RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   FUEL BAG ????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/7923688-fuel-bag.html)

monsterbrad 09-05-2008 04:18 PM

FUEL BAG ?????

Anybody running there return line from the primer bulb with the bag
I would like to
Anybody have pics???

glennb2006 09-05-2008 07:29 PM

RE: FUEL BAG ?????

No. Just leave it open.

flip3d454 09-05-2008 07:44 PM

y are you guys running a fuel bag. whats the pluss over a tank

monsterbrad 09-05-2008 08:01 PM

I want to hook up the primer
I tried to start the boat with out priming it and it would not start
Even with my finger over the carb
Or do I have to hold the throttle open and choke it at the same time?

lildude2599 09-05-2008 08:14 PM

Thats why you stay with a tank.

Silent-AV8R 09-05-2008 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: flip3d454

y are you guys running a fuel bag. whats the pluss over a tank
No air in the tank.
No chance of water in the tank when you flip it over.
No worries about clunk location or shifting during turns.
Steady consistent fuel draw from start to finish.

Ron Olson 09-05-2008 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did you happen to do something stupid like I did and hook up the fuel line to the return line fitting on the carb? Yeah, I did it......
Even worse, I took a picture not realizing my gas boat rookie mistake. I was wondering why pumping on the primer was filling my IV bag with air. Note the yellow line going to the primer and not to the fuel intake under the carb.

Macleod 09-06-2008 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DOH !!!!!!:)

Good one there Ron at showing the newbies the wrong way of connecting your fuel line from the bag to the carby........;).

And good one for taking a picture to show everyone........:):D:)

I was wondering the other day at one of our runs, why my gas mono was running weird.
When I got her back in, the fuel in the bag was white......hmmmmm....wonder why?
The bag got out of its position, under the front deck and was up on top of the tuned pipe.....[:@], after the mono had a small flip, but I recovered and kept running.

bullboy8 09-06-2008 04:38 AM

Newby question, but how long does a bag hold up until you have to replace it? And why was IV bags ever thought to be a good "fuel compartment"? I'm trying to see the plus sides, really:D

monsterbrad 09-06-2008 06:05 AM

I am trying to find out how this works with no primer bulb hooked up.
Mine will not even try to start with that not hooked up right now even when I chole it with my finger.
I hit the primer a few times finger over the carb pull it 2 or 3 times and snap its running every time.
I may just keep my dubro tank in there and move the clunk so it stops running out when it gets low from fuel slosh.
Again anybody hook up there primer with a fuel bag???

Macleod 09-06-2008 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of the Gas runners here where I run, use the WT257 carby with no primer.

Few that do use the WT644 with primer, run the return line in/out of the hull or back into the bag or tank. Some block it off.

I got rid of the WT644 at the bench test stage (Photo 1). The primer return made things messy with the primer excess fuel going into the hull or out onto the ground.

I have had great results with the WT257 (Photo 2) that I run now. My Zen starts every time.

glennb2006 09-06-2008 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: monsterbrad

I am trying to find out how this works with no primer bulb hooked up.
Mine will not even try to start with that not hooked up right now even when I chole it with my finger.
I hit the primer a few times finger over the carb pull it 2 or 3 times and snap its running every time.
I may just keep my dubro tank in there and move the clunk so it stops running out when it gets low from fuel slosh.
Again anybody hook up there primer with a fuel bag???

Just re-reading your posts on this, to make it clearer, the fuel in to the bottom of the carb is all you need, the top line is the return from the carb and as such is not a "primer line", the primer bulb gets the fuel from the carb fuel in (bottom line). So you can either leave the return open (My preffered choice) or if you have two lines on your IV bag, you could run it back to there, this will stop excess petrol ending up in the hull.

The bulb should bring fuel to the carb for you, then a couple of slow pulls with your finger over the air inlet should choke the motor enough to get it started at the next firm tug.

Hope this clears things up.

Glenn

JakeDW 09-06-2008 07:57 AM

As these guys are saying make sure you fuel line is in the bottom line comming out of the carb not the top line by the bulb.

Jake

Dan S 09-06-2008 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: bullboy8

Newby question, but how long does a bag hold up until you have to replace it? And why was IV bags ever thought to be a good "fuel compartment"? I'm trying to see the plus sides, really:D
if you keep the bag empty it will harden and wont last long.
always keep fuel in it, it should last a year or 2 and please Guy's chime in if you have some that lasted longer.

as to why was it thought of......its pretty much like with any other ideas that were thought of and tried.

quite a ways back someone thought it would be a good idea and decided to give it a try, obviously the results were in our favor.

Don't try it with Nitro, the bags can't handle the fuel.

no leaks,
no vents,
no lean runs,
no water in fuel,
etc...etc...etc...

try it....you will see the plus side.

Dan.

bullboy8 09-06-2008 01:51 PM

Thankks Dan S I prob. will down the road.

monsterbrad 09-07-2008 08:13 AM

Bags are cheap and they seem to work well for racers
I wanted to try one cause I am tired of my boat getting to a 1/4 tank and cutting out cause the tank is sloshing.
I am going to change the clunk over the winter and see if that helps.
If not the fuel bag will go in.
Thanks for the help guys you are all very helpfull