RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Hydro Marine X-Ray (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7470632-hydro-marine-x-ray.html)

SJN 05-08-2008 06:50 AM

Hydro Marine X-Ray

1 Attachment(s)
Well, this will be my first gas baot.....sorta. ;)
I bought a ebay china gas boat before, but that was a waste of money....but still learnt a little, and had some fun ;)

I might need some help on this one.
There is a full set of very detailed instructions, but they are in german, and I can understand about 1/3 of it:D

I bought this X-Ray hull, and gas engine fittings set from http://www.hydromarine.de/ in Germany.

Unfortunatly, there is a little shipping damage on the canopy, but otherwise the fiberglass work is exelent.
I would like to keep it in the gelcoat allover, and not paint it. Im getting a new canopy, as the repairs to the existing one cant be hidden without paint.

See the little damage here: http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/s737500/X-Ray/

Im going to get either a stock Zenoah 26, or a Sikk 27cc motor.

It looks like I will need to fabricat a "box" to install on the transomto clear the prop strut.
There arnt any relevant pictures in the manual unfortunatly [:o]

I hope it turns out nice ;)

I will have to wait until next month to get the engine, pipe, and all the other fittngs.....

wayneuk01 05-08-2008 07:06 AM

RE: Hydro Marine X-Ray

:D very nice looking boat

SJN 05-08-2008 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks wayneuk01 ;)

built a box on the transom out of plywood to make room for the prop strut.

jeremy242 05-08-2008 01:29 PM

I might be wrong but can you just pull the brass stuffing tube out of the strut and just cut the strut dow so that it sits flush. If you did that you would also have to cut the bearing down as well. I am not an expert. It would look sweet with the rudder tucked under the "dive platform".

SJN 05-08-2008 01:44 PM

I guess that could be done......but how does the handling/performance be effected, by moving the prop colser or further away frm the transom ?
I found a realy bad picture in my manual, which shows the setup which I have done above.....so i guess it must work ;)

I might have another problem.
The drive dog on my included flex shaft is 3/16"
isn`t this too small for the larger props that the zenoah 26 or sikk 27cc engine ?

What size props should i be looking for ?

should i get a 1/4" drive dog for larger props ?

jeremy242 05-08-2008 02:43 PM

The drive dog needs to be the diameter of the stub shaft that it is going on. If you want to use a larger drive dog you will need to get a step up bearing so that it will match the diameter of the stub shaft. I will be watching for a prop reply as i would like to know the same info.

SJN 05-08-2008 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this stock zenoah 26.....so this is what I need a prop for to match my boat.
I will probably buy this pipe, but with thte exhaut pointing rearwards.

My hull is 49" long, 12.6" wide and the hull, flexshaft, and rudder as in the pics above weigh 3.6 lbs.

Which prop would you reccomend for my setup ?

New BONZÍ Zenoah Stock G260PUM with a BLACK anodized water jacket. This is the 4 port powerhouse for
maximum torque.

Factory rated at 2.89HP, this reliable engine comes new in the box with the owner's manual and tools.

Has a Walbro WT-644 carb (with choke and primer bulb
for easier starting) and black stock velocity stack
(as shown in picture).

cyclesoul 05-08-2008 07:47 PM

Nice hull! I will be watching this build for sure. Im tossing up between this hull and a rico racing offshore hull.

mauian 05-08-2008 07:58 PM

Nice Boat, I noticed that you have the stuffing tube right in the middle. Most holes for the strut and stuffing tube is offset a bit to help with prop torque, so looking from the back it would be offset around 1/4 inch from middle to the right. I might be wrong on exactly how far it should be but offset is where ya want it. For prop choice try 67mm, 70mm, 75mm or any inbetween. Bonzi has them on their site.

SJN 05-13-2008 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks mauian.
I dont know about the ofset stuffing tube......in the pictures in the manual, it is centered. It will probably require some rudder to keep it strait.

Got the engine today. ;)
And installed the engine mounts, and shaft adapter.

Now i just need to buy some fiberglass engine mount rails, and the exhaust system....and a few other things ;)

SJN 06-19-2008 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recieved some more hardware today.

