RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   MaxCatV1-L Scratch Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7507027-maxcatv1-l-scratch-build.html)

MaxCorvette 08-31-2010 04:08 AM

RE: MaxCatV1-L Scratch Build

No they are still in business, but their provider is down. Seems to be a big issue.

ThomasSalin 09-01-2010 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some progress, canopy from RBCkits

Thomas

we2psd2phn 09-15-2010 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just a few more photos still have heaps of work to go but getting there

METALGEAR1 11-14-2010 12:14 AM

Ok thats it... you guys just did it. Im going to print this plans and get me some wood. The only thing is that here in South Africa I can get 4mm marine ply and thats it nothing thinner. So the whole thing will be of 4mm ply, the ribs the sheeting the sponsons every thing, hope it dosnt weigh to much as the stock zen will have to do as here is no hopups availeble.

MaxCorvette 11-14-2010 04:14 AM

If it really is 4mm marine grade ply then look for cheaper softer ply that is not marine grade.
This because marine grade ply is very heavy, good for the ribs and stringer but much to heavy for hull sheeting.
Hull sheeting 3mm normal ply or 2mm marine grade ply, else it will be to heavy for stock zenoah.

Marcel

METALGEAR1 11-14-2010 12:59 PM

Thanks Marcel.
I bought the marine ply this morning, printed a sticker and began the cutting. The stringers and almost all the ribs is done. By normal ply do you mean pinewood ply? I was wondering about balsa wood for the covering as these are easy to come by. Then maybe glass it inside and out.  One more thing..the running hardware will the Black Jack 55 stuff work as this is freely avalible I think I will import a prop from someone just dont know wich one and hope it doesnt get stolen again in the mail.

MaxCorvette 11-14-2010 01:36 PM

Yes, pine or poplar ply, I use poplar. here they also have balsa ply, that is birch out and balsa in.
All balsa would not be my choice since it is soft and doen't take hits very well, Glass in and out has to be done anyway whatever wood you choose.
Blackjack hardware I don't know, my first choice is Speedmaster.
As for a prop, get a Propshop 7016/2 and your set to go.

Marcel

METALGEAR1 11-15-2010 02:24 PM

Thanks I think Ill go with the normal pine ply 3mm. I see your from the Nethers.. its much like Afrikaans so ek dink jy sal dit dalk verstaan dit is my moeder taal. Thanks for the advice maybe Ill import all the right stuff and weight 3 months or so for it, I do know a Importer that garantees a 7 day delivery but its like 35 us $ extra , maybe worth it. At the same time maybe get a decent motor like a Bonzi Zen or a Quiqe draw or some thing.

METALGEAR1 11-15-2010 02:31 PM

Sorry just went to the net and searched for that prop :

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff"><font face="Arial" color="#000000">The prop shop is Dia: 2,76 x 4,41 and the pro boat is: dia: 2,74 x 4,2 dont kno ..... help please!</font>Specifications </font></p><table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="0" style="WIDTH: 377px; HEIGHT: 168px"><tr valign="top"><td>http://www.plumkrazyrcboats.com/so4/...age/spacer.gif</td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">DIA:</font></td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">2.76</font></td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>http://www.plumkrazyrcboats.com/so4/...age/spacer.gif</td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">PITCH:</font></td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">4.41</font></td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>http://www.plumkrazyrcboats.com/so4/...age/spacer.gif</td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">BORE:</font></td><td><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" color="#ffffff">.250" (1/4")</font></td></tr></table>

METALGEAR1 11-17-2010 11:29 AM

I found some airplane ply of 2mm think itll work for the covering?

MaxCorvette 11-17-2010 11:37 AM

Yes, will be great! Not sure about the props, just don't know them

METALGEAR1 11-21-2010 05:20 AM

So here is were I at the moment. Please do comment good or bad. I do know the one spar reinforcement is broken just at the joint will rectify it asap.

MaxCorvette 11-21-2010 07:35 AM

You need to build on a jig else the nose and sponsoons will not be straight...
It needs to be true and straight any diiference left or right will cost speed or worse make it run cirkels

Marcel

METALGEAR1 11-21-2010 09:43 AM

I have a jig But took it out to get the photos the jig is as solid as they come I mesured it across for sraightness its perfect and its sqeure and true. Now its only a lot of sanding to get all tollerances to as small as posible and get the epoxi running marks out.</p>

METALGEAR1 11-25-2010 01:52 PM

Got the motor today, stock 26 Zenoah. There is a guy in cape town some 1700km from here that has done some mods on them with greate success will send it there next week. As far as the build goes, I ordered some 2mm spruce ply and is still wiating for it (Africa time). Will start covering as soon as it arives. Glued the supports in all the right places an ordered the glassfiber too. I will be useing 4 oz glass in and out. Dont know if it makes a differance but its woven and not mat.
I will see in the end.

martno1fan 11-25-2010 04:14 PM

My advice just glass the inside seams no need to glass outside,that will just make for a heavy boat ;).

METALGEAR1 12-09-2010 08:04 AM

Still waiting for the ply so I cancelled it..... Now a quistion to the pros can I cover the hole thing in 2,5mm balsa and glass it in and out. I think it will hold , Im not a racer just want a nice fastish boat.
It is bad to live in a under developed sloppish kind of service country. Not to say my country bad but service delivvery is not up to par with the rest of the world. Im just trying to put things to use that is availeble.Help please!!

we2psd2phn 01-28-2011 12:39 AM

just got my 2 power trim 2007 just waiting to order my 2 twin rcmk the power tim look **** hot

we2psd2phn 01-29-2011 03:23 AM

hey does anyone know what the length of the hpr 233 ruder is

martinchoj33 06-10-2011 05:44 AM

All that weighs the ship that you do in fiber?

KD0EM 12-07-2015 02:17 PM

I'm Back! Hello to every one on the Speed - RC Gas Boats Forum.
A lot has happened in the last few years, I don't think I will be adding anything more to this build thread, However I may be starting a new RC gas deep V build this winter.
Anyway I misted this forum very much!
Harold