RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Exhaust header (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/1452703-exhaust-header.html)

Velocty 01-21-2004 01:33 PM

Exhaust header

Anyone know how hard it is to make a homemade exhaust header? I have an older Dumas Scarab S with a 22cc McCulloch and the bolt pattern on the exhaust port in kinda different, it's offset. One bolt is bolted to the upper left of the port and the other is bolted to the lower right of the port.

Any suggestions?

ibuildstuff 01-21-2004 02:16 PM

RE: Exhaust header

1 Attachment(s)
headers are the easiest things in the world to make (well sorta)... heres how its done

Get yaself a peice of bar stock.. maybe 2-3 inches MAX! maybe 1/4 inch thick (1/8 works but tough to weld)

Cut a hole in it the exact size of the exhuast port, then drill out your 2 holes for your bolts. Goto home depot and pickup some copper plumbing fittings.. (it looks sorta ghetto but theres ways to make it look great) If you dont have access to weld it yourself, take it to a welding shop, they can handle it.. weld a 90 or 45 or whatever you want it to come out as.. build it up however you want.. weld it to the plate, on center both ways.. and boom, ya got your exhuast header, its pretty simple...

I included a picture of one simalar to how i just explained so you can see.. its super simple and only takes about an hour to do (with a dremel)

Hope this helps ya.

btw.. you dont need to weld, you can braze it.. works just as good, i just like the peice of mine knowing it was welded.

The attached picture isnt one i made, but you will get the idea.

Velocty 01-21-2004 04:01 PM

Hey, thanks a lot!! I was hoping it wouldn't be a terriblly involved process. Looks like I'll be going to home depot this weekend to crank it out.

The picture really helped a ton. Thanks again!! :D

ibuildstuff 01-21-2004 05:58 PM

anytime bro

TERBObob 01-22-2004 08:38 PM

Hey Velocty ,
When making your header ... remember ... the LESS amount of bends , the better performance you will have .... the more angled the angles get , ALSO , the less performance you will have ... try and make the angles as small as possible and with ONLY as many as absolutely needed .
Also , try and keep the header pipe as short as possible ... the longer it gets , the less effective the tuned pipe will be . ( to a degree of course )

focusproduct 08-07-2009 11:38 PM

Ibuildstuff are there any photos of the DIY exhaust header with them 'looking good' and on the airplane?

MrMikeG 08-08-2009 02:32 AM

you pulled up a 5 year old post, he hasn't been around lately.

Justaddwata 08-08-2009 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL: focusproduct

Ibuildstuff are there any photos of the DIY exhaust header with them 'looking good' and on the airplane?

Not sure you will hear much from this member "Last Login: 5/31/2004" (the thread was from January 2004 ;))

TERBObob 08-08-2009 11:44 AM

DIY exhaust header with them 'looking good' and on the airplane?
First , this is the BOAT section . not airplanes . and also , there is a picture of his DIY header at the beginning of the thread . Not the presttiest , but it IS cheap and when you can't find one and have to scratch build one ... thats the info he gives .
Mysefl , not really sure I would want all that extra weight of copper or brass hanging all over , whereas for a boat , its not that critical to have that little bit of extra weight ( unless racing of course )