Engine mount, radio box and the exhaust header.
I will order a pipe next week.....then I can put it all together ;)

I did not anticipate that the exhaust system needed to be welded/soldered ?
I will have to ask a friend for a favor on that ;)

Im guessing that the U shape pipe, needs to be joined to the golden flange that bolts onto the water-cooled header, and also the flex pipe needs to be installed on the other end of the U pipe, once cut to correct lenght.

Should this be mig/tig welded, or silver slodered or something else ?

thevirginian 06-19-2008 02:40 PM

Hey, Sonnich;
I wonder what thickness are the motor stringers? They look awfully thin to me for holding a Zen. Isn't there enough room for a 100° header instead of that awkward U-shaped pipe? You will sacrifice quite a bit of power by using that set up.

SJN 06-19-2008 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

The strigners are 3mm or 0.118110236 inch
They are designed for this boat, so I expect them to work ;)

There is ony 36 cm 14.17" from the transom to the middle of the exhaust port on the zen.
Thats why the manufacturer of the hull reccomended the U shape and header to make room for the long pipe.

Im getting the MHZ pipe which is 36cm long, and water cooled. Water is injected into the pipe i think.

SJN 07-11-2008 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the last parts today ;)

Cutting the bits to fit, and assembling.

SJN 07-11-2008 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MHZ Carb cable installed.

jeremy242 07-11-2008 04:36 PM

Lookin good

SJN 07-11-2008 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jeremy ;)

Just installed the grills

jacob711 07-11-2008 11:26 PM

that is a very nice boat, but one thing i noticed is that the header pipe looks very long so i dont think you are going to get the tuned length short enough which will kill your power and rpms

Justaddwata 07-12-2008 12:05 AM

Love the work that went into that rail setup. Is that a factory component or something you have done yourself - a lot of work there ;)

SJN 07-12-2008 06:43 AM

Hi Jacob.

Yes, I am also concerned about the lenght of the header. It is overall 10cm too long.
I ordered all the parts that the manufacturer has recomended for thier boat.

I will have to try it out as it is, and if its realy bad, ill just buy a simple 90 degreee header, which will shorten it down.
Dont know why the manufacturer reccomends the header going forward.

It is also a wet pipe, so its not going to be a racer anyway :D

My next project will be for speed :)

Justaddwata, the engine rails are from Hydro & Marine.
Great quality, but cost too much ;)

martno1fan 07-12-2008 08:57 AM

10 cm ?[X(] thats way long it will run like crap,change it now mate ,also not sure about your strut setup how you going to alter your prop depth as you wont be able to move it up and down much if at all,or maybe you accounted for this?.how much can you move your pipe in to shorten it?.
Mart

martno1fan 07-12-2008 09:03 AM

You will find most monos with side exit exhaust have a wrap forward header otherwise the pipe wont fit in the hull.Looking at your header you can easy shorten it just cut the joiner and the header pipe till your in the ball park you will then need to test b4 finally trimming it to correct length.

w3bby 07-12-2008 09:04 AM

Nice looking build:D

You can shorten the flex tube to the pipe to remove some of that extra length, make up the distance to the transom with some tubing instead.

You say wet pipe, are you injecting water into the pipe or just water cooling the first part of the pipe (I see inlet and outlet on the front end of the pipe)?

I hope you are going to visit us in Malmö when it's finished??

martno1fan 07-12-2008 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was going to suggest what Ian says add an extenson to end of pipe if its too short when you shorten things heres how i did mine on my hydro.I used silicone tube to join it but you could use that flexi joiner you have or part of it when you shorten it ;).Nice boat i love those rails in the hull ,great idea i might try a similar one in future ill make one from plywood :D.

SJN 07-12-2008 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mart

Thanks for the input.
I dont have the hardware to change it right now.
The U shaped bend has to be removed to get the correct lengt. Even removing the flexable tube, wont be short enough.

The water cools the front of the pipe, and is also dumped into the pipe. cools, and dampens the sound it says... Its a Zimmerman pipe.

The prop depth can not be altered easily. The brass flex tube, is inserted into prop strut, which makes it rigit.

Thanks Ian, me and the guys have to come over some day ;)