RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   WHICH CLUTCH SYSTEM??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7625815-clutch-system.html)

monsterbrad 06-16-2008 03:41 PM

WHICH CLUTCH SYSTEM???

What are you guys running out there???
I have the older aluminum dog type and it is crap.
Ware house hobbies seems to have a great clutch system!

Dreamin Hemi 06-16-2008 04:01 PM

RE: WHICH CLUTCH SYSTEM???

I recently purchased an entire engine/hardware package for one of my own design boats for classroom use (I'm a high school shop teacher). Tony set us up with a great package and I was very impressed about the quality of the clutch system that was pre-installed on our engine.

misshydro 06-16-2008 04:18 PM

why run a clutch system???[&:] To me there more of a waste then anything else.[:'(] They put more drag on the motor=take away hp and rpms. Most guys who races dont use cluches.;) Even the nitros boats dont use clutches eather.[8D] Plus with clutches you have to add a water pump to =more weight into your boat.[X(] The lighter the boat the faster it will be.:D Oh hay I know that town your living at too!! It was one of my stomping grounds!!!:)

martno1fan 06-16-2008 04:25 PM

A clutch is a great idea for a sports boat i love em ,less hassle when tuning and launching for starters especially for those days when your on your own ;).Oh and you def do not need a water pump unless you plan on idling in the margins instead of running your boat :).
Mart

quickdraw 06-16-2008 05:53 PM

I would run a Bonzi Sports one. The reason being is because it has a steel clutch drum in it. I don't know if Tony has one in his? The reason I say the Bonzi ones is because of the ruined motors we have come in with the anodized aluminum clutch drums. The clutch shoes wear through the anodizing and than start to eat into the aluminum. I have had a few engines come in totaly covered in black paste and than pull the clutch housing to see a big grove cut into the drum. The shoes are abrasive and is like adding laping compound to the motor. Plus than you have aluminum getting sucked in also. Those running aluminum style drums should check your hulls and see if you had any black dust in there after running? Just a little safety warning is all.

Todd
Quickdraw

Dreamin Hemi 06-16-2008 08:50 PM

The clutch system I received from WHH made of spun steel, definately not aluminum.

NIRCBC 06-17-2008 01:10 AM

Im running a Bonzi clutch its great i dont lose no hp still in the mid 40s with a stock zen with a 51 inch hull. Its grabs when you want it to I belive it has a stainlessteal drum

monsterbrad 06-17-2008 06:39 PM

I am not sure what the WWH is but my boat is going to have one soon.
I am hoping it is on it's way
New ISO pad in the back and there clutch system with grease cone on the front.
I have not seen the Bonzi clutch but I do like the BH Hanson pro clutch but there is no way of lubing the drive shaft like there is with the WWH stuff.
I would like to be able to run this boat more then 10 minutes before the drive shaft and clutch fails.
WWH is a great place they are very helpfull!
A+ Tony and the team

Dreamin Hemi 06-17-2008 06:49 PM

That is the same system we used in my fiberglass boat build lesson plan I did with my students. The Isopad worked well and made things a little easier to setup. The students also liked the idea of the grease fitting on the cone for lubrication. Tony has created a nice, reliable system. I had STUDENTS research the equipment for their hull with little input for me. Few students were already avid r/c boaters, most of them not. They all liked the way the hardware appeared and thus decided to make our purchase from WHH.

Dreamin Hemi 06-17-2008 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Few shots of where we left off this semester with my class.

stuch 06-17-2008 11:51 PM

i have both clutch systems Bonzi and WHH both have stainless steel bells both run Zenoah clutches. bonzi uses the stock Zenoah clutch spring. WHH uses a thicker spring it engages later on the rpms. both clutches are the best in the business. but i like bonzi's setup better is real sweet looking. both will acept a a Siik clutch replacement shoes which is cheaper then the Zenoah. and lasts just as long. the only trouble i had with the WHH one is that i broke the thicker clutch spring. but that was do to the size of the boat the 5.5hp motor is pushing. its a WHH man-o-war 52inches and alot heaver then the bonzi 50inch hull...

Thefarside 06-18-2008 06:21 AM

IMHO the Marine Specialties Pro clutch works great, Lifetime warranty, will not slip even soaked with oil & water. I run one on my 56" Apache and no apparent slip. The only problem is they are seldom in stock. Good luck.

John

mhayes462 06-18-2008 11:31 AM

Is this clutch system from WHH any good? It is a lot cheaper too. Or are any of their other clutches any good besides the Enforcer one?
http://69.49.183.35/ProductDetails.a...ctCode=RMB1030

monsterbrad 06-18-2008 08:58 PM

Well I am going to attempt to put the WWH clutch system in the old boat here soon.
I took all the old stuff out and the boat is ready for the ISO pad and new clutch.
I may have to cut my canopy which will delete the guys that I have in the old Revenge boat.
But oh well I want to run this boat rather then watch it sit here.

launchpad51 02-23-2009 09:07 PM

Hello There;

I have the same clutch for my rio51,and the engine is a Zenoah G2D modified engine by marine-specialties.The clutch is the marine -specialties pro model clutch .I just finished installing it and when I did a bench test the clutch would not work.Now I noticed on the clutch shoe holder,one side has a tapered hole and the other is standard with a 1/8" lip around that hole.I have a sneaky suspicion that I have it reversed.Could you tell me which way it does go on?I also added a pump for cooling.
Thankyou
Al

soundguykaraoke50 02-24-2009 09:15 AM

i have been running clutches on most of my boats for over 20 years of my 30 years of rc boating.back in the day we all had minimum choices as we were converting weed-eaters to run in our boats.the homie had a pair of disks that expanded to a steel clutch bell,when the zen was introduced the clutch of choice was the marine specialties clutch,in its early days it was still the same setup as the homie used.then a year or so after that almost every body came out with the setup we see today,with the two shoes and spring loaded.i really liked the one that oniel brothers sells it is a stand alone setup that still uses the standard Colet that was on the crank shaft.now moved to the clutch housing.i have not put a water pump on any of my builds,the reason that a pump is there is for cooling the motor when the boat is in a stationary position.stopped and just idling.it is ok to stop for a moment or two but you must get the craft moving asap to allow water to get to the head.so if the boat stops for a 10 second stop there's no worries,if you do a lot of putting around off planing speed the a pump is a must.

soundguykaraoke50 02-24-2009 09:28 AM

the warehouse hobbies clutch is a tank of a clutch,its practically bulletproof but the down side is [now this is for the coned shaped one there offering]is the weight,now there pro clutch is much lighter and of a great quality.it was designed to be a replacement for the shockwaves setup.it is much beefier setup that wont come apart on you very easily

monsterbrad 02-24-2009 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did run my WHH set up all last summer and never posted the pics of the final product.
Well for those of you who have not seen it here it is.
Ran perfect all summer!

soundguykaraoke50 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

looking good,very clean setup.nice work,i wish all of my boats were this clean after a year of running.nice job Brad

monsterbrad 02-24-2009 09:44 AM

I wipe it and clean it every time.
Thanks
I take a ton of pride in this boat being my first large scale!
:D

soundguykaraoke50 02-24-2009 10:57 AM

i used to tear down my 1st boat after every day of running,but now i just have way to many boats to maintain.i really need to thin out my vast fleet,lol.i did get it down to 85 boats over the winter when my daughter and grand daughter had to stay here to help me out after the back surgery.but that was then ,now i am back at it. just started my new venture into a ready to race mono.so i need to clean house again.

your boat is real squeaky clean,looks great,keep up the good work,it will pay off in the future

monsterbrad 02-24-2009 02:12 PM

thanks again guys