RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   Engine Running (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7506631-engine-running.html)

fuelman8 05-17-2008 08:38 AM

Engine Running

How long can you run an engine without water to the jacket?

Paul M 05-17-2008 09:23 AM

RE: Engine Running

As long as it takes to put a cowl on and throw it in the water.:D

When the head becomes hot to the touch you need to shut it off.

That's my rule. I'm sure you'll get many opinions here.

Better safe than sorry though.

Even with running water through the jacket, I can't see alot of value in running an engine for long on a stand. Without loading the engine you can't tune the high end. All you can really do is set your idle and make sure your connections (water, push rods, fuel etc) are solid. That can be done in a couple minutes.

Hope it helps. Curious, why do you ask?

fuelman8 05-17-2008 10:04 AM

I just wanted to make sure it starts the first time before I take it to the pond

Ron Olson 05-17-2008 10:42 AM

Usually until it blows up!:D Come on, you knew that somebody was going to say that.
I wouldn't take a long time but enough if you have to do a needle adjustment. Of course there are variables, air temp and if you fire up with a high or low idle speed.
I just fired my gas engine up for the first time last Saturday but only ran it for a short amount of time before shutting it down, maybe a minute tops.

martno1fan 05-17-2008 10:44 AM

Get an old plastic jug ,water bottle whatever drill two holes in the lid stick two lengths of silicone tube in there fill with water connect the ends to your cooling lines with some spare brass tubing and get someone to hold it upside down then start the motor you will get plenty of water to cool it while you run the motor for a bit and play,if you only have one cooling line then you just need one in the jug ;).
Mart

Paul M 05-17-2008 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I start mine everytime before I go to the lake, just to make sure. No harm in that. Like I said, I put my hand on the cooling head while it's running and as soon as I feel it getting hot, I shut it down.

Here's a couple pics of a little gadget I made to hook up to the garden hose for a continuous supply of water. It's a hose fitting with a turn off with a PVC cap that I drilled and tapped for a small nipple that I can put a hunk of silicone over.

Hope it helps.

fuelman8 05-17-2008 04:29 PM

Thanks for the helpful info Ron[sm=bananahead.gif]

Mart and Paul. After I posted this morning I got my new waterjacket from Oneil Bros.

Talk about great guys, I broke the fitting off the top of the original (as you're aware of) and they didn't have the fitting so Sean sold me a new jacket for a 40% discount. and are back ordering the fitting for me. I'm so glad I have bought my motor and pipes from them.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I rigged a fitting to fit my water hose similar to Pauls so i'll be able to supply the motor and exhaust with it. Works great, I have about a 9-10" stream coming from both outlets.

Tomorrow's breakin day. Wish me luck.

martno1fan 05-17-2008 04:46 PM

Just make sure you do the break in on the water ;),by the way not too much break in is needed i just ran for 5 mins brought her in ,let her cool right down then back out for ten mins back in and so on untill the tank was almost empty varying throttle all the time and not exeeding 3/4 throttle.Second tank i let her rip for short bursts and had fun,3rd tank i just let her rip for a few laps and that was it engine run in;).Some guys dont even do that but i prefer to do a little break in and allways use plenty of synthetic oil 16-1 or 8oz is what i use.On my full mod im using 12-1 [X(].

Paul M 05-17-2008 09:49 PM

Have fun. Hope everything works well for you:)

fuelman8 05-18-2008 11:05 AM

Got her in the water this morning. It started up after about 4 pulls and ran between idle and 1/2 throttle for about 3 minutes and then suddenly slowed and stopped.

I've got to check and see if there is a problem with the fuel supply because it sounds like it ran out of fuel, yet when I took the plug out it was wet.

Oh well it's all a learning curve I have to get over[:o]

Paul M 05-18-2008 11:48 AM

Can you post some pics of everything? That's usually what i do when I am having a problem and typically somebody on here can spot the problem by looking at the pics.

Dan S 05-19-2008 12:15 AM

ORIGINAL: fuelman8

Got her in the water this morning. It started up after about 4 pulls and ran between idle and 1/2 throttle for about 3 minutes and then suddenly slowed and stopped.

I've got to check and see if there is a problem with the fuel supply because it sounds like it ran out of fuel, yet when I took the plug out it was wet.

Oh well it's all a learning curve I have to get over[:o]
what are your needle settings?

Dan.

fuelman8 05-19-2008 04:05 AM

1 1/2 on the high and 1 1/4 on the low.

It's really hard to pull the starter rope now with the plug in and real easy with it out.

The rope wants to pull back at about 1/2 a pull.

Not sure where to start looking now.

highredoctane 05-19-2008 02:03 PM

Check to see if it is flooded

Dan S 05-19-2008 03:05 PM

It's really hard to pull the starter rope now with the plug in and real easy with it out.

Fuelman,
you can start with 2 on the low and 1 on the high.

a good tip to start your engine, using a 5/8 open end wrench, loosen your spark plug (relieves the pressure), prime your engine and start her up, once she's started tighten the plug and have fun.

Dan.

martno1fan 05-19-2008 03:07 PM

You flooded it mate ,remove plug and fuel lines pull her over a few times get the fuel out a bit then put fuel lines back on and plug back in and start her up.Also check your cap on your tank has an air vent ;).
Mart

fuelman8 05-19-2008 03:55 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, i've got it straightened out now:D