RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   MHZ GTX BUILD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/8010907-mhz-gtx-build.html)

Gpap 10-01-2008 11:01 PM

MHZ GTX BUILD

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

I thought I would share my GTX build with you all. We are building this for our display and have a bit of Fun :D

The Boat MHZ GTX
Engines 2 x SLAM260
Drives 2 x WD200 Steerable Drive
Clutch/Gear Box TBA

we will need to cut and offset the transom in order to take the two drives as they need to be 90 degrees to the buttom of Hull.

Thanks
GP
Hobby Depot P/L

Justaddwata 10-02-2008 12:38 AM

RE: MHZ GTX BUILD

Looks a nice build you have going on there GP.
Planning on Counter roating the props?

Keep us posted. ;)

Gpap 10-02-2008 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys yes we will be counter roating props, I have given it a thought and I think it will ride and handle much better.

Well its been a long day for me trying to run the shop and build the GTX in between but I have had a good run late this afternoon.

I also received all my anodissing peices today and from the pictures below you will notice that I Have strip down the drives and had them done in Gold, I will also run Gold with my water jackets, manifolds and possibly the pipes.

thanks for looking and if anybody has any ideas let me know.:)

Thanks
GP
Hobby Depot P/L

Gpap 11-13-2008 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all have spent some more time on the boat, I have found some small design faults and I will be rectifying that this week. The fault is on the steerable drives,,,,,, once mounted the adjustment of the drive angle is hard to adjust dew to the fixed mounting plate so I have pulled them apart and will be re making them so the angle of the drive can be adjusted with two small spanners with out pulling them out.
I also have my engines just about ready, I have reversed one of the cylinders so I can have the carbs on the inside witch will also allow the pipes to go down each side, the clutch/output drives are also from WD200 but are manufactured by somebody else (thomas marxs) also German they allow for two counter rotating outputs or you can chose one counter rotating and one standard on each side they are 1 to 1 gear ratio and the best part about these drives is that they do not require any special pull start or mounts etc and will balance the final drive much better than having engines reversed.

Justaddwata 11-15-2008 12:07 AM

Looking good.

Loving those gearboxes. Keep the pics coming !! ;)

Gpap 11-26-2008 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

I have managed a few spare hours so I put them into the build.

sheograth 11-26-2008 04:47 PM

It's so pretty [&:]

JCAustralia 11-26-2008 09:10 PM

George

Looking great and taking shape :D

I hope to see it real in your shop one day.....:)

JC

coyv10 11-26-2008 11:47 PM

Where did you get the 90 deg in take manifolds for the carbs?

Justaddwata 11-27-2008 12:05 AM

Amazing how much work has gone into having those motors side by side - I take my hat off to you there - I would have had to offset one or the other and gone the easy route.

Keep it coming there George ;)

Gpap 11-27-2008 01:23 AM

we stock them, they are about US$52.00 each

Gpap 11-27-2008 01:27 AM

thanks Guys

yeah its taking some time but its hard to jugle the shop and our other buisness and try and find time to do our own boats,, customers boats come first and then our own.

Im going out with some of the guys on sunday to do our first test run, and hopefully we get some action pics and vids to share with you all.

once we are happy with it we will go to paint

ByronRC 11-27-2008 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Gpap

Who is we? so I know for future reference. :D

Dana W 11-27-2008 03:35 PM

Nice job , can't wait to see the test results . Gota love that drive .

