RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   MaxCatV1-L Scratch Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7507027-maxcatv1-l-scratch-build.html)

KD0EM 05-17-2008 11:18 AM

MaxCatV1-L Scratch Build

1 Attachment(s)
I just got done with a 48 inch scratch build mono, The only thing left to do on it is get and install all the hardware witch I do not have yet.
So I am going to start a build on this MaxCatV1-L, All the credit for this Cat design goes out to MaxCorvette, Marcel, and Location Grou. Thank you Marcel.
So far I have got all the parts cut out and started putting the stringers together.

martno1fan 05-17-2008 12:00 PM

RE: MaxCatV1-L Scratch Build

Looks good mate what wood are you using for the build?.
Mart

KD0EM 05-18-2008 06:35 AM

Hi Mart, The wood you see on them pictures is 5.2 mm thick or about 3/16”; it is birch plywood 4X8 foot from the Home depot store. Thank you for the comment.

Harold

fmarcelo 05-18-2008 07:13 AM

very nice design I really like to get a copy of this project to build a plug and do on fiber, you think you can help me?

STEVE MARSHALL 05-18-2008 07:26 AM

Hey KDOEM, looks great so far, are thoes frames hand cut or cnc cut, keep the pics coming,any idea of power,hardware etc. Also how long and wide is it going to be.
Steve

fuelman8 05-18-2008 08:45 AM

Harold

How did laminating the stringers work out for you?[sm=71_71.gif]

KD0EM 05-18-2008 06:36 PM

Hi Tony laminating the stringers worked out vary good, I have got the port side done, When I do the other
one I am going to do all three part at the same time, I will have plenty of time to get them lined up with that
finishing resin. See you in the morning.
Harold

KD0EM 05-19-2008 08:41 PM

Hi Steve
I am sorry, I replied to your comment last night but I may have forgotten to hit the send before logging off.
The frames and all the parts are cut by hand, I have a mild mode Zen for the power new, as far as the hardware I am not sure what I will be using, The hull will be 56 ½ inch long and 16 ½ inch wide. Thank you for your comment.
Harold

KD0EM 05-20-2008 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the other stringer laminated to gather, I done all three of the parts at the same time on this one; I had to use 63 clamps to hold it to gather. Here are some pics of most of the part dry fitted together, now I need to make up some sort of jig and start gluing it together. Harold

KD0EM 05-22-2008 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached the main stringers to the building board and epoxy all the rest of the parts to them; I have checked it with squares straightedge and level and it all seems to be ok. The next thing I will do is epoxy all the side and deck stringer in.
Harold

I am going to be using this cat hull for a plug to make a fiber hull. I will be making a few chages to the back and sides for looks.

Harold

thevirginian 05-23-2008 08:09 PM

Looking real good, Harold.
I am the one who is scratchbuilding a 1/8 scale Hydro here on RCU. Your build looks very familiar, although different boat. Believe me, it is a great challenge. But the reward is unmatched,once finished. I am building my cowling right now. What kind of chore that is [X(]. I am following with great interest your build, 'cause I think I might build me a cat next. Keep those pictures coming and good luck.
thevirginian

MaxCorvette 05-25-2008 10:18 AM

Hi harold, nice to see you sharing your work with us.
It really is a nice cat, keep it up!

Marcel

fmarcelo 05-25-2008 11:13 AM

Hi I did sent you a menssage before, I am in Brazil and is very Hard to get that kind of stuff here, just freight along for a hull like that is around 1500$ so that's why I ask you to help me if I can get from you a copy of those blue print project, please just let me know if you can help, I wont disturb you anymore..thank you very much

dannyual777 05-25-2008 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: KD0EM

Hi Mart, The wood you see on them pictures is 5.2 mm thick or about 3/16”; it is birch plywood 4X8 foot from the Home depot store. Thank you for the comment.

Harold

Harold, your build looks like it is going very well. I've got a couple of sets of plans for scratch-built cats and I hope to get started some time in June.

I've got a comment on the thickness of the wood that you're using: it seems to be pretty thick. Anyway, it is pretty neat that you were able to find a large 4X8 sheet of Birch plywood at Home Depot. I'm going to have to check my local store to see if they've got any of it. I've never built a hull as large as your hull (58") but I did build a very nice 48" wood mono and all of the frames were built from 1/8" (~3mm) thick Okoume wood. The transom was doubled, of course. It seems to me that 5.2mm thick wood appears to be on the thick side but what do I know :D ? It may be just perfect for a 58" hull. You might be just a bit on the heavy side but that isn't so much of a problem with gas powered boats. My wood mono is a little too light!

