RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Fuel Type (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7384677-fuel-type.html)

fuelman8 04-17-2008 10:05 AM

Fuel Type

Does anyone know if it's ok to run 10% ethanol gas in SIKKs' or Zens?

nofords 04-17-2008 10:47 AM

RE: Fuel Type

"generally" 10% blend is OK to run in any gasoline powered vehicle. A slight tune may be in order. It will clean everything out. Others may have a different opinion. I unfortunately do not have too much of a choice when it comes to fuel and blends as almost every fuel station has a blend percentage of some sort. Governement is making it mandatory for all fuels to have an ethanol blend in the next year.

fuelman8 04-17-2008 10:52 AM

Thanks Nofords, I'm having the same problem here[>:]

glennb2006 04-17-2008 12:02 PM

I have heard of people in the US using camping petrol, I believe Coleman to be one brand that has been mentioned, you should be able to buy it fairly easily, so might be a good alternative for you to use for your model.

Glenn

martno1fan 04-17-2008 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

I have heard of people in the US using camping petrol, I believe Coleman to be one brand that has been mentioned, you should be able to buy it fairly easily, so might be a good alternative for you to use for your model.

Glenn
Yea and smells nicer too [)],not sure what it costs though compaired to gas?.

nvs motorsports 04-18-2008 12:15 AM

with ethanol blend fuels just on safe side run good quality oil
ethanol which is an alcohol base can cause cylinder wall wash down but i doubt 10% will be a worry also some oils are not compatible with alcohols tend to seperate from fuel

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 04-18-2008 07:14 AM

this would be interesting to watch with the alky/gas/oil additives. one might take a clear glass jar and put your oil/alky/gas mix in and let it sit and see just how fast or how much it seperates and how much shaking it takes to reconstitute the mix back together. i ran camp fuel/castor oil so it was never a problem

KD0EM 04-18-2008 05:58 PM

Tony you are getting some good input on this thread. Did you get the rest of the parts to finish the LADY?
Harold

KD0EM 04-18-2008 05:59 PM

Tony you are getting some good input on this thread. Did you get the rest of the parts to finish the LADY?
Harold

fuelman8 04-19-2008 06:49 AM

Nope, still missing the top fitting for the water jacket

fuelman8 04-19-2008 06:52 AM

NVS

I checked and Amsoil said there should be no problem using the Professional with the 10% ethanol.

KNahinu 04-20-2008 02:09 PM

I don't know about where you live, but here I heard that we can get non ethanol gas from the boat fueling dock. I was at a local small engine repair shop and the ethanol is causing alot of carb related problems it's eating away some of the seals in the carb. I'm not sure what seals and unsure how long it takes for the problems to araise.

lildude2599 04-20-2008 07:37 PM

How would you mix the camp fuel to run in a gas motor? What kind of oil is best? And how much oil to camp fuel ratio?

nofords 04-21-2008 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: KNahinu

I don't know about where you live, but here I heard that we can get non ethanol gas from the boat fueling dock. I was at a local small engine repair shop and the ethanol is causing alot of carb related problems it's eating away some of the seals in the carb. I'm not sure what seals and unsure how long it takes for the problems to araise.

generally this is found in higher concentrations of ethanol like E85 as an example. What the actual problem with ethanol blends is that it will remove any varnish from old gasoline fuels left in the lines and tank. This cloggs fuel filters (a good thing) but if any varnish (that yellow gummy stuff found in cars that sit for a month or two) is found in fuel bowls of carbs or even on the accelerator pump diaphragm in the carb it tends to clog jets and journals in the carbs. If the engine is at higher rpms, the varnish letting go in a 75-100gph fuel pumps found in some larger engines will actually pinhole diaphrams and gaskets within carbs and fuel injectors causing the deterioration described above. 'generally' 10% blend will barely soften a gasket/seal except where an ageing one currently exists. I've been running 10% blend for eons and w/o concern. Start running 35% or more blends, then think twice...

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 04-21-2008 02:56 PM

camp fuel mixes the same ratios as regular gas i ran Maxima 927 castor at 5 ounces to the gallon. castor oil will flow to a hot spot where regular or synthetic oils will flow away from hot spots

lildude2599 04-22-2008 06:13 PM

Will this fuel work in a fuel bag? Or it will eat it up? Will you think it will work well in a homelite motor?

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 04-22-2008 06:30 PM

yuppers no worries for using an IV bag and your Homie will be in tall clover runnin camp fuel.. it will run better than regular gas

lildude2599 04-22-2008 06:34 PM

That sounds good. Just use castor oil and camp fuel no other oil's are needed?

OLD_SLOW and in the WAY 04-23-2008 07:05 AM

you can run any oil you want but ive always been a castor fan