Dana W 11-27-2008 03:48 PM

George , I have to wonder how come the transom wasn't already set at 90 degrees from the bottom of the hull when it was made originally ? I guess I figured all R/C boat hardware was designed knowing the transom was 90 degree's from the bottom .

martno1fan 11-27-2008 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not all transoms are at 90% mine def isnt on my own stepped vee design so far its never been a problem setting one up but then i dont use stingers or outdrives on mine,even if i did a small offset can be made using some hardwood cut to shape ;).The fountain hull is another example its transom is also not at 90%.
Mart

Gpap 11-27-2008 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Not all transoms are at 90% mine def isnt on my own stepped vee design so far its never been a problem setting one up but then i dont use stingers or outdrives on mine,even if i did a small offset can be made using some hardwood cut to shape ;).
Mart
Ok this Hull is a true scale Model of the Original Outerlimits GTX XXX (47 foot) Hull, www.outerlimitspowerboats.com

My suppliers have now released a new set of drives that have the 15 degree angle on them but I have yet to see what they are like, I went with these drives for many reasons and the biggest reason was scale,, I can not advise on performance until this sunday.

martno1fan 11-27-2008 05:53 PM

Scale boats are special as far as im concerned and when you build a boat this big its the only way to go in my opinion.The drives you describe with the angle built in is a good idea,ive made offsets from wood and aluminium before if need be too.Thats what makes things more interesting for me the challenge of making things work .I cant wait to see how your boat runs,its something i can only dream about at this moment in time but one day its something im deffinateley going to do is build a big boat and yes it will be as scale as possible.Good luck with her maiden,look forward to seeing how she performs.
Mart

wetsleeves 11-27-2008 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: ByronRC

ORIGINAL: Gpap

Who is we? so I know for future reference. :D
http://www.hobbydepot.com.au

[sm=teeth_smile.gif]Peter

nvs motorsports 11-27-2008 10:11 PM

If your a shop arent you supose to comply to forum rules an state so
I had to change my details cause i manufacture hulls
Just a friendly warning love ya work by the way ;)

Gpap 11-28-2008 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: nvs motorsports

If your a shop arent you supose to comply to forum rules an state so
I had to change my details cause i manufacture hulls
Just a friendly warning love ya work by the way ;)

Thanks Bud

Have changed to suit,,, I did not know it was a crime sorry Guys.

nvs motorsports 11-28-2008 04:02 AM

Yes crime punishable by by selling all your boats an spending it on your wife :D
I think we can all vouch to sell our wifes an get another boat hahaha;)

Gpap 11-28-2008 04:29 AM

ORIGINAL: nvs motorsports

Yes crime punishable by by selling all your boats an spending it on your wife :D
I think we can all vouch to sell our wifes an get another boat hahaha;)
To true but I would not swap her for anything,,,, she is the one who advises that I need keep building Shop demos,,,,,,,,, just buy them a thing or two and they will leave you alone.

glennb2006 11-30-2008 09:03 PM

Not all transoms are at 90% mine def isnt on my own stepped vee design so far its never been a problem setting one up but then i dont use stingers or outdrives on mine,even if i did a small offset can be made using some hardwood cut to shape ;).The fountain hull is another example its transom is also not at 90%.
Mart
Mart,

you mention your own stepped vee design in the above posting, is it not the case that on the hull you make reference to, that you, in fact, copied it from someone you bought it off?

I know you made the freeboard higher etc, but, still a copy and I don't think you can claim it as your design.

Regards,

Glenn

martno1fan 12-01-2008 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: glennb2006

Mart
Mart,

you mention your own stepped vee design in the above posting, is it not the case that on the hull you make reference to, that you, in fact, copied it from someone you bought it off?

I know you made the freeboard higher etc, but, still a copy and I don't think you can claim it as your design.

Regards,

Glenn

WRONG i did not copy this design i took my old discontinued hull cut it up changed the design considerably and made my own design from the parts,i changed the step,the free board,the width and length not to mention it has a new top and now has a canopy which the old one did not.For your information i did not higher the freeboard i lowered it 2" at the highest point,so yes i do consider this my design whatever you may think not that i care what you think:eek:.There are many large hull manufacturesrs out there doing far worse than me by blatantly copying others boats 100% and it wouldnt suprise me if you owned one at some point?,i know there are quite a few apache copys out there aka the makara (just an apache copy :eek:) .
Mart
ps if you wish to contiunue this discussion Glenn feel free to pm me or call me on the phone theres plenty more id like to say but forum rules wont permit me.