Keep you pictures coming as it helps all of us with our builds.

Danny

MaxCorvette 05-25-2008 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: fmarcelo

Hi I did sent you a menssage before, I am in Brazil and is very Hard to get that kind of stuff here, just freight along for a hull like that is around 1500$ so that's why I ask you to help me if I can get from you a copy of those blue print project, please just let me know if you can help, I wont disturb you anymore..thank you very much
Hi fmarcelo,

Since it is my design, i'll give you the link :)
Plans are downloadable at this adres : [link=http://cid-d15bb0f76da55eb3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/MaxCat/MaxCatV1-L.zip]MaxCatV1-L[/link]

Marcel

dannyual777 05-25-2008 02:39 PM

Marcel, what thickness of wood do you recommend for building your cat?

alloutcustom 05-25-2008 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: KD0EM

Harold

how much does that cost?

MaxCorvette 05-26-2008 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used 4mm birch wood for the ribs and stringers and 3mm birch ply for the hull plating.
The drawings are made for these thickness of wood.
Next time I'll use 3mm ply for the ribs and a mix of 1,5 and 3mm for the hull plating.
But if you're not an experienced builder don't use 3mm for ribs, they will break once or twice before the project is fnished.
And also for a gas cat weight is not a real issue, a slightly heavier cat will be a steadier cat.
Lighter is not always good if you want an allround fun boat.

here is a pic of my Cat.

Marcel

dannyual777 05-26-2008 04:27 AM

Right you are about being too light with a gas boat, Marcel ;) ! My mono is a bit too light. With my next scratch-build (cat) I'm not going to focus so much on light weight. I was thinking too much about weight because nitro boats need to be light.

Thank you for the thickness figures on the wood you used. I'm going to use 3mm (1/8" ) wood thickness for my ribs like you did.

Danny

KD0EM 05-26-2008 12:21 PM

Hi alloutcustom.
Sorry for not replying sooner, I paid $15.00 for a 4X8 foot.
Harold

KD0EM 05-26-2008 12:41 PM

Hi fmarcelo

I am sorry about not replying sooner, forgive me, I see thar Marcel put a link to the plans on here, that is good, seeing as they are his plans I did not feel that I had the right to hand them out myself, Now that Marcel put the link on here himself, every thing sould be AOK now. As far as my build of it, soom are wondering about the thickness of the wood that I am using, they think it my be to hevey, but that dose not bother me since I am using it for a plug to make a mold!! I was looking a long time for plans of a cat that I like, This one is the best that I have looked at. At least I did all the foot wook for some one els how want the plans now to make a mold.
Harols

KD0EM 05-26-2008 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I am just about done putting on all the side stringers top and bottom and the step supports, This part of the build you need to spend time on, a lot depends on this part of the build. I will be posting some pics of this soon.
Harold

KD0EM 05-26-2008 01:30 PM

Hi Marcel, I got all the side stringers top and bottom on the ribs all the way up to and epoxy to rib #1, When I bent them into the nose to fit and epoxy they both snapped back at rib #1, I am thinking of cutting them off back at rib 3 or 4 and splicing in new ones and trying it again, What do you think?
Harold

MaxCorvette 05-26-2008 01:51 PM

To Bad that happened, think that what you suggest is best.
Maybe heat the wood before you bent it, wood bents better when hot.
Think I was lucky, this happened to several others also. I never broke a stringer.
Use the small clamps you where using before, not the big ones. When these thin stringers dent, they break where they dent.
What is the size of the stringers you made anyway?
Ik used 4x7mm that was the max I could use before they break..
Also i used superglue to fix them in place, later I applied epoxy to glue them better.

KD0EM 05-27-2008 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK here is where I am at now on this build; I have got all the side stringer top and bottom, but not with out some problems, When you are ready to do this part of the build it is vary important to have the build attached to the building board and have all the frames and ribs straight, level, and in line, a lot depends on this part of the build. I made three attempts trying to bring the ribs into the nose, they would snap at rib #1. I am going away for a few days with my wife to spend some time together. I am not going to take it off the building board till I get back, so that all the epoxy can set up good. The next part of the build will be the tunnel sheeting. I think I will be using 1/16th inch ply for that.
Harold