glue 2.1/4 inches out from the keel. I have no plans racing this boat, just running it for fun. Will have experience any major effects when driving the boat?

blizard05 04-19-2014 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by xplayer930 (Post 11786088)
Decided to pick up my easy vee again and finish it. Went to glue on the strakes and the left one when on fine, gluing it 2.5 inches out from the keel. The right one I managed to glue 2.1/4 inches out from the keel. I have no plans racing this boat, just running it for fun. Will have experience any major effects when driving the boat?

I see no problem, If you do order another strake from Joe

xplayer930 04-19-2014 05:39 PM

So is that a yes?

BMAD01 04-19-2014 06:21 PM

Sounds like you glued it on the wrong side of the line. It might not track straight and turning might also be affected. Fix it... Brian

martno1fan 04-20-2014 11:57 AM

Faster you go the worse handling will get,might not notice much at 35-40 but over that you will see some handling issues im sure.I agree fix it.
Mart

Joe Petro 04-24-2014 06:11 PM

I actually recommended that he leave them as is. He already glassed over them and I suggested that he try it and see what happens.
It might work better!

Most racing Vee hulls will list or lean to the right under power, requiring a trim tab adjustment to counter it.
This may help that, or it may make no difference at all. He can always fix it later if it is an issue.

I know the guy that designed this hull... :-)

Joe

martno1fan 04-24-2014 09:10 PM

Well he never mentioned glassing over anything in his post.If he asked you then i see no reason why he asked here to be honest.Has the designer actually tried one with the strakes like this?,i cant honestly see it helping anything.
Mart

Joe Petro 04-25-2014 05:44 AM

Have you actually tried this to find that it didn't work? You never know, this may be the new thing!

We tested many strake locations on the EV during development, but they were always symmetrical.

Joe

martno1fan 04-25-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Petro (Post 11790453)
Have you actually tried this to find that it didn't work? You never know, this may be the new thing!

We tested many strake locations on the EV during development, but they were always symmetrical.

Joe

Short answer is YES i have tried it unbeknown to me at the time,a boat i aquired some time ago for some reason wouldnt handle right and it had me stumped untill one day while i was blueprinting the bottom i noticed one strake was slighlty nearer the keel than the other,i didnt bother trying to fix it.
How does the easy vee run without strakes,i would think is would run better because its allready a hull with lots of lift.So long as it has chine rails it should run fine,thats what i found with the prowler hull which is very similar,the strakes just werent needed.

danielplace 04-25-2014 06:40 AM

It is already done and a sport cruiser so it only makes sense to give it a try first. Not really expecting benefits but how much it really affects it is any bodies guess. If it seems to do fine and works for his purpose it may not be necessary to go through the removal and relocation process. The only way that can be determined is to get her wet.

xplayer930 04-25-2014 07:31 AM

I'm a little baffled myself how I could make such an error. It just pains me at the moment to remove the strake when I glassed, and gave 2 additional coats of finishing resin/ microballons to the entire hull. It now resembles one piece of laminate.

Joe Petro 04-25-2014 08:48 AM

Run it and let us know how it goes.

Joe

xplayer930 04-25-2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Petro (Post 11790595)
Run it and let us know how it goes.

Joe

Will do. Off topic question; I am using your plastic screw down lid type radio box. Should I glue it directly to the bottom of the hull or make a support brace? My theory is 1) If the stuffing tube goes I will need to remove the radio box to replace it. 2) I plan on running your pipe and if the e-box isn't glued directly to the floor will I have enough clearance from the hot exhaust pipe to not melt the box?

Joe Petro 04-25-2014 10:44 AM

Glue in a rear brace so it can't move back and use rubber bands to hold it in place.

martno1fan 04-25-2014 08:53 PM

Use silicone to glue it in,easy to remove when if needed but wont come out on its own easy.